• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Craig McDermott's "in-ducker" delivery

jonbrooks

International Debutant
Does anyone recall the "in-ducking" delivery Craig McDermott developed in the early 90s? I recall he bowled Dharmasena with one of these and the total look of bewilderment on Dharmasena's face after he got out.

Unlike your typical inswinging yorker, which swings in from off to leg, from memory McDermott's in-ducker had a straight trajectory but then dipped down sharply and went under the batsman's bat.

Are there any other bowlers who've bowled as similar type of delivery? Does anyone have any footage of McDermott bowling his in-duckers?

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
McDermott had a wicked off-cutter but the only ball which sounds anything like what you're describing that I remember was the split-finger slower-ball he started bowling toward the end of his career:

Is that it?

benchmark00

Yeah his split finger was so good. I remember hearing that he started using it following a chat he had with an MLB pitcher.

Stuart Clark used to be excellent at getting late in and out dip due to the unintentional wobble he used to get on the ball.

jonbrooks

International Debutant
McDermott had a wicked off-cutter but the only ball which sounds anything like what you're describing that I remember was the split-finger slower-ball he started bowling toward the end of his career:

Is that it?
It could be that but I'm not too sure. These deliveries sort of had a loop to them while the one I remember dipped sharply. it might be the same delivery just executed better in other instances.

Top_Cat

Classic AB. Did we ever find out what provoked such a serve? Don't think AB's ever spoken about it publicly. The irony, of course, being that McDermott did end up heading home early anyway.

Last edited:

BeeGee

International Captain
Classic AB. Did we ever find out what provoked such a serve? Don't think AB's ever spoken about it publicly. The irony, of course, being that McDermott did end up heading home early anyway.
Apparently he was unhappy with the end he was bowling from.

Cricket: McDermott a casualty of Border's war of words: Australian captain lays down the law during tourists' victory while the England selectors prepare to chew over the one-day possibilities - Sport - The Independent

That is where the problems began for McDermott, who had trouble with his run-up, his delivery and ultimately his captain. Having opened at the Town End he was soon demanding a return to the River End from where he bowled so well on Sunday. Walking back to his mark in high dudgeon, he was pursued by Border who, from 20 yards away, called him.

Last edited:

Burgey

Yeah his split finger was so good. I remember hearing that he started using it following a chat he had with an MLB pitcher.

Stuart Clark used to be excellent at getting late in and out dip due to the unintentional wobble he used to get on the ball.
It's a little known fact that the wobble Clark got was actually the ball mimicking his head when he talks.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
i'll try and dig up the McDermott delivery asked for, if he did do it, i'll have footage of it.

robelinda

Ok, McDermott bowled Dharmasena twice in his career, i went and watched both, must be this one, i just uploaded it for you, ENJOY!

OverratedSanity

Yeah, dipping slower balls are so tough to pick.
I remember abdur Razzaq bowling one in an English t20 game I think. Made the batsman look like a complete numpty

Top_Cat

The ultimate slower ball, tbh. Was barely quick enough to disturb the timber.

benchmark00

Rob have you uploaded f00tage of McDermott trying to Mankad (can't remember who the non striker was)?

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Does anyone recall the "in-ducking" delivery Craig McDermott developed in the early 90s? I recall he bowled Dharmasena with one of these and the total look of bewilderment on Dharmasena's face after he got out.
He got Hashan Tillekaratne lbw IIRC. Total look of bewilderment on Hashan's face after he was given out was due to the absolute ****tiness of that decision, which was one from a series of many. But even in comparison, that one was absolute garbage. Only one ****tier than this was when Steve Waugh was given notout off Pushpakumara when the keeper took the edge in front of the 1st slip. Umpire was Randall on both occasions IIRC.

robelinda

He got Hashan Tillekaratne lbw IIRC. Total look of bewilderment on Hashan's face after he was given out was due to the absolute ****tiness of that decision, which was one from a series of many. But even in comparison, that one was absolute garbage. Only one ****tier than this was when Steve Waugh was given notout off Pushpakumara when the keeper took the edge in front of the 1st slip. Umpire was Randall on both occasions IIRC.
Hashan's wasnt too far away

Burgey

Fortunately, SL has since overcome the memory of those terrible decisions by rightly dominating on every subsequent visit to Australia. Oh....