• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Quickest bowler playing international cricket ATM?

jonbrooks

International Debutant
Milne got up to an impressive 153kph. He's definitely amongst the fastest bowlers playing ATM. I don't think I've seen any quick deliveries this summer.

How fast are the other quick bowlers bowling at the moment?

Flem274*

123/5
Johnson sustained some serious pace for a serious length of time during the Ashes. It isn't often a bloke can do that. Milne was probably helped by knowing he only had to bowl 4 overs so could just steam in and go hell for leather.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, Johnson was averaging around 146-147km/h all through the series. Pretty sure he hit 153 or 154 on a couple of occasions.

Huge number of guys who operate in the high 130s to mid 140s for their stock delivery - Broad, Anderson, Harris, Steyn, Roach, Junaid etc. - but only a handful who can aim for that 150 barrier with any regularity. You'd probably have Johnson, Milne, Pattinson and Steyn as the only 4 playing international cricket with any regularity who can get there. Johnson definitely the one who is most consistently quick.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
The quickest regular test bowlers are Steyn (in short bursts), Johnson and Morkel in that order. When Steyn really goes into psychopath mode he can get it up into the low-mid 150's, but Johnson would definitely have a faster average speed these days. Didn't see Johnson bowl any quicker than 150 in the ashes, but with that slingy low arm action he'd actually feel quicker to the batsmen who take longer to pick him up. Pattinson, Cummins and de Lange can (or could - hopefully their injuries haven't hurt their speed) also hit 150.

Last edited:

jonbrooks

International Debutant
The thing about Milne bowling is he doesn't look like he is exerting himself. He could well hit 160kph when he's at his prime.

Flem274*

123/5
Interesting you have Anderson in there - in England his pace is always hovering around 135kph, and the rest of the English lose a bit of pace too, but take them to Australia or New Zealand and they're regularly 138-142. It could be differences in the guns, but the paces of the spinners always stay pretty standard.

I've always wondered why either the guns show slower pace in general in England for pace or every bowler in England dials it back. #randomtangent

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
The thing about Milne bowling is he doesn't look like he is exerting himself. He could well hit 160kph when he's at his prime.
Heavily doubt it. He's already 21 and he's not bowling any quicker than he was when he was 18, so I don't think he'll get much faster than he is now. I do think he'll be able to sustain his top pace for longer periods of time as he gets stronger. When he was bowling in ODI's in SRL last year he was generally only in the 135-142 range.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Nah, only a rare few bowl that fast. Lee did it a little bit, and Tait and Shoaib at their quickest were there consistently. Milne is bowling 150+ because he's in good rhythm, and often when bowlers try to bowl as fast as they can they bowl slower than they otherwise would (hi Neil Wagner). Milne was told to let the handbrake off by Edgar so I think it's fair to say he was bowling at maximum pace. 150kph is pretty nice as is.

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
Heard that Milne got clocked at 156 a couple of years back? Any truth to those claims, not hard to imagine it was a lenient gun?

I reckon he will put on another couple of kmh in the next few years as he gets fitter and stronger, unless injury strikes of course.

jonbrooks

International Debutant
Heard that Milne got clocked at 156 a couple of years back? Any truth to those claims, not hard to imagine it was a lenient gun?

I reckon he will put on another couple of kmh in the next few years as he gets fitter and stronger, unless injury strikes of course.
I agree but others don't share our thoughts.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member

Can't remember him ever hitting that speed, though I can't claim to have seen every ball that he's ever bowled.

History of Milne speeds:
2010 Champion's League: Top speed of 146
2010 T20's v Pakistan: Top speed of 151
2012 ODI's v SRL: Top speed of 145
2014 T20 v WI: Top speed of 153

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
Can't remember him ever hitting that speed, though I can't claim to have seen every ball that he's ever bowled.

History of Milne speeds:
2010 Champion's League: Top speed of 146
2010 T20's v Pakistan: Top speed of 151
2012 ODI's v SRL: Top speed of 145
2014 T20 v WI: Top speed of 153
it was of a cricinfo comment, so a liberal dose of salt was used

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
it was of a cricinfo comment, so a liberal dose of salt was used
Haha, you can basically flush that one then given that according to cricinfo posters Murphy Su'a was a class allrounder.

Btw has anyone been following Stuff's "submit your cricket World XI" thing that they've got going on atm? One person picked Darren Sammy, Matt Prior and George Bailey. :wacko:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Haha, you can basically flush that one then given that according to cricinfo posters Murphy Su'a was a class allrounder.

Btw has anyone been following Stuff's "submit your cricket World XI" thing that they've got going on atm? One person picked Darren Sammy, Matt Prior and George Bailey. :wacko:
The George Bailey one made me giggle.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Didn't see Johnson bowl any quicker than 150 in the ashes, but with that slingy low arm action he'd actually feel quicker to the batsmen who take longer to pick him up. Pattinson, Cummins and de Lange can (or could - hopefully their injuries haven't hurt their speed) also hit 150.
In the Melbourne test Mitch hit 154 on the gun, a few of us were suspicious of it at the time but it was definitely ****ing sharp. In Adelaide in his first spell late on day 2 he bowled a full over in the 150's.......not sure there are many around doing that and it was by far the quickest bowling I've ever seen live.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Johnson, for me.

As others have observed his sustained pace (and new found accuracy, damn his eyes) makes him a relentless proposition to face.

There are quicks out there whose effort balls maybe top out higher, but no-one can maintain it over spell after spell like him.