• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Extremely talented guys you have played with?

karan316

State Vice-Captain
There is a guy whom I had faced in a local match some time ago. He was quite tall, had a pretty bad action for an off spinner, but was able to generate a crazy amount of spin. The ball would just pitch very wide outside the off stump and move rapidly with extra bounce. The most weird part about it was that he was bowling it very flat(must be 100kmph for sure). He got me out with the one delivery which he bowled a bit slower, and then the next two batsmen(the best 1s in my team) were hit on the unmentionables by the same bowler. I still can't figure out how it was possible to put so much turn at such a quick pace.

What are some similar experiences you have had? The most extremely talented guys you have played with/against?

Sean Flynn

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I used to play regularly against a guy called Jon Cole-Edwardes who seemed to hit a century every other week according to the scorebook. Turned out he knew Kevin Pietersen back in South Africa as kids. Very talented strokeplayer but i did bowl him once for a low score......45!!!!

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Two guys:
One was a batsman called Achyut Reddy who used to smash bowlers to hell and back virtually every match he played. Seemed like a miniature version of Viv to me.

Then there was a guy called Aalap Patel who bowled twice as fast as any other bowler in our cricket camp. He clean bowled me at least twice each time I was in the nets. Dude was ridiculously quick for his age.
Have no idea what happened to both of them

indiaholic

International Captain
Played with a guy who always batted at a strike rate of about 300. Every other ball was hit for a six. Heard rumours that he was going to be drafted into some Mumbai Indians development squad. No idea whether any such squad exists.

karan316

State Vice-Captain
Played with a guy who always batted at a strike rate of about 300. Every other ball was hit for a six. Heard rumours that he was going to be drafted into some Mumbai Indians development squad. No idea whether any such squad exists.
I have played with a Mumbai Indians net bowler, bowled good leg spinners but didn't have many variations.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
The most raw talent I've played with was a guy who now plays in the NRL.
I was a wicket keeper. He was very, very fast. And huge.
Great guy. Gets injured way too much, but was the type of dude who had abs when he was ten. Just ridiculously talented.

There's also this 18 yo Indian dude I play with in club cricket who is ludicrously talented. Hits huge sixes and has Laxman-esque wrists.

Last edited:

karan316

State Vice-Captain
Two guys:
One was a batsman called Achyut Reddy who used to smash bowlers to hell and back virtually every match he played. Seemed like a miniature version of Viv to me.

Then there was a guy called Aalap Patel who bowled twice as fast as any other bowler in our cricket camp. He clean bowled me at least twice each time I was in the nets. Dude was ridiculously quick for his age.
Have no idea what happened to both of them
As far as bowlers are concerned, there have been many such cases, I had joined Achrekar sir's academy when I was in 8th standard. At that time one of the bowlers(who was atleast a year younger to me) played for all teams of the club as a frontline bowler. He played with the senior team, with us, and even for any other inter club clubs. His name was Aahan or something like that, playing him in the nets actually made me quite fearless while facing pace bowlers. He had a kind of natural fitness required for fast bowling.

The similar experience I had was in Hindu Gymkhana, there was a guy named Marshall who played with us for a couple of months. He was very fit, bowled too quick for his age, and his bowling action was very smooth and repeatable, I've never ever seen such a good pace bowling action. I thought I might see him atleast at the FC level but don't know what happened to him.

Last edited:

Sean Flynn

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
There is a guy whom I had faced in a local match some time ago. He was quite tall, had a pretty bad action for an off spinner, but was able to generate a crazy amount of spin. The ball would just pitch very wide outside the off stump and move rapidly with extra bounce. The most weird part about it was that he was bowling it very flat(must be 100kmph for sure). He got me out with the one delivery which he bowled a bit slower, and then the next two batsmen(the best 1s in my team) were hit on the unmentionables by the same bowler. I still can't figure out how it was possible to put so much turn at such a quick pace.

What are some similar experiences you have had? The most extremely talented guys you have played with/against?
By having a 'bad action for an off-spinner' do you mean he just released without any kind of pivot and drive? Just used his obviously big hands and strong fingers to launch the ball toward the bat?

mde203

Cricket Spectator
I've played against England women's international Heather Knight.

She kept the score ticking over but her brother Steve looked the much more dangerous batsman. They chased down our 80-odd without looking like getting out.

karan316

State Vice-Captain
By having a 'bad action for an off-spinner' do you mean he just released without any kind of pivot and drive? Just used his obviously big hands and strong fingers to launch the ball toward the bat?
He bowled with a chest on action.Was really different, more like a medium pacer trying to ball off cutters.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year

There are bowlers who had done it in test level too. Jasu Patel of Inida was rapid with ample revs on the ball. Jayananda Warnaweera of SL, was even touch faster (getting up to 100-105k range), and spun it bit lesser than Murali. There have been murmurs on their actions, but I don't count whinging by opposition teams on a player who has just destroyed them.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
I have played with a guy from Eastern province of SL. By 17 years of age he was 6' 3", bowled rapid, flat off breaks, which turned just a little and bounced devillishely, and a ridiculously quick arm ball which made a thudding sound in to the keepers gloves. He must have bowled 105-110k off breaks. His action was so violent that the follow through was like that of a fast bowler. Guy was from a very poor exonomic background, and I offered my pads and bat for him to play, and that's how I got to know him. Unfortunately, he joined the army, and was drafted in spy missions as he was a Tamil speaking Muslim. He was assasinated few years later in the thick jungles of the east coast.

uvelocity

International Coach
I have played with a guy from Eastern province of SL. By 17 years of age he was 6' 3", bowled rapid, flat off breaks, which turned just a little and bounced devillishely, and a ridiculously quick arm ball which made a thudding sound in to the keepers gloves. He must have bowled 105-110k off breaks. His action was so violent that the follow through was like that of a fast bowler. Guy was from a very poor exonomic background, and I offered my pads and bat for him to play, and that's how I got to know him. Unfortunately, he joined the army, and was drafted in spy missions as he was a Tamil speaking Muslim. He was assasinated few years later in the thick jungles of the east coast.
when you next played his team did you make machine gun noises?

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Twenty years ago when i was playing U-18 club cricket we had the overseas pro's son playing in our team, young lad called Chris, who was 14 and playing in our u18's..his last name was Cairns...(and yes his dad was Lance Cairns)..even then he looked superb...

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
when you next played his team did you make machine gun noises?
Guy died fighting for my country against terrorists. If I had the chance I would help his poor family out rather than making such noises. But of course if it was you, then I may consider such antics.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Guy died fighting for my country against terrorists. If I had the chance I would help his poor family out rather than making such noises. But of course if it was you, then I may consider such antics.
Think you've missed the joke.

To the surprise of none, of course.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What's the reference?

Fwiw I think it's a bit of a dire post, whether it's intended as a joke or not.