Cricket Player Manager
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Is India the worst place to watch cricket?

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Furball View Post
    Australia since they started hosting Tests at AFL grounds.
    whut
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, T Latham, N Broom, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, M Henry, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Pakistan.

You turn up to watch a Test match only to find it's in Abu Dhabi or Sharjah. The ultimate in frustration.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

U19 Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeGee View Post
    I have to disagree. You're so close to the pitch you can see and hear every detail of the play and hear the player conversations. The grounds are never full (almost empty for tests), so there are no lines for beer or food and you can pretty much sit where you like and spread out over several seats.

I used to love watching test matches at eden park.
    Yup agree. That test against England last year was awesome (apart from not winning).

Confused at this thread, because the opening post by Sledger implies he watches cricket which is palpably not true.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Banned
    India is hardly the worst place to watch cricket. I for one had the time of my life watching my boys blank England 5-zip on the big screen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    i think SC in general isn't too flash for watching cricket. SL quite a bit better than its bigger neighbors though IMO. The crowds seem a little more sporty and a little less biased
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Confused at this thread, because the opening post by Sledger implies he watches cricket which is palpably not true.
    As a young boy, I dreamed of being a cricket. But tonight I say, we must move forward, not backward; upward, not forward; and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
    NZTailender likes this.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Nationaux View Post
    Maybe you should listen to Wessels et al.
    Oh come on...they're not that bad! Are they....?

Anyways, listening to Chishty Mujahid et al over at the Pakistan commentary is the worse! Last year during the Zim/Pak tests, I'm sure mothers all over the world were using his commentary to put babies to sleep!

International Coach Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unomaas View Post
    Oh come on...they're not that bad! Are they....?

Anyways, listening to Chishty Mujahid et al over at the Pakistan commentary is the worse! Last year during the Zim/Pak tests, I'm sure mothers all over the world were using his commentary to put babies to sleep!
    Pak commentary team is rubbish I admit. Ramiz for example doesn't know the difference between an in-swinger or one that seams in, or Wasim, who can't speak English. However, the South African commentary team is just annoying. Even if South Africa is on the verge of defeat, Kepler will still act as if they are going to win. Most arrogant **** out there.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Nationaux View Post
    Pak commentary team is rubbish I admit. Ramiz for example doesn't know the difference between an in-swinger or one that seams in, or Wasim, who can't speak English. However, the South African commentary team is just annoying. Even if South Africa is on the verge of defeat, Kepler will still act as if they are going to win. Most arrogant **** out there.
    Totally agree with you! But then again, you got to make allowances for the fact that for half of his life, he was an aussie...a fact which which is hard to forget when SAF and Aus are playing. He is a very conflicted individual .

As far as us Saffa's are concerned, all the bloody aussies are arrogant **** (this is of course said with lots of love and respect for all ausies reading this )

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    SA commentators were very balanced during the India series I thought.

Were probably being threatened by the BCCI though, so we'll have to confirm whether they've actually changed when SA take on Australia.

Every test playing home ground is bad:
    England—full of Englishmen
    India—full of Indians
    South Africa—full of South Africans
    Australia—full of Australians
    Bangladesh—full of Bangladeshians
    Sri Lanka—full of Sri Lankans
    West Indies—full of West Indians
    New Zealand—full of New Zealanders
    Zimbabwe—full of Zimbabwians
    Pakistan—full of Saudi Arabians

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    No NZ test match is full of New Zealanders.

The sell-out Test matches are vs. England and vs. India and at both of those you're likely to see at least as many England/India fans as NZ fans.

Not that that improves anything by your synopsis, mind.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wiff View Post
    Every test playing home ground is bad:
    England—full of Englishmen
    India—full of Indians
    South Africa—full of South Africans
    Australia—full of Australians
    Bangladesh—full of Bangladeshians
    Sri Lanka—full of Sri Lankans
    West Indies—full of West Indians
    New Zealand—full of New Zealanders
    Zimbabwe—full of Zimbabwians
    Pakistan—Nobody
    Fixed

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Was out walking earlier and started musing to myself which test playing nation is the worst place to watch cricket. After weighing up all of the evidence, I came to the conclusion that the answer probably has to be India. Allow me to explain why.

Firstly, one of the things I enjoy the most about test cricket is watching genuine fast bowlers. India does not have any of these, and never has done. A constant failure to produce a genuine fast bowler seems to have led the brains in Indian cricket to think that they no longer need one, hence why on occasion we have seen Ashwin and Ohja take the new ball. Dull.

Secondly, the pitches are almost exclusively slow and low. The pitches have no carry whatsoever, which is what makes watching cricket from countries like Australia and South Africa so appealing. This also affects the sound of the ball. Not the most important thing, you might say, but I prefer to hear the crisp sound of the ball biting into the pitch rather than a dull thud.

Next is the commentary. Watching a series broadcast from India means we are subjected to the awfulness of Bhogle, Gavaskar and Shastri. Individually all of these commentators would be capable of turning even the most exciting contest into something totally snooze-worthy. Boring cricket supplemented by boring commentary. Tedious.

The absolute worst thing though, has to be the spectators at the grounds. The crowds at Indian cricket grounds just seem to produce an unpunctuated and incessant screaming noise which makes genuine applause absolutely meaningless. The consensual, silent sulk when another team dares to score a run or a boundary, or even a century, is the equally odious other side to this. Not only this, but the spectators at Indian grounds are often fenced in like inmates, what the hell is that all about?

So yeah, in conclusion, I honestly believe India is the worst place in the world to watch test Cricket. And to think, I got through all of this without any mention of Sachin!

Anyway, where does everyone else think the worst place in the world to watch test cricket is?

So what do you want Indians to do? Wear funny ties like MCC members and give sophisticated applause to a boundary in thriller game?

Looks like you're not aware of fanatic behavior of Premier League soccer fans. Passionate fans of any sport will behave wildly irrespective of the countries they belong to.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information