Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 25 of 25
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Test Cricket "Brands"

  1. #16
    State Captain
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    1,756
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Cook View Post
    I'm talking about being aggressive and intuitive when batting. Cook's concentration sets him apart from others, every shot looks like it's a drill that he's spent years refining. Warner's strokes look natural. Cook isn't talented enough for it to look natural, it all comes down to aesthetics which Cook wouldn't give a toss about.


    I like to keep aggressive Test batsmen and aggressive ODI batsmen separate. Bailey's ODI vs Test record shows that most comparisons between the formats are meaningless.


    I'm not off the Cook train at all. I'm like a football fan who sees everything wrong with his club after an unexpected loss. I'll get over it and be calling him the greatest opener ever in couple of weeks.
    I'm sorry what...not talented enough to look natural? The guy who scored 214 off 238 balls as a 20-year-old v Australia (Lee Gillespie Tait Kasprowitz MacGill no less) isn't talented enough? Interesting.

  2. #17
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    On a trip to the moon
    Posts
    48,741
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNZ View Post
    I'm sorry what...not talented enough to look natural? The guy who scored 214 off 238 balls as a 20-year-old v Australia (Lee Gillespie Tait Kasprowitz MacGill no less) isn't talented enough? Interesting.
    An oft-forgotten innings, that. Good reference.

  3. #18
    State Regular L Trumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    906
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNZ View Post
    I'm sorry what...not talented enough to look natural? The guy who scored 214 off 238 balls as a 20-year-old v Australia (Lee Gillespie Tait Kasprowitz MacGill no less) isn't talented enough? Interesting.
    He is not gonna score like that now or in future is he?

    Regarding OP, when Hussain was captain ENG were a bit similar. But at that time they were terrible and needed to scrap their way for results. After Vaughan made captain there was a big change on how england played their cricket. The way they played was sustained one way or other since then. Now they are back to the turgid displays that are so common during gooch and atherton's era.

  4. #19
    State Regular L Trumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    906
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Gayle deposits them in the stands like few others. Amla is simply not good enough to play like that.
    I know you are being tongue in cheek, but yes Amla is not good enough to play like that. Luckily depositing balls in the stand is not the only way to measure how good a batsman is. Besides OP's point was quite different. Cook is not gonna score a quick fire hundred to give impetus to the innings, he is better than warner as batsman, that doesn't mean he is good enough to do all things that warner can do.


  5. #20
    International Debutant ohnoitsyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Hamilton, city of well....
    Posts
    2,366
    Conversely Warner isn't good enough to score any of cooks great hundreds in India, which brings us to swings and roundabouts for the "not good enough" argument

  6. #21
    International Debutant Adders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    HMP Oz.
    Posts
    2,427
    Quote Originally Posted by ohnoitsyou View Post
    Conversely Warner isn't good enough to score any of cooks great hundreds in India, which brings us to swings and roundabouts for the "not good enough" argument
    Exactly. Which is why it is wrong IMO to use the term "not good enough"......should just accept that they are very different batsmen and each bring their own special element to their teams.

  7. #22
    International Debutant Adders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    HMP Oz.
    Posts
    2,427
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Cook View Post


    I'm not off the Cook train at all. I'm like a football fan who sees everything wrong with his club after an unexpected loss. I'll get over it and be calling him the greatest opener ever in couple of weeks.
    LOL, as GIMH said at least you're honest...........but for the record that attitude just goes against everything I believe in as an England cricket fan. But each to their own I suppose.
    Last edited by Adders; 10-01-2014 at 08:14 PM.

  8. #23
    International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Not really needed on CW
    Posts
    12,701
    The point was that the statement just means what it says. It doesn't tell you anything about who's the better batsmen.









    And Adders just wasn't good enough to figure that out

  9. #24
    State Captain
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    1,756
    Quote Originally Posted by L Trumper View Post
    He is not gonna score like that now or in future is he?

    Regarding OP, when Hussain was captain ENG were a bit similar. But at that time they were terrible and needed to scrap their way for results. After Vaughan made captain there was a big change on how england played their cricket. The way they played was sustained one way or other since then. Now they are back to the turgid displays that are so common during gooch and atherton's era.
    No, he isn't, But it serves to prove that saying Cook isn't a natural shot maker is complete tosh. He's just shaped a game that has made him one of England's greatest ever Test batsmen, and a hell of an ODI record as well. The 'not good enough' part was ill-advised.

    'Brand' or no 'brand', there were a hell of a lot of batsmen who didn't play at their default setting - guys like Root, Carberry who are talented stroke makers but let bowlers come to them and handed impetus to Australia - certainly some respect needs to be paid to a very good bowling line-up but there was never a lot of intent shown. Didn't help that Bell had a poor series as well. At least Pietersen attempted to do on occasion.

    What was unforgiveable was the lengths they bowled, probably right up until the second innings at Melbourne and in Sydney. I was tearing my hair out as a neutral - lord knows what English fans made of it. Awful.

  10. #25
    International Debutant Adders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    HMP Oz.
    Posts
    2,427
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    The point was that the statement just means what it says. It doesn't tell you anything about who's the better batsmen.
    LOL, if we are not talking about who's the better batsmen then why are we using terms like "not good enough"??


    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    And Adders just wasn't good enough to figure that out
    Hahaha, I'm well aware that I'm arguing semantics here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. "Masterly Batting" featured in the Guardian's "The Spin"
    By chasingthedon in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 22-10-2013, 07:25 PM
  2. Shahid Afridi "retires from Test cricket"
    By Neil Pickup in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 116
    Last Post: 27-04-2006, 08:56 PM
  3. Replies: 225
    Last Post: 10-08-2005, 12:29 AM
  4. Should "home" umpires be re-introduced into test cricket?
    By Slow Love™ in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 30-11-2004, 12:04 PM
  5. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 28-02-2004, 02:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •