• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is India the worst place to watch cricket?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Was out walking earlier and started musing to myself which test playing nation is the worst place to watch cricket. After weighing up all of the evidence, I came to the conclusion that the answer probably has to be India. Allow me to explain why.

Firstly, one of the things I enjoy the most about test cricket is watching genuine fast bowlers. India does not have any of these, and never has done. A constant failure to produce a genuine fast bowler seems to have led the brains in Indian cricket to think that they no longer need one, hence why on occasion we have seen Ashwin and Ohja take the new ball. Dull.

Secondly, the pitches are almost exclusively slow and low. The pitches have no carry whatsoever, which is what makes watching cricket from countries like Australia and South Africa so appealing. This also affects the sound of the ball. Not the most important thing, you might say, but I prefer to hear the crisp sound of the ball biting into the pitch rather than a dull thud.

Next is the commentary. Watching a series broadcast from India means we are subjected to the awfulness of Bhogle, Gavaskar and Shastri. Individually all of these commentators would be capable of turning even the most exciting contest into something totally snooze-worthy. Boring cricket supplemented by boring commentary. Tedious.

The absolute worst thing though, has to be the spectators at the grounds. The crowds at Indian cricket grounds just seem to produce an unpunctuated and incessant screaming noise which makes genuine applause absolutely meaningless. The consensual, silent sulk when another team dares to score a run or a boundary, or even a century, is the equally odious other side to this. Not only this, but the spectators at Indian grounds are often fenced in like inmates, what the hell is that all about?

So yeah, in conclusion, I honestly believe India is the worst place in the world to watch test Cricket. And to think, I got through all of this without any mention of Sachin!

Anyway, where does everyone else think the worst place in the world to watch test cricket is?

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Watching a match being played in India, on TV is piss poor. Being in there amongst the screaming lunatics is unbelievable fun, though. When racial taunts aren't being thrown around and it's just old fashioned desi abuses, obviously

Last edited:

Shri

Mr. Glass
Watching a match being played in India, on TV is piss poor. Being in there amongst the screaming lunatics is unbelievable fun, though. When racial taunts aren't being thrown around and it's just old fashioned desi abuses, obviously
But thats the only time everyone shows the world how 'not racist' they are!

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Talking currently, West Indies. Not much attendance, poor home team, and lousy infrastructure.

watson

Banned
Got 'Travellers Diarrhea' about 6 weeks ago. It was a typically horrible experience where I wasn't sure which end of my body to stick down the toilet. I think my arse also exploded at some juncture.

Anyway, point being, never mind the flat pitches, dodgy commentary, and screamy crowds. Any country with good hygiene that doesn't necessitate a course of Ciprofloxicin so that the spectator doesn't have to sit I his own faeces is a good place to watch cricket IMO.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Hygiene doesn't have anything to do with it. We eat the same food and are fine. Its more of you having a weak body/immune system imo. And when you go to a place that has completely different foods than what you are used to, start off light and let your body get adjusted to the surroundings before turning the safety off and eating everything.