• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top Old Ball Bowlers

watson

Banned
Dennis Lillee should be in the list I reckon as some of best efforts were on flat pitches with the old ball. He seemed to bowl best when forced to use his whole repertoire.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Forget Pakistan did you? The place where every other bowler is an expert at reverse swing, because it occurs easily there. The whole reason why we are having trouble finding a new ball bowler.

Edit: Was just joking. I know it was only 3 matches. :)

Last edited:

watson

Banned
Forget Pakistan did you? The place where every other bowler is an expert at reverse swing, because it occurs easily there. The whole reason why we are having trouble finding a new ball bowler.

Edit: Was just joking. I know it was only 3 matches. :)
Lillee did have an undiagnosed stress fracture in his back at the time (Dec 1972 - Jan 1973) which wouldn't have helped his bowling. On the tour of the West Indies which followed straight after he broke down completely during the first Test at Kingston, Feb 1973.

It's a shame that Lillee never toured Pakistan/India without injury. However, there is no reason to assume that Lillee wouldn't have knocked over Pakistani/Indian top order barsman on their home turf as he had all the skills and deliveries available to do so.

Last edited:

Shri

Mr. Glass
The ball state didn't matter to McGrath. Was awesome regardless.

And the answers to this thread are going to be predictable so I am going to just focus on the post 2007 years.

Dale Steyn
Zaheer Khan
James Anderson
Saeed Ajmal
Graeme Swann