• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Test top 10

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The West Indies team has not been as bad as people give them credit for over the past year and a half.

Bazza

International 12th Man
Pratyush said:
Thats why we have the ratings! Ratings, whichever one they are, follow some specific rule which rules out a lot of human biost and gives some credibilty. But they are not accurate as they follow pre determined rules. This is why every one seems to be putting India higher and England so low which is not there in the ratings. The forms dont change instantly but a good series helps. India has been an iproving side. They used to be squashed abroad. Then they won a test each in the West Indies and England which was a big achievment although they didnt win any of the two series. Now they have had a good series in Australia and are certainly on the rise. I would say so of Pakistan and South Africa too in terms of quality of their side which seems to be improving with each match they play. It will be very crucial how the NZL-SAF series turns out..
But one good series doesn't prove that India are suddenly a great team away from home. England won in Pakistan and Sri Lanka a few years ago but followed that up by losing in India, drawing in NZ and losing in Australia, so it would have been easy to say they were 3rd when it would have been an over-reaction. Same applies to India just now.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
luckyeddie said:
Absolutely true - neither do they give a true reflection on how a team would do in the future.

Are you saying that ratings are meaningless?

Are you saying that anyone's guess is as good as anyone elses?
I've been saying as much for the last... since I saw PwC, ICC ODI Championship and the revamped Test Championship.
Both actually are perfectly valid arguments - it's a little like an 'unofficial league table' really and should be treated as such - good conversation starter.
The old Test Championship was see-through and without inconsistency. The new one is about as unfollowable as any league table can be.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
The old Test Championship was see-through and without inconsistency.
It was the most flawed system ever known to man.

How long did SA spend as "Number 1"?

Richard said:
The new one is about as unfollowable as any league table can be.
It's like D/L - if you care to read up about it, it is a fairly simple concept.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
by Bazza -

But one good series doesn't prove that India are suddenly a great team away from home. England won in Pakistan and Sri Lanka a few years ago but followed that up by losing in India, drawing in NZ and losing in Australia, so it would have been easy to say they were 3rd when it would have been an over-reaction. Same applies to India just now.
One series indeed doesnt prove every thing but it can say that you are improving as a side. Look at India. We used to be smashed vs all and sundry. Couldnt even win in Zimbabwe! Then we won a test in England and Windies. Now we nearly won in Australia and were the better team. So its a gradual improvement, not a one off.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
It was the most flawed system ever known to man.

How long did SA spend as "Number 1"?
Who cares? At the end of the day South Africa did what they had to do.
It's not the ends, it's the means that count to transparency. And it was a consistent system with consistent rewards for a consistent task - winning, drawing or losing a series, regardless of perceived strength of opposition and regardless of scoreline.
It's like D/L - if you care to read up about it, it is a fairly simple concept.
Yes, but it relies on fluctuating values. Just like it's ODI counterpart. Therefore in my eyes it's totally meaningless.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
halsey said:
Why does everyone think England are rubbish? Well, I guess Giles and Batty as the leading spinners...:P

I know! Pic James Middlebrook! :D

Or Jason Brown. Has always looked good to me, he is one of the few English spinners who can turn it. :(
lord_of_darkness said:
i was telling neil if i dont get through in nz because of biased selections ill come to england and bowl my offies ! which do turn more than the current spinners
Don't be fooled! No fingerspinner can turn it more than Giles! Don't judge similar bowlers on disparities in pitches.
Certain fingerspinners, Giles included, spin the ball as much as it's physically possible to do with the fingers. He will turn it as much as any fingerspinner if they use the same pitch.
LOD and Jason Brown might be able to turn it as much as Giles or Croft, but believe me, not more!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Yes, but it relies on fluctuating values. Just like it's ODI counterpart. Therefore in my eyes it's totally meaningless.
So are you saying D/L is meaningless as well?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
The West Indies team has not been as bad as people give them credit for over the past year and a half.
True, but they have played some very very inept cricket on occasions..

Originally posted by Mr Mxyzptlk

:lol: classic

Mr Mxyzptlk

Disprove me and I'll retract my statement.

Also, I'm honoured to be mentioned in your signature.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Langeveldt said:
True, but they have played some very very inept cricket on occasions..
I never claimed otherwise, but the improvements are coming in some areas... slowly, but they're coming.

Marmers49

Cricket Spectator
When New Zealand gets Bond back then we will go back to our deserved 3 and contest for no.2 spot - we will bowl sides out more often. WE ARE NOT THE 6th BEST IN THE WORLD!?! What a joke those rankings! We have 9 tests without a loss then loss one and we drop 3 spots!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
So are you saying D/L is meaningless as well?
As far as I was aware D\L relies on values that remain constant. A large number of them, but surely it would be an unfair system if they changed game by game?
And surely anyone who knows what they're talking about agrees it is fair?