• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the best leg spinner after Warne?

salman85

International Debutant
Warne is the greatest leg spinner ever.Even if you wear the most biased of glasses,no one can argue against Warne being the best leg spinner the game has ever seen.

But who is the 2nd best?Qadir?Kumble?Anyone else?

Discuss.

Slifer

International Captain
Bill O'Reilly for me. Tall leggie at decent pace would be hard to handle in ne era

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
O'Reilly is considered better than warne by many. Personally I rate them equally with grimmet not too far behind

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
O'Reilly is generally seen as the 3rd best spinner behind Warne and Muralitharan and by some distance so he would rather easily rate as the 2nd best leggie for me.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
In order: O'Reilly, Grimmett, MacGill. Interesting how Australia is considered a spinner's graveyard yet we've produced some of the best ever.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
O'Reilly, Kumble, Grimmett, MacGill, Chandrasekhar, Benaud, Qadir, Gupte, Mushtaq.

harsh.ag

May sound weird given that he doesn't play but I think Amit Mishra has probably got to get the nod on this one <Best current leggie>.

Last edited:

watson

Banned
O'Reilly wasn't your 'classical' spinner. He was similar to SF Barnes in that he had a unique method of gripping the ball that allowed him to impart spin while bowling at medium pace. In fact O'Reilly, Barnes, DVP Wright and Chandra probably deserve a special category all by themselves due to their special abilities.

As far as 'real' leg-break google bowlers go I think that Mailey, Grimmett, Benaud, Gupte, and Warne are pretty much tied for first place, with Warne perhaps a nose in front because of his longevity. But I certainly don't think that he was any more skillful than his counterparts.

Confused on where to place Abdul Qadir though. Some like Dickie Bird rave about him, but I'm not so sure. I'd probably place him on a par with a bowler like Faulkner or MacGill. Just a rung below.

Last edited:

harsh.ag

In order: O'Reilly, Grimmett, MacGill. Interesting how Australia is considered a spinner's graveyard yet we've produced some of the best ever.
It is not a graveyard for spinners. That's what I have argued so many times, especially when posters come up with this when they claim how amazing Warne is since he has come up in Australia etc. Warne is probably the only leggie to have such an illustrious history to look back at and get inspiration and advice from - O'Reilly, Grimmett and Benaud. Kumble too had Chandrasekhar and Gupte. Spinners in Australia adapt their bowling likewise to benefit from the local factors like bounce.