• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Extremely talented guys you have played with?

JBMAC

State Captain
Some of the "very talented guys" I have played either with or against.....Jeff Thompson,Wally Grout, John MacLean,Wes Hall,Peter Burge,Sam Trimble,Dennis Lillee(He was bowling "Offies" then),Phil Carlson,Graham Mackenzie,John Reid,...too many to list.Those should whet your appetites

jonbrooks

International Debutant
Back in the day we played against some teams made up of pacific island boys. Some of these guys were REALLY talented batsmen and bowlers. Yes, some were big burly fellows who hit the ball hard and far but they had some very elegant and technically correct batsmen as well.

It's a pity cricket is more of a fun pastime rather than a serious sport for most pacific islanders. I think they could really do well. Just look at Ross Taylor (part Samoan)

khodder

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Have played with and against a few First Class/List A guys in my time in the Wellington and BOP Club Cricket Comps.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Back in the day we played against some teams made up of pacific island boys. Some of these guys were REALLY talented batsmen and bowlers. Yes, some were big burly fellows who hit the ball hard and far but they had some very elegant and technically correct batsmen as well.

It's a pity cricket is more of a fun pastime rather than a serious sport for most pacific islanders. I think they could really do well. Just look at Ross Taylor (part Samoan)
Heef to like my post I am about to make.

Lower Hutt used to have a team called the Tokoloans - they had 7 beefy burly guys who smacked the crap out of the ball. And two young teenagers who were quality and would ton up. After tonning up the Tokoloans on the side line would honk their car horns which was cute. Their opening bowler was a big bloke called cave man. Their numbers dwindled away and they had to pull out.

I have no clue why the two teenagers weren't sloggers as well - but they really were quality in every way.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
In terms of good players I have played with - Scott Styris as a 13 year old, and Salim Jaffer stand out.

When Jaffer first bowled to me he was only clocking 120 as it was an artificial and he couldn't wear spikes. Every ball was money. Then he lowered his standards down to our level and tried to bowl bouncers and yorkers every ball to get quick wickets and he got hittable. My main memory of him is that a) his english was superb b) he defused an all in broohaha from turning into a brawl after we did a beamer to their star bat on purpose.

karan316

State Vice-Captain
Facing Jade Dernbach would be quite a task for an amateur, he can make a batsmen look like a complete fool with his range of variations.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
I faced Tymal Mills at club level when he'd just started out. Was crazy raw but obviously light years above everyone else talent-wise, despite being like 4 years younger than them.

Last edited:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I faced Tymal Mills at club level when he'd just started out. Was crazy raw but obviously light years above everyone else talent-wise, despite being like 4 years younger than them.
Any idea how quick he was when you faced him Nasser?

My knowledge on Mills is pretty much limited to what people have posted about him on here but I'm really hoping he comes on over the next couple of years. Would be terrific to see an England attack with some real genuine express pace in it.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
I lad I grew up with called Nick, who infuriantingly didn't even really like Cricket that much. He preferred fotoball but gave that up too owed to a love of booze, drugs and birds.

As a cricketer he was like a Curtley Ambrose type bowler. Tall, accurate as a dart, and fast.

As a batsman he was unbelievable. He got frustrated with spinners sometimes, a bit seeing it as a form of cowardly negativity, but could loft fastbolwers back over their heads at will. He played effortless golfer type strokes all over the ground. It wasn't unusual to see him knock a 15-20 ball half century. I'd never seen such natural ability in the amateur ranks.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Twenty years ago when i was playing U-18 club cricket we had the overseas pro's son playing in our team, young lad called Chris, who was 14 and playing in our u18's..his last name was Cairns...(and yes his dad was Lance Cairns)..even then he looked superb...
To my chagrin, I missed out on Cairns playing for Bacup about 5 years ago.

Apparently he was smashing every other ball for 6.

Binkley

U19 Captain
Lower Hutt used to have a team called the Tokoloans - they had 7 beefy burly guys who smacked the crap out of the ball. And two young teenagers who were quality and would ton up. After tonning up the Tokoloans on the side line would honk their car horns which was cute. Their opening bowler was a big bloke called cave man. Their numbers dwindled away and they had to pull out.

I have no clue why the two teenagers weren't sloggers as well - but they really were quality in every way.
I remember playing against those guys, and was going to post about them too! If I remember correctly, they also had an older (well, non-teenage) batsman with a really classical technique who just smoked these beautiful cover drives. Although, conceivably he was one of your youngsters a few years' later on. Actually, I remember that guy far too well. I hope I never see that scorecard (and in particular my bowling figures) ever again.

karan316

State Vice-Captain
Played with Abey Kuruvilla today:) didn't expect this. He bowled pretty well even at this age, got too much bounce and swung it really well, got to face 7 deliveries from him.

What a day m having, also saw Pravin Tambe bowling from very close, was bowling at a "single wicket tournament" at Hindu Gymkhana, Marine lines. Sridharan Sriram was also there.