• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** West Indian Domestic Season 2014

ibiza

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Points Table
Zone A
Teams Mat Won Lost Tied N/R Pts Net RR
Guyana 1 1 0 0 0 5 +2.280
Jamaica 1 1 0 0 0 4 +0.280
Windward Is 1 0 1 0 0 0 -0.280
Ireland 1 0 1 0 0 0 -2.280

TimAngas

State Vice-Captain
Bit dissapointed in Ireland but probably a tough ask considering Guyana have seven capped internationals. (5 regulars)

Can I ask a West Indian: How close is Chanderpaul the younger from the Guyana side at the moment. I know he played a few first class matches last year including one with his dad and made a fourty odd.

ibiza

Tim

Ireland was rusty today , one can tell that they played their last game in December 2013 and indoor practice was not helpful to the team.

To leave a cool country and 3 days later play a game in 90 Deg F is very nasty . They had Guyana under control until the last 10 overs

the heat physically drained them . They are a better team that what was shown today , they are missing three players that England stole from them

They will cause a few upsets in this tourney .

Tangerine Chanderpaul is a case of Family name at the moment. I have seen him play and will be looking at him closely in the U19 Tourney over the next month in the
Far East . He is not on the West Indies Radar as yet. His performance in the U19 will tell us if he can make it to the next level.. Two others I will be watching
Solozano and 16 year old N Pooran Wicketkeeper/ Batsman in that U19 Tourney ...Chanderpaul and Solozano will show us what they are made off. Some good promising
bowlers but they need help . Wearing to much gold chains that can melt in midday sun , or turn one's neck green is detrimental to progress in caribbean Cricket .

Interesting times lie ahead.

brockley

International Captain
Will be interesting where Chanderpaul junior ends up is on Derbyshires' book as far as i know,played some 2nd xl cricket for them.

ibiza

Yes last season he played about 10 games for a team in Derbyshire , since his father was playing in the County leagues .

He will be back playing again this year . I wish the young man well .

Viv Richard's son will be playing tomorrow in the ODI's in Port Of Spain , Trinidad ..should be interesting to watch him.

Pollard has been sending two junior players to play in such leagues in England , last year he sent Savon Lara ( Cousin Of Brian) and another
promising player to get used to the English Conditions of swing bowling...This year he hasn't announced who will be sent as yet .
We have a lot of young promising players in Trinidad and Tobago ..but they are honing their skills towards T20 ....IPL.

ibiza

Sarwan, Chanders punish Ireland
By STEPHON NICHOLAS Saturday, February 1 2014
Newsday

VETERANS Ramnaresh Sarwan, 33-years-old and Shivnarine Chanderpaul, 39, proved once again the backbone of Guyana’s batting yesterday, stroking contrasting half-centuries in helping their team post the highest score of the tournament — 301/3 — against Ireland in a Zone A match of the Nagico Regional Super50 at the Queen’s Park Oval, Port of Spain.

The Irish were struggling at 33 for four off ten overs in their reply up to press time with pacer Paul Wintz responsible for three of the dismissals.

Sarwan — with a stupendous 89 from 62 balls — was the star of the show, hitting ten fours and blasting four sixes including two in the final over. Chanderpaul, who opened the innings with Trevon Griffith (62), provided the platform for Sarwan’s show, steering the innings with a resolute knock of 79 from 113 balls with seven fours and a six.

It was a timely reminder to to the regional selectors of the class of the duo with the ICC World Cup coming up in 2015. Chanders has not played a 50 overs match for the Windies in over 2 1/2 years while Sarwan has fallen out of favour after a loss of form.

But the latter in particular, showed the type of class and strokes that made him a mainstay in the regional side previously, taking charge late alongside Leon Johnson as Guyana finished on a canter with 73 runs coming in the last five overs.

Earlier, Ireland captain William Porterfield won the toss and sent Guyana in to bat. The left-handed Chanderpaul and Trevon Griffith took full advantage of the offer to bat, taking the score to 84 without loss after 20 overs.

The pair were batting patiently, bringing up the 100 in the 24th over.

Both batsmen reached their 50 in the same over, Chanderpaul taking 71 balls while Griffith needed 78.

But Griffith, taking on the medium pace of Kevin O’Brien, but was left dumbstruck as Max Sorensen at mid-off dove full stretch to his left to pluck the ball out of the air and end his innings for a well played 62. Chanders continued untroubled, waltzing down the track to slam spinner George Dockrell for a six and ventured down the track again a few balls later to drive him past mid-off for four to move to 72.

The former ICC Player of the Year, dropped off O’Brien, fell three balls later to the same bowler, Tim Murtagh making no mistake at mid-on with the catch.

Sarwan and his skipper Christopher Barnwell put on 65 runs, as the tempo quickly changed with Chanderpaul’s dismissal.

Barnwell got off the mark with a cracking shot through cover that raced to the ropes while Sarwan oozed class with a shot that pierced the point and backward point fielders to take the score to 178 for two. And he brought up the 200 in the 44th over, smashing a four off Murtagh while Barnwell proved he had the measure of the long-on fielder, clearing him twice for the maximum as Murtagh’s over went for 19.

Barnwell continued his assault next over, hoisting O’Brien back over his head for a towering six but miscued an attempted pull shot and was caught for a quick-fire 31.

Sarwan got to his 50 off 46 balls and alongside Leon Johnson, had the Guyanese fans in the Oval waving their flags with glee, celebrating every boundary.

Johnson showed he was no slouch with the bat, taking two fours off Murtagh in an over that went for 14 while Sarwan closed the show with two sixes and a four in the final over.

SUMMARISED SCORES:

GUYANA 301/3 (50 overs) - Ramnaresh Sarwan, 89 not out, Shivnarine Chanderpaul 79, Christopher Barnwell 31, Leon Johnson 27 not out, Kevin O’Brien 3/56 vs
IRELAND. (all out; 38.3 overs) 187 (4.85 runs per over)

ibiza

Game 1st Feb 2014 at 1:30 pm ...Port Of Spain , Trinidad

Leewards vs CCC

Leeward Islands

Since their 2010 triumph, the Leewards have had little success in the 50-over arena.
However they cannot be counted out because once in a while they deliver the unexpected.
The 2010 tie against Barbados in the 50-over final and then their upset victory over the Bajans in last year’s tournament prove that the Leewards can compete with the best.
They were winless in the 2011 competition and were again at the bottom of the standings last year however.
The appointment of 23-year-old Kieran Powell as captain could inspire the team to do better this year.
The experience of leg-spinner Anthony Martin, all-rounder Justin Athanaze, and fast bowlers Gavin Tonge and Lionel Baker—who were all members of the victorious 2010 team--could see them cause some more upsets with sufficient determination.
They face the Combined Campuses and Colleges in the opening match of Zone B on Saturday at the Oval.

LEEWARD ISLANDS: Kieran Powell (captain), Devon Thomas (vice captain/wicket-keeper), Justin Athanaze, Lionel Baker, Quinton Boatswain, Rahkeem Cornwall, Jahmar Hamilton, Montcin Hodge, Sylvester Joseph, Anthony Martin, Mali Richards, Gavin Tonge, Hayden Walsh Jr, Kelbert Walters. Head Coach: Ridley Jacobs.

Combined Campuses and Colleges

The team better known as CCC or “The Students” surprised many, including T&T en route to last year’s final.Their squad is almost identical to last year’s except for the appointment of Guyanese all-rounder Steven Jacobs as skipper.
The hard-hitting middle order batsman and deceptive off-spinner took over the captaincy from Kyle Corbin and will be looking to improve his credentials as a leader.
There are four Jamaicans, six Bajans, one Trinidad and Tobago player and two Windward Islanders in the CCC lineup, and despite reaching last year’s final, “The Students” will again start this year’s competition as underdogs.
One thing is certain though, the CCC squad will have the respect of fellow Zone B team Barbados and T&T, having beaten both in last year’s tournament.

CCC: Steven Jacobs (captain), Anthony Alleyne, Ryan Austin, Kyle Corbin, Akeem Dewar, Kavem Hodge, Kyle Mayers, Kristopher Ramsaran, Wayne Morgan, Shacaya Thomas, Raymon Reifer, Chadwick Walton (wicket-keeper), Kesrick Williams, Floyd Reifer (player/coach).

Greetings everyone! Hi and Welcome to the match between Combined Campuses and Colleges and Leeward Islands here at Port of Spain.

Radar doesn't look pretty as rain might interrupt the play and stay tuned for the toss. News coming in is that CCC have won the toss and opted to bat first.

Its drizzling and covers are on the square at the moment. As expected, dark-clouds have hovered back and its raining quite heavily here at Port of Spain. Players are sipping tea in the pavilion and do join us when play resumes.

Good news is that rain has halted and covers are off the field but its still heavily overcast.

CCC batting

Over 2....13/0

Martin to Walton, OUT, struck on the pads and off for a suicidal run, Gone! Skipper sprints in and throws to the keeper, out by a mile!
CAK Walton run out 30 (29b 3x4 1x6) SR: 103.44

Over 11...58/1

Over 15....64/1

Over 20 ...86/1

Athanaze to Corbin, OUT, tossed up on off stump, gets a bg stride forward as the ball spun past to fox his defence and thuds on his front pad
KAM Corbin lbw b Athanaze 29 (55b 3x4 1x6) SR: 52.72

over 24 ..102/2

Viv Richards son Marli is bowling , Right hand bowler... left hand bat ...needs help to get to next level ( Ambrose)

Over 30....128/2

Tonge to RA Reifer, OUT, Athanaze never looked like dropping it. Touch fuller on off stump and decides to go over mid-off, not much bat on that as he skied a dolly to Athanaze
RA Reifer c Athanaze b Tonge 29 (45b 3x4 0x6) SR: 64.44

Baker to Jacobs, OUT, another one bites the dust. Shorter in length, got him by surprise and miscued a pull to fine leg. Tonge covers good ground and takes a fine catch
SA Jacobs c Tonge b Baker 10 (18b 0x4 0x6) SR: 55.55

over 40....167/5

Over 44...197/5

Martin to FL Reifer, OUT, tossed up and Reifer smacked straight. Tonge runs in from wide long on region, wobbles and takes a fine catch
FL Reifer c Tonge b Martin 26 (30b 1x4 0x6) SR: 86.66

Over 47....220/6

Martin to Mayers, OUT, high but not handsome! Fuller on off stump, waits and whacked straight, straight to Athanaze at long off
KR Mayers c Athanaze b Martin 1 (4b 0x4 0x6) SR: 25.00

231/7

Martin to Thomas, OUT, another one bites the dust and Thomas this time. Length ball on off stump, rocks back for the pull but ended up sking one to Tonge at long off who takes third catch
SE Thomas c Tonge b Martin 35 (28b 0x4 3x6) SR: 125.00

Tonge to Dewar, OUT, fuller on middle and off, opts to swing across the line and off stump goes for a walk. Beautiful sight for the fast bowler
AMA Dewar b Tonge 5 (3b 1x4 0x6) SR: 166.66

Tonge to Williams, OUT, who wants it? Yes, Thomas calls for it and pouched it safely. Fuller on off stump and heaved it, no tiing whatsoever as it flew back over his head
KOK Williams c †Thomas b Tonge 1 (2b 0x4 0x6) SR: 50.00

All Out 240..49.5 overs

Leewards Islands Batting

Leewards Islands

Williams to Powell, OUT, would you believe it? Out first ball. Pitched up delivery, close to the stumps, Powell on the front foot nicks one back to the keeper. Early set back for Leeward Islands.
KOA Powell c †Walton b Williams 0 (1b 0x4 0x6) SR: 0.00

Williams to Richards, OUT, I wonder if he is gone! Yes he has to take a long walk back. Pitched on off stump, nudged to cover and was in eager to get off mark. Hodge sends him as he no where on earth he could reached on time. Thomas picks up the ball and cracks at the strikers end. Gone!
MA Richards run out 0 (15b 0x4 0x6) SR: 0.00

Mayers to Joseph, OUT, gone! Pitched up on middle and off, shaped back in a bit, Joseph on the front foot falls over as he played all around that. Gone lbw. Third duck of the innings.
SC Joseph lbw b Mayers 0 (6b 0x4 0x6) SR: 0.00

Mayers to Thomas, OUT, Thomas falls for the trap. Short on off stump, Thomas decides to pull and found the lone fielder in the deep. Deewar at backward square comes in and takes a good low catch.
DC Thomas c Dewar b Mayers 4 (13b 0x4 0x6) SR: 30.76

RA Reifer to Hodge, OUT, length ball on off stump and crunched to cover region. Thomas jumps to perfection and takes a lovely catch
MV Hodge c Thomas b RA Reifer 10 (42b 0x4 0x6) SR: 23.80

Mayers to Cornwall, OUT, he has done it by himself! Pitched on off, shaped in and a big gap between pad and bat as it was enough for the ball to sneak through to send the birthday boy packing. Jubilation for Mayers and his team
RRS Cornwall b Mayers 5 (5b 1x4 0x6) SR: 100.00

Leeward Islands 26/6 in 13.4 overs! Sorry looking scorecard if your a Leeward fan. Two new men in the middle to face the music.

RA Reifer to Hamilton, OUT, and another one bites the dust. Angled away from the batsman and a regulation edge to the keeper. Procession continues, one after another!
JN Hamilton c †Walton b RA Reifer 0 (2b 0x4 0x6) SR: 0.00

Mayers to Athanaze, OUT, the rout continues! Pitched on off and shaped back in, undone by some extra bounce and gloved one back to the keeper. Fifth duck of the innings.
JJ Athanaze c †Walton b Mayers 0 (5b 0x4 0x6) SR: 0.00

Over 16.....29/8

Mayers has pulled a muscle and walking off the field.

RA Reifer to Tonge, OUT, edged and gone! Another surrender here
GC Tonge c †Walton b RA Reifer 2 (13b 0x4 0x6) SR: 15.38

Leewards .....38/9

Hodge to Martin, OUT, someone catch it! Reifer holds on to a dolly. Tossed up on off stump, clears his front leg and skied towards long on
A Martin c RA Reifer b Hodge 16 (17b 1x4 1x6) SR: 94.11

Leewards all out 80 runs.

Last edited:

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Ibiza!!..bravo to your good work my friend!!..it's great to see. Perhaps you could also contribute to the west indies domsetic thread aswell? the more wi fans we have on there the better. As for todays game...I agree Ireland started off very well and had Guyana bogged down until Barnwell, Sarwan and Johnson went crazy...i'm especially pleased to see Johnson continue his good form after doing well for the A-team recently.

Beaton was very good i thought...people are saying he could be another Holding...we'll see.

Chanderpaul Jr is currently with the wi u19s and hopefully he'll do well with them...i agree Solozano looks class...but i was also impressed with the Jamaican batsman Fabien Allen...really looked decent in the bangladesh series...also in the bowling Ray Jordan could be massive if he works hard.

ibiza

Windie ..

I spoke to some of the Irish players after the game ..the ran out of gas as I stated with about 15 overs to go and bowled quite a few log hops
and full tosses ..they found it hard to concentrate....the heat was a problem for them the longer they stayed on the field.
They will cause a few upsets.

My only problem with Beaton and its his bowling action at the end ...

Notice how his head is not facing the bowler but towards his feet . He will have difficulty with control and will spray balls.

I will not compare him to Holding . I view him as an accident waiting to happen should a Gayle or Pollard hit that ball back at him
during those few seconds , he is not looking up.

I hope it doesn't happen and wish the barbados born young man well.

I agree with your comments on the U19 and hope they bring the Trophy home. I am very interested to see how they do against the best
at their age group.

ibiza

Bravo expects good WI U-19 performance
Thursday, January 30 2014

West Indies batsman Darren Bravo has backed West Indies Under-19s to do very well in the upcoming ICC Under-19 World Cup in the United Arab Emirates.

After a week-long camp in at the Sagicor High Performance Centre in Barbados, the young Windies arrived in the United Arab Emirates yesterday morning where they will have another camp at the Emirates Palace Ground in Abu Dhabi.

Bravo, who topped both the batting and bowling averages for the West Indies at the ICC Under-19 World Cup in Malaysia 2008, gave his full support to the class of 2014. Bravo scored 165 runs at an average of 55 and also took three wickets at an average of just seven with his swing bowling as West Indies played most of their matches in Kuala Lumpur.

“It’s an exciting time in anyone’s career to be playing in an Under-19 World Cup. I totally enjoyed my time and I want to urge the West Indies team to pull out all the stops as they try to win the tournament,” Bravo said.

“I was in the nets recently with two of the players – Jeremy Solozano and Nicolas Pooran and they were very focussed (and) ready for the big tournament.”

Remembering his time at that event, Bravo recalled, “We had a wonderful time in Malaysia. Our team was a strong one, but we didn’t manage to win the tournament. I remember the opening ceremony, where all the teams were present and where we got to meet a lot of our opponents and ‘talk cricket’ – I made some friends that day and we remain good friends still.”

Since then, Bravo has gone on to achieve big things at the senior level as well, posting the highest score by a West Indies batsman when following on in a Test match (218 v New Zealand in the first Test at Dunedin) late last year. He said the ICC U19 CWC helped prepare him for the big stage.

“It was a good eye-opener, and I was delighted to represent the West Indies for the first time. For most of my teammates, it was the first time we were representing the people of our region,” Bravo said.

“So we got to understand how much it meant to the people and also what our responsibilities are. Significantly, we learned to enjoy the game and be good ambassadors,” added the left-hander who was a member of the West Indies team which won the World T20 back in 2012.

This year’s ICC Under-19 World Cup will be a 16-day tournament with 48 matches played across seven venues. The Windies have been drawn alongside South Africa, Zimbabwe and Canada in Group C. Their opening preliminary match is against the Proteas on February 14 at the Dubai International Stadium.

The second match is on February 16 against Zimbabwe at the Sheikh Zayed Stadium in Abu Dhabi. The third match is two days later against the Canadians at the Sheikh Zayed Stadium Nursery Ground 1.

Stressing on the importance of the tournament for young cricketers, Bravo said: “The facilities in Malaysia were really good, as they usually are at an ICC U19 CWC.

“That helped me and my teammates then – the likes of Adrian Barath, Kieran Powell, Devon Thomas, Veerasammy Permaul and Nkrumah Bonner – who like myself have gone on to play for the West Indies senior team.

“We had a great team-spirit, and were able to have a really enjoyable time, playing some good cricket and also getting to see a bit of the host nation,” added the 24-year-old.

WI squad: Ramaal Lewis (captain), Nicholas Pooran (vice- captain/wicketkeeper), Fabian Allen, Tagenarine Chanderpaul, Bryan Charles, Tristan Coleman (wicketkeeper), Jonathan Drakes, Shimron Hetmeyer, Jerome Jones, Ray Jordan, Brandon King, Preston McSween, Marquino Mindley, Gudakesh Motie and Jeremy Solozano.

ibiza

Points Table
Zone A

Zone B

Comb C&C 1 1 0 0 0 5 +3.200
Leeward Is 1 0 1 0 0 0 -3.200

ibiza

Zone B Trinidad & Tobago Vs Barbados

Venue: Queen’s Park Oval Start Date: 2014-02-02 1:30pm

Trinidad and Tobago

Fielding one of the strongest teams in the tournament, the 2008 and 2009 champions should be one of the favourites to lift the Clive Lloyd Trophy.
But having some of the best players around does not guarantee silverware. Last year T&T were missing some of their big guns but still won all six round robin matches before a spineless showing in the semi-final against the Combine Campuses and Colleges saw them crash out.

New leadership in Dwayne Bravo could be the injection T&T needs to rediscover their fighting spirit and the inclusion of Ravi Rampaul, Sunil Narine, Darren Bravo and Kevon Cooper, who were all absent for last year’s semi-final loss will be a plus.

But exciting left-hander Evin Lewis could steal the spotlight.
His presence was felt in the Champions League T20 tournament last year as he finished fourth on the batting charts, and with the Super50 being broadcast live on ESPN, it will be another opportunity for him to remind the world of his talent.

T&T squad: Dwayne Bravo (captain), Adrian Barath, Evin Lewis, Lendl Simmons, Darren Bravo, Jason Mohammed, Denesh Ramdin (wicket-keeper), Rayad Emrit, Sunil Narine*, Ravi Rampaul, Imran Khan, Yannick Ottley, Shannon Gabriel, Kevon Cooper; Kelvin Williams (coach), Manohar Ramsaran (manager). * Narine will not be available for this game .

Barbados
Kevin Stoute takes over the captaincy from Kirk Edwards, but the Barbadian side remains mostly unchanged from the one that missed out on a place in ast year’s semi-finals.
The addition of Fidel Edwards, Tino Best and Jason Holder should strengthen their bowling, while Dwayne Smith is sure to be explosive with the bat.

The combination could be lethal and will make for a mouth-watering clash against hosts T&T on Sunday at the Queen’s Park Oval in what has been described as a must-win match for both teams.
The former skipper Edwards is also likely to play a key role with the bat after some good performances for the West Indies and West Indies A in recent 50 over matches.
His most recent 50 over innings was an unbeaten 123 against New Zealand. If he can maintain that form, then the other Zone B teams could find themselves in all kinds of trouble.

BARBADOS: Kevin Stoute (captain), Sulieman Benn, Tino Best, Rashidi Boucher, Carlos Brathwaite, Kraigg Brathwaite, Jonathan Carter, Shane Dowrich (wicket-keeper), Fidel Edwards, Kirk Edwards, Jason Holder, Ashley Nurse, Dwayne Smith, Kenroy Williams; Hendy Springer (coach).

Last edited:

ibiza

T&T, Barbados begin NAGICO quest
By By Roger Seepersad

T&T Express
Story Created: Feb 1, 2014 at 9:36 PM ECT

Trinidad and Tobago will be looking to put the Barbados batsmen under pressure when the two teams meet in the NAGICO Super50 tournament at Queen’s Park Oval, Port of Spain from 2 p.m. today.

Both sides are filled with international stars and have been preparing for the tournament since last year but T&T skipper Dwayne Bravo feels his “all-round” team has the edge over the strong bowling attack the Barbadians will be bringing.

“We just have to play to our strengths and be positive in whatever it is we do and try to put the Bajans under some pressure,” said Bravo.
“We have a lot of respect for the Barbados team. They are one of the better teams in the region; there is no doubt about that.

“They have some international players and their bowling line-up is very strong,” Bravo explained.
Among the opposition bowlers are Sulieman Benn, Tino Best, Fidel Edwards, Jason Holder and Ashley Nurse with all-rounder Dwayne Smith also expected to lend his experience.

“They come into the game with five top bowlers. We know that their strength is their bowling and we also know that their batting is not as deep or as strong as their bowling so we will have to put pressure on their batting,” the T&T skipper pointed out.

Looking at his own team, Bravo said: “For T&T, our strength is that we are a good all-round team.”
T&T also have a lot of international players in the skipper and his younger brother Darren Bravo, Lendl Simmons, Denesh Ramdin and Adrian Barath while exciting youngster Evin Lewis will be looking to bolster his reputation as a top order batsman.

“We bat fairly deep and we have a good bowling attack as well so I think it is going to be a very good game and the I think the team that cope better under pressure are going to win,” he added.
In terms of their bowling T&T will have pacers Ravi Rampaul, Shannon Gabriel, Kevon Cooper, Rayad Emrit and Dwayne Bravo to choose from while their spinner options include Sunil Narine, who will join the team for the second match, Yannick Ottley, Imran Khan and Jason Mohammed.
Barbados coach Henderson Springer was confident his players will be able to handle the pressure and beat the hosts and is banking on all his players to add value to the team.

“The experienced players will have to do most of the work but there are some other players who will have to do some work as well,” he said.
“All the players will have to add value to the team. We have a good mixture of players and we have to manifest all this experience in numbers, in wickets and runs, so it is just a matter of executing tactics.”
Springer added: “It is a big rivalry because you have probably two of the best combinations of players in the region. It will be a good examination for both teams.”
The sides are expected to play before the largest crowd of what has so far been a poorly attended series.

SQUADS
T&T: Dwayne Bravo (Captain), Adrian Barath, Evin Lewis, Lendl Simmons, Darren Bravo, Jason Mohammed, Denesh Ramdin (wicket-keeper), Rayad Emrit, Sunil Narine, Ravi Rampaul, Imran Khan, Yannick Ottley, Shannon Gabriel, Kevon Cooper; Kelvin Williams (coach).

BARBADOS: Kevin Stoute (Captain), Sulieman Benn, Tino Best, Rashidi Boucher, Carlos Brathwaite, Kraigg Brathwaite, Jonathan Carter, Shane Dowrich (wicket-keeper), Fidel Edwards, Kirk Edwards, Jason Holder, Ashley Nurse, Dwayne Smith, Kenroy Williams; Hendy Springer (coach).
Modify message

ibiza

Former West Indies opening batsman Bryan Davis has called for a new coach

Davis calls for new Windies coach
Sunday, February 2 2014
newsday

FORMER NATIONAL and West Indies opening batsman Bryan Davis has called for a new coach for the Windies team, in his recent column on the Catholic News.

Under the headline “Vacancy: West Indies coach”, Davis began his hard- hitting column with a recent quote from current WI coach Ottis Gibson - “they gave us a lesson on how to chase in this format” — following the team’s 2-0 T20 series defeat in New Zealand.

“Reading the above quotation carefully, one could be forgiven for thinking that the words are those of the Canada cricket coach talking about the West Indies; after all, West Indies are the World Champions in this format!

Therefore, I can only conclude that the severe bashing that Gibson has taken in India and New Zealand in the past three months, has warped his judgement, ergo he can no longer be entrusted to execute rational decisions for the West Indies cricketers in a series! In other words, to put it frankly, he has lost it!”

Davis attacked the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) and its territorial bodies for not giving the regional public “some sort of explanation to build our confidence as to what is really going on.”

He wrote, “Gibson, just a few months ago, had his contract renewed for three years! There must be a termination clause somewhere in that agreement so that he could be released immediately! Are they going to wait for him to sink us further? Can’t they tell from his remarks that he does not know what he’s about?”

Davis highlighted Gibson’s habit of stating, in pre-match media conferences, that he wants more runs from the team’s batsmen.

“I always want to scream out to him “that’s what we all want”!

What he should really be telling us, is what he’s doing to encourage and motivate his batsmen to get more runs!”

Davis continued, “is the problem skill, attitude, preparation? But no, he prefers to make excuses that Chris Gayle, Kieron Pollard, Marlon Samuels and Kemar Roach are all missing! Gibson wants the Caribbean public to accept that without certain players our cricket is at a standstill!

“Consequently, West Indies do not need a coach for its team, for they achieve only on the ability of the cricketer of the moment and whether that cricketer is up to it or not.

No one’s cricket can be improved, according to Gibson’s thinking! “It’s a terrible sign of weakness for a coach to hide behind missing players! Leave that speculation to the press!”

The cricket analyst pointed out, “as the coach, one’s job is to lift the standard and build the confidence of all players and it has nothing to do with who’s available or not. This is nothing but an excuse by the Barbadian, trying to pull the wool over the eyes of his bosses, in this case the administration of the WICB.

“The shell-shocked coach ought to have been giving his men more catching practice and should have tried straightening out their minds so they could enjoy the cricket and stop complaining like a bunch of sissies about missing home as if that’s a valid reason for poor performance!”

Davis also attacked Gibson’s remarks indicating that the West Indies recent struggles could have also been attributed to the lack of technical skills of the “replacement players.”

“I am here relating words and actions of someone selected to administer to international cricketers the proper way to approach the contest in order to release their potential and so improve performance and establish beneficial results.

“I call on our local Directors on the WICB, Baldath Mahabir and Dr Allen Sammy to let us have a couple of answers. Do you esteemed gentlemen believe that Gibson is doing a good job as coach or needs to be replaced?

Do you think that selectors Clyde Butts, Robert Haynes and Courtney Browne are knowledgeable, wise and intelligent analysts of the game of cricket with in-depth expertise of players’ ability; in addition to which, their psychological make-up to determine their attitude to on-field situations? It would be lovely to hear from the WICB or any of their representatives,” he ended.

ibiza

Too good to be true By Tony Cozier

Too good to be true By Tony Cozier
Story Created: Feb 1, 2014 at 9:31 PM ECT

A BRIGHT new future for West Indies cricket dawned last week.
At least, that’s how the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) interpreted the comprehensive overhaul of the International Cricket Council (ICC), initiated unequivocally for their benefit by India, England and Australia, that it enthusiastically supported (“after extensive discussions and careful consideration”) at the directors’ meeting on Tuesday and Wednesday in Dubai.

There is a certain irony to its ready acceptance of such a radical transformation to the way the world game is administered.
Twice, it has commissioned independent committees to advise on just such change to its own organisation. Twice, it has utterly ignored them.
The remit of the first, headed by the former Jamaica prime minister PJ Patterson, was “to consider the composition and structure of the WICB and to make recommendations which will improve its overall operations, governance effectiveness, team performance and strengthen its credibility and public support.”
It presented its comprehensive report in October 2007. Last year, a frustrated Patterson charged: “I challenge anyone to point out a single iota or even the semblance of change which has been made to the composition and structure of the WICB as a result of our report.”

A similar brief was subsequently given to a team of three, under chairman of its governance committee, Queen’s Counsel Charles Wilkin. It presented its report in January, 2012.

It has gone the same way as Patterson’s.
“The territorial board directors flatly rejected the recommendations of the governance committee as to the restructuring of the board and refused to make any change at all to the current structure,” Wilkin, understandably irate, stated in his letter of resignation.

The main reason for the WICB’s contrasting positions is easy to spot. Patterson and Wilkin both proposed a reduction in the number of directors and they were not about to vote themselves out of their prestigious positions; under the Superpowers’ takeover of the ICC, its internal business was not an issue.
It was obviously marginalised as a result but it saw financial and other benefits from towing the line. Beggars, after all, can’t be choosers.

It noted that, even though the all-powerful Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) would take a “central leadership responsibility” of the ICC, it would remain a full member with all the attendant rights; its candidates would even be eligible for election to the presidency and the chairmanship of the Executive Committee (ExCo) and Financial and Commercial Affairs Committee (F&CA), both recently established under the restructuring, but not for at least five years when these top posts are reserved for the Big Three.
There was the assurance that the West Indies are no longer in danger of losing Test status, gained in 1928, or of slipping into a proposed second division. That, it explained, only applies to those ranked ninth and tenth in the ICC Test rankings — and, it pointed out, the West Indies are presently seventh (proudly adding that they are also the World Twenty20 champions).

What is more, under the new “mutually agreed” and “legally binding” Future Tours Programmes (FTP), it is possible for the West Indies to play more Tests, ODIs and Twenty20s against higher ranked opponents, both home and away.
The WICB asserted that, after “initial discussions”, India, England and Australia, “have all committed to increased tours to the West Indies over the next eight year cycle (2015-2023)”, in addition to those currently on the existing FTP. They are the only three guaranteed to earn the WICB a profit on visits to the Caribbean.

Two sequels are that there are no longer obligations to host either unprofitable tours — those against anyone but Australia, England and India — or any during the hurricane season, as has obtained for the past 20 years.
The clincher, inevitably, involved money.
It came through the proposed sharing of the ICC’s revenue between its members over the eight year cycle from 2015 to 2023; the WICB has projected an increase of at least 100 per cent on what it got under the previous arrangement between 2006 and 2014.

No figure was given; it is reportedly between US$70 and US$80 million. While it pales in comparison with the $568 million that is slated to go to India in recognition of the estimated 80 per cent it contributes to the ICC’s revenue, mainly through its media and commercial rights contracts, and even England’s US173 million and Australia’s US$130.5 million, it is a tidy sum for a region comprised of small islands with struggling economies and limited populations.
The question is how will it be utilised. The WICB’s answer is that it would allow it “to realistically examine the possibility of a menu of initiatives and expansions”, principally increasing the number of regional matches in all formats.

Richard Pybus, the new director of cricket, has already recognszed the constraints of the current NAGICO Super50 in Trinidad and Tobago, with its maximum of five matches a team, minimum of three. It needs to revert to its 2013, non-sponsored format in which each team met the other prior to the semis and final.
The same holds true for the first-class tournament, now limited to one round.

The promise of an annual Test match fund, conceived to support members other than the Big Three in hosting loss-making series, provides what the WICB described as a “financial buffer” for hosting unprofitable series against lesser teams. At present, the West Indies’ faltering, never-ending standards are part of that equation.

The WICB’s optimistic take on what has emerged from Dubai sounds too good to be true. It has enough previous experience to appreciate that it often turns out to be true. Remember the name Allen Stanford?
We eagerly await further developments.

ibiza

BREAKING NEWS ...

KIRK EDWARDS Sent home...more Info as it becomes available .

Confirmed on VOB , Barbados ....

Barry and Mason...to quote them is an extremely serious turn of events

Press release.. 12:00
PORT-OF-SPAIN, Trinidad –

The WICB today advised that batsman Kirk Edwards has been withdrawn from the Barbados team for the NAGICO Super50 tournament.

The decision was made by the Barbados Cricket Association on Saturday. There will be no replacement for Edwards.

Barbados play their opening Zone B match against Trinidad & Tobago at Queen’s Park Oval on Sunday. First ball is 2 pm (1pm Jamaica Time).

Cozier announcing that Kuk has been withdrawn and not to be replaced.
he is not injured and therefore it must be a disciplinary matter

Barbados won the toss and will bat ...

Match pitch is still covered , rain still drizzling..heavy rain now ...but a game will be played ..D/L may come into play..

A long delay in store ..still raining blue sky towards the East .. a good sign

Loss of a few overs is expected...

You chook 3 stumps at the QPO ..u get rain...

T&T Team ...

Dwayne Bravo*, Barath, Lewis, Simmons, Darren Bravo, Mohammed, Ramdin+, Emrit, Rampaul, Khan, Cooper.

Umpires to check ground at 2:45 pm EST ....

Barbados team

Kevin Stoute*, Benn, Boucher, Brathwaite, Brathwaite, Carter, Dowrich+, F.Edwards, Holder, Nurse, Smith.

Last edited:

ibiza

Barbados Batting

Game is on...

Over one....8/0

DJ Bravo to KC Brathwaite, OUT, and that's the wicket! He teased him with length deliveries outside the off stump and this time around the line is moved to where a fourth stump would've been. Enough to sow seeds of doubt in Kraigg's mind. He looks to defend and then changes his mind at the last moment to drive. All he gets is an inside edge that crashes onto the stumps
KC Brathwaite b DJ Bravo 2 (11b 0x4 0x6) SR: 18.18

Over 4......26/1

Over 10 ...57/1

Khan to Boucher, OUT, fuller ball on the middle stump. Boucher is stuck on the backfoot as he looks to force it on the off side. He misses it and is struck on the pad. A straight-forward decision for the umpire
RH Boucher lbw b Khan 13 (20b 2x4 0x6) SR: 65.00

Over 11....57/2

Game can be seen live ..here ........... http://cricmelive.com/espn-3-live-streaming.php

Over 24 ....133/2

Emrit to Smith, OUT, fuller ball outside the off stump. Slower ball that Smith didn't pick as he goes through the lofted shot and ends up holing it out to Darren Bravo at long-off
DR Smith c DM Bravo b Emrit 83 (72b 10x4 3x6) SR: 115.27

Emrit to Stoute, OUT, good length ball on the off stump. Stoute is stuck on the backfoot and is looking to defend it. He gets an inside edge onto the stumps
KA Stoute b Emrit 0 (2b 0x4 0x6) SR: 0.00

Over 29...161/4

Over 36...211/4

Over 41....247/4

Cooper to Carter, OUT, fuller ball on the middle and off stump. Carter takes a lot of time and looks to steer it to third-man at the last moment and misses the line altogether. What a brilliant innings it has been by him
JL Carter b Cooper 109 (111b 9x4 5x6) SR: 98.19

42 Overs ..255/5

Rampaul to Dowrich, OUT, looks to pull and gets a top edge that is taken at cover. Dowrich will be disappointed with the shot he played
SO Dowrich c Mohammed b Rampaul 35 (38b 3x4 0x6) SR: 92.10

Emrit to Nurse, OUT, makes room and lofts it to mid-off where Rampaul takes a good catch
AR Nurse c Rampaul b Emrit 4 (5b 0x4 0x6) SR: 80.00

Emrit to Holder, OUT
JO Holder c Rampaul b Emrit 0 (1b 0x4 0x6) SR: 0.00

45 Over ...269/8

T&T Chasing 269

Over 2...8/0

Over 5 ...24/0

Holder to Barath, OUT, short ball outside the off stump. Barath looks to cut it and gets a top edge that is taken well by the third-man fielder
AB Barath c †Boucher b Holder 10 (20b 2x4 0x6) SR: 50.00

Holder to Lewis, OUT, short ball outside the off stump. Lewis fends at it and gets a faint tickle back to the keeper
E Lewis c Dowrich b Holder 13 (15b 2x4 0x6) SR: 86.66

Over 6....25/2

Benn to DM Bravo, OUT
DM Bravo b Benn 40 (41b 6x4 1x6) SR: 97.56

Over 20.....111/3

Benn to DJ Bravo, OUT, good length ball on the middle stump. Dwayne was playing for turn where there wasn't and is struck on the pad. Makes the umpire's job easier
DJ Bravo lbw b Benn 16 (13b 3x4 0x6) SR: 123.07

Over 21 .....113/4

Benn to Simmons, OUT, with the line close to that of the stumps, Simmons picks a wrong ball to cut . As he was on the backfoot already, he found the length hard to cut and is bowled
LMP Simmons b Benn 37 (54b 5x4 0x6) SR: 68.51

over28....138/5

Benn to Rampaul, OUT, on the leg stump. Rampaul looks to slog and is beaten. The leg stump is uprooted
R Rampaul b Benn 3 (6b 0x4 0x6) SR: 50.00

Nurse to Mohammed, OUT, on the off stump, he makes room in an attempt to loft it away. All he gets ais a top edge to cover
JN Mohammed c †Boucher b Nurse 32 (49b 3x4 0x6) SR: 65.30

End of over 36 (5 runs) Trinidad & Tobago 183/7

End of over 39 (11 runs) Trinidad & Tobago 207/8

Smith to Khan, OUT, fuller ball on the middle stump. Khan swings and misses. Another bowled dismissal
I Khan b Smith 7 (15b 0x4 0x6) SR: 46.66

End of over 42 (4 runs) Trinidad & Tobago 221/9

Smith to Emrit, 1 wide, OUT, wide down the leg side. The keeper fumbles with the take and throws a bit wide. Smith collects it and throws down the stumps
RR Emrit run out 6 (7b 0x4 0x6) SR: 85.71

Barbados 269/8 (45/45 ov)
Trinidad & Tobago 241 (43.3/45 ov)

Barbados won by 28 runs

Last edited:

ibiza

Kirk Edwards’ sending home - an abuse of his rights. Draconian abuse of power?

WIPA Official statement on Kirk Edwards' dismissal
Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:37 pm

Kirk Edwards’ sending home - an abuse of his rights. Draconian abuse of power?

Port-of-Spain, TRINIDAD, February 2nd 2014.

The West Indies Players Association (WIPA) has expressed shock and disbelief following today’s expulsion of West Indies batsman Kirk Edwards from the Barbados team which is taking part in the Nagico Super50, the West Indies Cricket Board’s regional one-day competition.

President & CEO of WIPA, Wavell Hinds, who, along WIPA Director Michael Hall, held late night discussions with the player and Barbados’ team manager Hartley Reid about the issue which eventually led to his being sent home was shocked at the eventual outcome.

“After Kirk made us (myself and Michael) aware that he had been threatened with expulsion from the team, and of the issue which had given rise to the threat, I immediately contacted Mr. Reid and asked if he would be good enough to meet with us and Kirk at the team hotel right after the WIPA AGM which was being held nearby and he agreed,” said Hinds. “We were firmly of the view that what Kirk had advised us of as being the issue was a matter which could be easily resolved through sensible and well-intentioned dialogue, and certainly nothing, not even in our wildest dreams, which might warrant the drastic and draconian abuse of power by the team’s manager. Kirk Edwards has been sent home – but Hartley Reid is still there – the sponsors must be overjoyed.”

WIPA understands that the matter arose in relation to the issue of match kit to Mr. Edwards by the Barbados Cricket Association (BCA) ahead of the tournament. We are advised that when a player is provided with these items by the BCA, they are asked to sign a document agreeing that the two match shirts and two match trousers must serve them for two years, and that the player will stand the cost of replacement in the event of any damage to or loss of these items within those two years.

Mr. Edwards advised us that he did not sign the document ahead of the 2012 and 2013 seasons because in previous years the kit barely lasted two months before getting to a stage of being unfit for use. Prior to his departure with the team, he was asked again by the BCA to sign the document in order to receive his kit, and he again did not do so. As a consequence he travelled to Trinidad without any official team kit.

On the evening of Thursday January 30th, Mr. Kenroy Williams (Mr. Edwards’ roommate) went to the manager’s room to collect his training kit and meal allowance. While there, the manager told Mr. Williams to also sign for and receive Mr. Edwards’ training kit and meal allowance – without Mr. Edwards’ consent.

On Saturday, February 1st, the manager advised Mr. Edwards that he had been instructed by the BCA to tell him that if he did not sign the document pertaining to the match kit he would be sent home, and that is when WIPA became aware of the matter.

During the course of our discussions with Mr. Reid, he advised us that the document which the BCA was insisting that Mr. Edwards sign or be sent home had in fact been superseded by an official player handbook (produced by the same BCA) which stated that a player would be entitled to four (4) sets of match kit for a one (1) year period. It is WIPA’s view that the document was thus rendered irrelevant, and we also believe that this is the only logical conclusion to come to about it. Mr. Reid unfortunately did not share this view and insisted that he was following orders from the BCA, and that if the other squad members had signed it then so should Mr. Edwards.

In an effort to reach a compromise solution, and with Mr. Edwards’ consent, WIPA offered to sign the document on his behalf and to accept responsibility for any costs to replace the kit for any reason whatsoever. To our complete surprise Mr. Reid told us in no uncertain terms that Mr. Edwards did not have the right give WIPA the authority to do so, demonstrating clearly a total lack of understanding of one the basic rights of all persons, and also contradicting his own actions of the previous Thursday evening when he gave a third party the right to sign on Mr. Edwards’ behalf – without his consent. It is instructive to note that the Barbados coach Mr. Henderson Springer, who was also present during the discussions was highly supportive of the offer from WIPA as the best way to resolve the issue.

“Throughout the discussions Mr. Reid remained totally inflexible and at no time did he try to find a solution to what we still say is a non-issue,” Hinds said. “WIPA is extremely disappointed with Mr. Reid’s attitude. At the end of the day, an unnecessary blot has been placed on the career of a dedicated and talented West Indian cricketer, all because those entrusted with leadership roles in our game appear not to have the requisite skills to execute the job.”

This decision is as puzzling as Mr. Edwards’ mysterious removal as captain of the Barbados team – following a successful and winning stint in that role in 2013, high praise for his leadership of the West Indies A team from head coach Junior Bennett, and clear recognition of his leadership potential by the WICB who had previously named him vice-captain of the senior team. It may or may not be a coincidence that Mr. Reid’s manager’s report from the 2013 season was delayed almost a year and submitted to the BCA just ahead of its decision on who would be captain in 2014. WIPA understands that Mr. Edwards was nominated for the captaincy by the BCA appointed Selection Committee, and that his nomination was rejected following the receipt of Mr. Reid’s 2013 season report

WIPA will be seeking legal advice on the matter on behalf of Mr. Edwards.

WIPA's FB page

ibiza

Jamaica Vs Ireland Queen’s Park Oval...Start Date: 2014-02-03 1pm EST

Zone A Jamaica Vs Ireland Queen’s Park Oval...Start Date: 2014-02-03 1pm EST

Jamaica
Even without Chris Gayle and Marlon Samuels, Jamaica are still among the top teams in the tournament and one of the favourites to come out of Zone A.

A varied attack including the highly anticipated return of Jerome Taylor, and the always consistent left-arm spinner Nikita Miller along with some other international talent in Andre Russell and Sheldon Cottrell makes this Jamaican side a force to be reckoned with in terms of their bowling.

Jamaica will no doubt be banking on the strength of their bowling department to get them through but they still have to get runs on the board and their batting could be their Achilles’ heel.
Nkrumah Bonner and Andre McCarthy were their best batsmen in the previous tournament but no one else in the side, except for Tamar Lambert, was even in the top 20.
The others will have to step up if Jamaica are to be real title contenders for the Clive Lloyd Trophy.

JAMAICA: David Bernard Jr (captain), Nikita Miller (vice-captain), Andre Russell, Carlton Baugh Jr (wicket-keeper), Tamar Lambert, Andrew Richardson, Horace Miller, John-Ross Campbell, Jermaine Blackwood, Andre McCarthy, Sheldon Cottrell, Jerome Taylor, Nkrumah Bonner, Kenar Lewis; Junior Bennett (coach)

Ireland

Ireland’s participation in the NAGICO Super50 is not just to make up numbers.
With their ongoing quest to join the top tier of international cricket, they will be looking to upstage some of the best teams in the Caribbean under the guidance of former West Indies player Phil Simmons.

The Super50 will provide the Irish with quality opposition ahead of the ICC World T20 to be held in Bangladesh later this year.
They have competed in the Caribbean before in the Twenty20 format with limited success but they could prove much more dangerous in the 50-over game, having upset England at the 2011 World Cup thanks to a Kevin O’Brien century.

IRELAND: William Porterfield (captain), Alex Cusack, George Dockrell, John Mooney, Tim Murtagh, Andrew McBrine, Kevin O’Brien, Niall O’Brien, Andrew Poynter, Max Sorensen, Paul Stirling, Stuart Thompson, Gary Wilson, Craig Young; Phil Simmons (coach)

All games can be seen here on ESPN 3 Live

Ok I got permission to post link.....ESPN 3 Live Streaming - CricMeLive

Odean Brown's absence not a bother, says Bennett
BY SANJAY MYERS Observer staff reporter myerss@jamaicaobserver.com

Monday, February 03, 2014

JAMAICA'S cricket coach Junior Bennett says the team has sufficient potency in the slow bowling department, despite the omission of a specialist wrist-spinner in the 14-man squad competing in the NAGICO Super50 tournament in Trinidad & Tobago.

Odean Brown, arguably the region's most successful wrist-spinner in recent times, was ruled out after undergoing corrective surgery on his knee.

While conceding that a front-line wrist-spinner would be handy, Bennett said the composition of the bowling attack provides a good balance.

"We would want a leg-spinner and over the years we had Odean Brown. But he did an operation and he'll be out for a little while more.

"We have part-timers [spin bowlers] in terms of [Tamar] Lambert, [Nkrumah] Bonner and John Campbell, who really spins the ball. And we still have Nikita Miller," he told the Jamaica Observer.

Brown, who welcomes his 32nd birthday on February 8, has taken 33 wickets in a total of 24 50-over matches at an average of 21.03. In 62 first-class outings, he has trapped 240 victims at 22.28.

Given the hole left by Brown's absence, Bennett noted the availability of "other young leg-spinners", but explained that "the selectors looked throughout the entire trial matches" and decided on the squad "that can do the job".

Akeem Dewar, the former national youth leg-spinner, was among Jamaican players invited for trials, but he joined the Combined Campuses and Colleges, while former West Indies youth standout Donovan Nelson and Damion Jacobs, a consistent wicket-taker for club team Melbourne CC, could both only make the reserve squad.

Former West Indies left-handed batsman Wavell Hinds is the chairman of the senior national selection panel. Courtney Walsh, the former regional fast bowling great, and past national players Delroy Morgan, Wayne Lewis and Cleveland Davidson, complete the committee.

Jamaica face invited team Ireland in a day/night clash today at the Queen's Park Oval in their second outing of the tournament following the defeat of defending champions Windward Islands by 14 runs last Thursday.

Given the relatively green and compact nature of the Queen's Park pitch, some expected the pacers to do well, but it was the spinners who tightened the screws on the Windwards.

In the Zone A tournament opener, the Jamaicans restricted the Windward Islands to 268-8 in 50 overs after half centuries by Andre McCarthy and former skipper Tamar Lambert had helped Bennett's unit to post a challenging 282-5.

Miller, the left-arm orthodox slow bowler, took 3-35 as Windwards' Keddy Lesporis cracked 100 not out. Lambert, bowling steady off-spin, completed a fine all-round performance after taking 2-32. The part-time wrist-spinner Bonner took 1-17.

The quartet of quicker bowlers accounted for the other two wickets to fall. Captain David Bernard ended with 1-38, while left-arm pacer Sheldon Cottrell was expensive in taking 1-66. Andrew Richardson and Andre Russell were also costly in going for 0-31 and 0-44, respectively.

Jamaica close out their Super50 preliminary round campaign against Guyana on February 8 at the same venue.

The top two teams in the Zone advance to the semi-final stage.

The winner of the competition will lift the Clive Lloyd Trophy, named in recognition of the legendary West Indies captain and middle-order batsman.

Last edited:

ibiza

Points Table

Zone A

Zone B