• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Test Cricket "Brands"

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Conversely Warner isn't good enough to score any of cooks great hundreds in India, which brings us to swings and roundabouts for the "not good enough" argument
Exactly. Which is why it is wrong IMO to use the term "not good enough"......should just accept that they are very different batsmen and each bring their own special element to their teams.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm not off the Cook train at all. I'm like a football fan who sees everything wrong with his club after an unexpected loss. I'll get over it and be calling him the greatest opener ever in couple of weeks.
LOL, as GIMH said at least you're honest...........but for the record that attitude just goes against everything I believe in as an England cricket fan. But each to their own I suppose.

Last edited:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The point was that the statement just means what it says. It doesn't tell you anything about who's the better batsmen.

And Adders just wasn't good enough to figure that out :ph34r:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
He is not gonna score like that now or in future is he?

Regarding OP, when Hussain was captain ENG were a bit similar. But at that time they were terrible and needed to scrap their way for results. After Vaughan made captain there was a big change on how england played their cricket. The way they played was sustained one way or other since then. Now they are back to the turgid displays that are so common during gooch and atherton's era.
No, he isn't, But it serves to prove that saying Cook isn't a natural shot maker is complete tosh. He's just shaped a game that has made him one of England's greatest ever Test batsmen, and a hell of an ODI record as well. The 'not good enough' part was ill-advised.

'Brand' or no 'brand', there were a hell of a lot of batsmen who didn't play at their default setting - guys like Root, Carberry who are talented stroke makers but let bowlers come to them and handed impetus to Australia - certainly some respect needs to be paid to a very good bowling line-up but there was never a lot of intent shown. Didn't help that Bell had a poor series as well. At least Pietersen attempted to do on occasion.

What was unforgiveable was the lengths they bowled, probably right up until the second innings at Melbourne and in Sydney. I was tearing my hair out as a neutral - lord knows what English fans made of it. Awful.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
The point was that the statement just means what it says. It doesn't tell you anything about who's the better batsmen.
LOL, if we are not talking about who's the better batsmen then why are we using terms like "not good enough"??

And Adders just wasn't good enough to figure that out :ph34r:
Hahaha, I'm well aware that I'm arguing semantics here.