• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** West Indian Domestic Season 2014

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Our domestic season, started with the 50 Over competition, gets under way on January 30th. This year Ireland have been invited as the guest team, which should add an extra dimension to the tournament. It will be very interesting to see how they do. The tournament is being held in T & T so expect the spinners to prove a handful, and the pacers can get some movement at the Queens Park Oval.

50 Over Tournament Schedule

January

Thursday, 30th: Windwards v Jamaica at Queen’s Park Oval

Friday, 31st: Guyana v Ireland at Queen’s Park Oval

February

Saturday, 1st: CCC v T&T at Queen’s Park Oval

Sunday, 2nd: Barbados v Leewards at Queen’s Park Oval

Monday, 3rd: Windwards v Ireland at Queen’s Park Oval

Tuesday, 4: Jamaica v Guyana at Queen’s Park Oval

Wednesday, 5th: CCC v Leewards at Shaw Park

Thursday, 6th: T&T v Barbados at Shaw Park

Friday, 7th: Windwards v Guyana at Queen’s Park Oval

Saturday, 8th: Jamaica v Ireland at Queen’s Park Oval

Sunday, 9th: CCC v Barbados at Queen’s Park Oval

Monday, 10th: T&T v Leewards at Queen’s Park Oval

Wednesday, 12th: Semi-final 1 – Zone A winner v Zone B second at Queen’s Park Oval

Thursday, 13th: Semi-final 2 – Zone B winner v Zone A second at Queen’s Park Oval

Saturday 15th: FINAL – Winner of Semi-final 1 v Winner of Semi-final 2 at Queen’s Park Oval

Beamer

50 Over Squads (I will update these as and when they get announced)

Barbados: TBA

Combined Colleges & Campuses: Steven Jacobs (captain), Floyd Reifer (player/coach), Anthony Alleyne, Ryan Austin, Kyle Corbin, Akeem Dewar, Kavem Hodge, Kyle Mayers, Kristopher Ramsaran, Wayne Morgan, Shacaya Thomas, Raymon Reifer, Chadwick Walton (wicket-keeper), Kesrick Williams

Guyana: Christopher Barnwell (Captain), Robin Bacchus, Trevon Griffith, Leon Johnson, Shivnarine Chanderpaul (vice-captain), Narsingh Deonarine, Ramnaresh Sarwan, Royston Crandon, Assad Fudadin, Anthony Bramble (W/K), Devendra Bishoo, Veerasammy Permaul, Ronsford Beaton, Paul Wintz

Ireland: TBA

Jamaica: Chris Gayle (Captain), John Campbell, Horace Miller, Nkrumah Bonner,Tamar Lambert, Jermaine Blackwood, Andre Mccarthy, Carlton Baugh, Andre Russell, David Bernard, Nikita Miller, Jerome Taylor, Andrew Richardson, Sheldon Cotterell

Leeward Islands: TBA

Trinidad & Tobago: Dwayne Bravo (Captain), Adrian Barath, Evin Lewis, Lendl Simmons, Darren Bravo, Jason Mohammed, Denesh Ramdin, Derone Davis, Rayad Emrit, Sunil Narine, Ravi Rampaul, Imran Khan, Yannic Carriah, Shannon Gabriel, Kevon Cooper

Windward Islands: TBA

Last edited by a moderator:

BeeGee

International Captain
Trinidad & Tobago: Dwayne Bravo (Captain), Adrian Barath, Evin Lewis, Lendl Simmons, Darren Bravo, Jason Mohammed, Denesh Ramdin, Derone Davis, Rayad Emrit, Sunil Narine, Ravi Rampaul, Imran Khan, Yannic Carriah, Shannon Gabriel, Kevon Cooper
How many first class cricketers have been called Imran Khan? Must be the most numerous, surely?

Good FC figures. Any chance he could play for the WI?

Last edited:

Beamer

There have been a fair few in the Caribbean alone, let alone Pakistan.

He's a handy all-round cricketer but not quite good enough to make the senior team. He is an aggressive right handed batsman and quickish leg spin bowler. Like most half decent spinners in our domestic cricket, he takes lots of wickets. When he was selected for the A team his bowling was very ineffective and his batting was useful but not good enough to be a senior team cricketer. But in this age where someone like Darren Sammy can have an automatic place in the test side, who knows?

Beamer

The Jamaican squad has been announced. The big news is that Jerome Taylor is finally back playing domestic cricket. By all accounts he looked quite rusty in the practice games but they have selected him on past performance. Lets hope he has a brilliant season because I would love to see him back at international level.

Controversially, Krishomar Santokie, one of the best Limited Overs bowlers in the region, has been left out as the West Indies team doctor said he would struggle to bowl 10 overs. This is even though he bowled 10 overs very effectively in all the practice matches. This is quite typical of cricket administration in the Caribbean, it really is a mess at territorial level.

Beamer

“We looked at the balance of the team and so on, and also the pitches in Trinidad which is where most of the matches will be played , are not playing like they did before. Traditionally, when you come to T&T , teams were accustomed to the ball turning . That is not the case. The pitches are a bit more green this time around and so we opted for the extra seamer.”

Interesting quote from the T & T Chief of Selectors. That does beg the question why they left out their best swing and seam bowler Marlon Richards? Another example of muddled thinking by selectors at territorial level.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I was going to start this thread myself closer to the start and send all you blokes VMs asking you to get involved. Awesome that I don't need to. :p

We haven't had a good West Indian domestic thread for a few seasons now; it used to be a very interesting read though so hopefully it can get back to its glory days.

More than anything I'm hoping for some good pitches this season to give us more of an accurate reflection of players' abilities. I like Nikita Miller, and no disrespect to him, but when he can take 52 wickets @ 7 in a First Class season then you need to re-evaluate your domestic setup a little.

Beamer

I'll try my best to post regularly when it the season gets going. I'm sure there will be lots for us to talk about, there usually is, even if it's mostly negative!

Agreed, our pitches are the biggest problem of all. There is also a lack of batting talent (4 day wise anyway) and incredibly poor administration, but batsmen and pacers from most countries would struggle on some of the pitches our guys have to play on. More than anything else, I want to see batsmen putting up good numbers with at least 5 or 6 players averaging over 50 with a few hundreds under their belt.

I'd also like to see a few pacers in the top wicket takers list alongside the spinners. Hopefully the captains will give them a few more overs to allow them to do this.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Jerome Taylor to come back like James Franklin. WAG.
We're all holding our breath with this latest comeback...some at the jamaican trials say he was down on pace but the jamaican coaches claim he will be hitting his straps fully when the competition starts in a few weeks. I must say it would be a massive boost for us if Jerome gets through this comp and then the four day one aswell!!..if he achieves that then a comeback against your lot in may just might be on the cards :D...on talent alone Jerome pushes Roach very hard for the title of "best pacer" in the Caribbean thats for sure.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Anyway...when all the squads are announced i'll try to do some profiles on who to look out for an stuff. Winwards are the defending champions but they are likely to be without shilly so it will be interesting to see how they cope with that loss....while CCC made the final last time so can the students repeat it again? we'll see

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Barbados squad

Squad: Sulieman Benn, Tino Best, Rashidi Boucher, Carlos Brathwaite, Kraigg Brathwaite, Jonathan Carter, Shane Dowrich, Fidel Edwards, Kirk Edwards, Jason Holder, Ashley Nurse, Dwayne Smith, Kevin Stoute, Kenroy Williams.

Reserves: Miguel Cummins, Jamar Griffith, Shai Hope.

The bim selectors are just pathetic...first they dump Kirk Edwards as captain even though he lead them to the 4 day title for the first time in years....but now they've decided to pick Tino and leave Cummings...who is one of the best prospects in the caribbean on the bench...(smh)

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
PEWS is getting so excited about all this niche discussion starting up on CW
I am, no doubt about it.

The fewer other cricket forums I have to go on the better, because most of them are terrible. It's easy to say "we don't have an Irish domestic cricket discussion thread because we don't have many people who follow Irish domestic cricket", but maybe the reason we don't have the supporters is because we don't have the thread. I've made it a personal project to start up threads for every major domestic season in the world (or encourage other people to when I cbf, as you discovered personally :ph34r:). We may attract some people from other parts of the world if we start up these threads and even if we don't at first, we'll probably get a couple of existing members more interested in domestic cricket across the world anyway which is great for a cricket site.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Well HERE is a scorecard from the latest CCC trial match...loads of talented young players in the mix there. One i'm happy to see is Kyle Hope!!..such a talented batsman but just hasn't clicked for Barbados yet...needs a change in environment imo and he could prosper big time...scored a double ton for the HPC in Bangledash a year ago from what i remember.

With the talent they have at their disposal i think they could do well in both the one day and 4day comps this season.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
on talent alone Jerome pushes Roach very hard for the title of "best pacer" in the Caribbean thats for sure.
Not even close in my mind. Taylor always struck me as a reliable work horse fast medium who occasionally had great days but more often just did a job. He only stood out because of the very weak bowling attack that WI had during his first run in the side. By comparison Roach is quicker, swings the ball more and is probably more accurate too. Pre-injury Taylor would be a good deputy to him though.

Flem274*

123/5
Jerome Taylor was a hell of a lot better than his career average suggests tbh. He's probably the first or second bowler most suited to being a third seamer that I've seen from the Windies recent stocks though so I guess I can see where you're coming from given the stereotype of the third seamer. Holder is the other.

Beamer

Not even close in my mind. Taylor always struck me as a reliable work horse fast medium who occasionally had great days but more often just did a job. He only stood out because of the very weak bowling attack that WI had during his first run in the side. By comparison Roach is quicker, swings the ball more and is probably more accurate too. Pre-injury Taylor would be a good deputy to him though.
I don't really agree with this tbh, Jerome pre-injury and Kemar are just different bowlers. Jerome had a beautiful long and rhythmical run up and a picture perfect follow through. He was the closest we've had to Holding in terms of an elegant bowling action. He was between 135kph and 145kph mostly, with the ability to get up to 148kph very occasionally. He would swing the new ball away from the right handers and also had an inswinger in his armoury. He could have been great, he had all the tools. Unfortunately his body was not up to the task and he was too lazy in his recovery (by all accounts anyway).

Kemar has a short run up with all the power coming in his delivery stride. He mostly swings or seams the ball in and then occasionally gets the ball to hold it's line or cut away. On top form he is a yard quicker than Jerome but in terms of what he can do with the ball he was actually quite a way behind him.

I really wish we had them both tbh, that would make for an excellent seam attack.

Beamer

Barbados squad

The bim selectors are just pathetic...first they dump Kirk Edwards as captain even though he lead them to the 4 day title for the first time in years....but now they've decided to pick Tino and leave Cummings...who is one of the best prospects in the caribbean on the bench...(smh)
I totally agree. There are so many awful selections at regional level it's no wonder the West Indies selectors are clueless. It's so dispiriting.