• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Test top 10

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
There are a lot of ratings right from the ICC official test ratings to numerous ratings on the net. But we often find disparencies between them and what our opinion is about the best test teams in the world.

Here is what I feel is the current test ratings :-

1 Australia
2 South Africa
3 Pakistan
4 India
5 New Zealand
6 Sri Lanka
7 England
8 Windies
9 Zimbabwe
10 Bangladesh

I put Pakistan at 3 as they beat the Kiwis in their own backyard. The Kiwis have surely gone done a bit from number 3 after the loss. The Indians would be somewhere between 6 and 7 at he beginning of the test series vs Australia but with a monumental draw effort, they can be put to 4. A win in Pakistan (if the tour happens), can put them to 3.

West Indies, though they are improving, havent won any thing significant off late. Souh Africa is reaching ever so close to Australia with their team looking stronger with every test match.

What do you think are the test standings right now?

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Mine would be very similar except i think i would change the middle few around a little..

1 Australia
2 South Africa
3 India
4 Pakistan
5 Sri Lanka
6 New Zealand
7 England
8 Windies
9 Zimbabwe
10 Bangladesh

I feel India deserve to be at 3, and i feel Sri Lanka at this stage would be ahead of New Zealand...
Other than that all looks good...

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Try these...

1 Australia 1454 (-33)
2 South Africa 1109 (+13)
3 New Zealand 1002 (-20)
4 +1 India 914 (+114)
5 -1 England 878 (-43)
6 Pakistan 830 (+41)
7 Sri Lanka 803 (+49)
8 West Indies 573 (+8)
9 Zimbabwe 272 (+4)
10 Bangladesh 15 (n/c)

The official Cricket Web rankings, courtesy of Neil Pickup.

It's not a 'squash ladder' - it has to take into account more than just the most recent performances.

For me, the CW rankings are top of the pile.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
4 +1 India 914 (+114) 5 -1 England 878 (-43) 6 Pakistan 830 (+41) 7 Sri Lanka 803 (+49)
Ok Eddie, I have nothing against cricketweb.net ratings or the Wisden ratings or any other test ratings for that matter. The thing is they dont always tell the true picture. England have had a good record with an appreciable series in India, and deserve to be at 5 according to the recent records. They even drew with South Africa at home.

But they dont tell how the teams change in an instant. Thats why I always feel they dont refelct the absolute true picture.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pratyush said:
But they dont tell how the teams change in an instant. Thats why I always feel they dont refelct the absolute true picture.
Absolutely true - neither do they give a true reflection on how a team would do in the future.

Are you saying that ratings are meaningless?

Are you saying that anyone's guess is as good as anyone elses?

Both actually are perfectly valid arguments - it's a little like an 'unofficial league table' really and should be treated as such - good conversation starter.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Mine..

1.Australia
2.South Africa
3.India
4.Pakistan
5.Sri Lanka
6.New Zealand
7.England
8.West Indies
9.Zimbabwe
76.Bangladesh

Arent NZ a bit high on the Pickup ratings??

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I didnt say the Ratings are meaningless. They give a perspective of past performances but can be abit away from the reality as realities may change. Say Lilee-Marsh-Chappell retired from Australia. Australia would still be high in the ratings but wouldnt be as good as they were wen the trio hadnt retired.

Individual perceptions are always present on players and on various skills of players. So whats the harm in having your judgements as regards to which teams are the best test teams at the moment?

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Langeveldt said:
Arent NZ a bit high on the Pickup ratings??
I don't think so. I think they are a quality team now. Also, the Pickup ratings give a true rating for England. All you give us 7th! :O :P

Salamuddin

International Debutant
NZ's effort in drawing away with India was commendable but losing at home to Pakistan didn't help.

The 3 series coming up: PAK v IND, NZL v RSA and WI v ENG should clarify the rankings a little better.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
1.Australia
2.South Africa
3.India
4.Sri Lanka
5.Pakistan
6.New Zealand
7.England
8.West Indies
9.Zimbabwe
10. Kenya if they played(Bangladesh):D

72.Soloman Islands if they played(Bangladesh):D

Tom Halsey

International Coach
jamee999 said:
7.England
Why does everyone think England are rubbish? Well, I guess Giles and Batty as the leading spinners...:P

I know! Pic James Middlebrook! :D

Or Jason Brown. Has always looked good to me, he is one of the few English spinners who can turn it. :(

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
i was telling neil if i dont get through in nz because of biased selections ill come to england and bowl my offies ! which do turn more than the current spinners

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
lord_of_darkness said:
i was telling neil if i dont get through in nz because of biased selections ill come to england and bowl my offies ! which do turn more than the current spinners
But I think you'll find it's a bit harder to get a game when you're not on the selection panel :lol:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Pratyush said:
But do teams change in an instant? I don't think so. They make steps, but instant improvements are a myth in my book. I feel the CW ratings reflect this well - India's 114 point gain is very big in context and reflects the huge leap they've made.

However, they've not convinced me that it's a permanent thing yet. New Zealand have punched above their weight year by year and once again went to India & Sri Lanka undefeated - however the loss at home to Pakistan reeled them back to the pack.

Pakistan blow so hot and cold they are very hard to rank and I stick with Sri Lanka at 7 because they travel very, very poorly.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
However, they've not convinced me that it's a permanent thing yet. New Zealand have punched above their weight year by year and once again went to India & Sri Lanka undefeated - however the loss at home to Pakistan reeled them back to the pack.
Thats why we have the ratings! Ratings, whichever one they are, follow some specific rule which rules out a lot of human biost and gives some credibilty. But they are not accurate as they follow pre determined rules. This is why every one seems to be putting India higher and England so low which is not there in the ratings. The forms dont change instantly but a good series helps. India has been an iproving side. They used to be squashed abroad. Then they won a test each in the West Indies and England which was a big achievment although they didnt win any of the two series. Now they have had a good series in Australia and are certainly on the rise. I would say so of Pakistan and South Africa too in terms of quality of their side which seems to be improving with each match they play. It will be very crucial how the NZL-SAF series turns out..

NikhilN

International Regular
Mine:

1)Australia
2)South Africa
3)India
4)Pakistan
5)England
6)Sri Lanka
7)New Zealand
8)West Indies
9)Zimbabwe
10)Bangladesh

For Odi:

1)Australia
2)India
3)England
4)Pakistan
5)South Africa
6)Sri Lanka
7)New Zealand
8)West Indies
9)Zimbabwe
10)Bangladesh

Last edited:

NikhilN

International Regular
Opps my bad. i was gona put pakistan on 4th and sri lanka on 6th.new zealend of the low scores against pakistan in nz.england on 3 because they had a really good summer.again i made a mistake. have to switch nz with wi

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
To drop NZ from #3 to #6 or #7 is ridiculous considering the test series against Pakistan came down to one spell by Shoaib...sure NZ struggled, but they weren't playing that badly until Shoaib played demolition man in the 2nd innings at Wellington.

Lets not forget that before that series, NZ went to India & dug deep in the 1st test & then pretty much outclassed India in the 2nd test..and considering India's achievements in Australia recently, NZ can be pretty satisfied with that result in India.

I'd still have NZ at #4 in the ratings, but a loss to South Africa and I would agree that #5 or #6 would be realistic.