• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Clarke Australia's greatest tactical captain ever?

Is Clarke Australia's greatest tactical captain ever

• Yes

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • No

Votes: 17 73.9%
  • Equal with others

Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant
Whenever Aus lose (badly) it is not Clarkes captaincy, it is infact conditions out of his control such as team members temperament and skills...

but when Australia win it is because Clarke is technically a genius?

Gosh this is hilarious.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Clarke was woeful in India. Sure they were up against it and a level or two below the opposition in terms of class but that does not mean you change your batting order like a yo-yo innings in innings out. I know he is a bold skipper but playing Glenn Maxwell as your leading spinner in India is not bold its lunacy and I also don't like how he treats Lyon as the average looking but a steady girlfirend who he eventually went back to after his flings ( Agar, Maxwell, Dorothy, Beer, Pepsi Coke etc) did not work out.
I still rate Clarke as a captain but Xuhaib as usual makes some good points. Clarke will need to live with Maxwell and Doherty over Lyon in India, and homeworkgate.

Whether "homeworkgate" counts as being something relevant to "tactics" is up a question though. Its more "leadership". So it really is probably not relevant to this discussion.

Maxwell and Doherty ahead of Lyon most certainly is relevant though.

Edit: Maxwell opened under Twatto's captaincy

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Whenever Aus lose (badly) it is not Clarkes captaincy, it is infact conditions out of his control such as team members temperament and skills...

but when Australia win it is because Clarke is technically a genius?

Gosh this is hilarious.
What's hilarious is an inability to differentiate between straight winning/losing and great captaincy.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Beating an England team already stuggling for success isn't very impressive imo. Commendable, but I'm with those who rather wait and see how he does particularly in RSA and 'other' away series. As mentioned b4 it was not too long ago that Oz were mauled in India and beaten in Eng (admittedly the series was closer th 3-0)

JBMAC

State Captain
Of those I've seen Tubs shades it, though I'd say Clarke pushes Chappelli down to third, but then I always thought Chappelli was a **** anyway

I don't recall Richie but looking at what he achieved with the players he had at his disposal he must have been pretty special
Benaud is in no doubt the most tactical skipper who has played the game.Simpson was thoughtful, May and Dexter led well and Bradman led by example.Worrell was brilliant on his day BUT he made some shocking decisions at times as if his concentration wandered

simonlee48

School Boy/Girl Captain
Taylor is the best from Aus I have seen when it comes to tactics. That makes it easy to answer this poll.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Worrell was brilliant on his day BUT he made some shocking decisions at times as if his concentration wandered
Yeah, I always felt that the legacy of Worrell came out of his man-management more than tactics. Which, to be fair, was exactly what the WI team of his generation needed in a captain.