• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Clarke Australia's greatest tactical captain ever?

Is Clarke Australia's greatest tactical captain ever

• Yes

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • No

Votes: 17 73.9%
  • Equal with others

Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well not long ago his side was pummelled in India and lost 3-0 in England and now off the back of one series he is possibly the greatest Aussie captain ever. The SA series coming up is a good one to see how good he is as his captaincy will be tested by a very strong side.
I'm not going to pretend I know how to judge how good a captain is, but surely there's more to it then just scorelines?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Well not long ago his side was pummelled in India and lost 3-0 in England and now off the back of one series he is possibly the greatest Aussie captain ever. The SA series coming up is a good one to see how good he is as his captaincy will be tested by a very strong side.
During said series Clarke's captaincy was excellent. Australia lost that series 3-0 because their batsmen are crap, and because Ian Bell had the series of his life.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Of those I've seen Tubs shades it, though I'd say Clarke pushes Chappelli down to third, but then I always thought Chappelli was a **** anyway

I don't recall Richie but looking at what he achieved with the players he had at his disposal he must have been pretty special

Son Of Coco

Clarke's captaincy was mentioned in the UK, and commented on by Flower and Cook ("There's more to captaincy than funky fields" etc etc). People got a bit narky because Cook's captaincy was being compared unfavourably to Clarke's then, and now the chickens have come home to roost.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
During said series Clarke's captaincy was excellent. Australia lost that series 3-0 because their batsmen are crap, and because Ian Bell had the series of his life.
I don't disagree with why Australia lost the series, but I really don't think Clarke's captaincy was much of a string to their feather. When you're a losing captain you generally go searching for something different (unless you're Alistair Cook). Clarke made a few unconventional choices which paid off, but had everything been going swimmingly for him, he wouldn't have needed to.

Clarke now has 2 amazing strike bowlers (Johnson and Harris), the most reliable third seamer the world has seen for a long time (Peter Siddle), a spinner who's taking wickets, and a miserly all rounder who gets movement with the old ball.
Add in a bit of legspin from Smith and he hasn't needed to go searching this series.
Largely conventional fields with the odd short ball trap doesn't seem like pulling a rabbit out of the hat to me. After that all you're doing is deciding how long to leave the slips in (which he hasn't needed to do since there've barely been any partnerships of note).

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I don't disagree with why Australia lost the series, but I really don't think Clarke's captaincy was much of a string to their feather. When you're a losing captain you generally go searching for something different (unless you're Alistair Cook). Clarke made a few unconventional choices which paid off, but had everything been going swimmingly for him, he wouldn't have needed to.

Clarke now has 2 amazing strike bowlers (Johnson and Harris), the most reliable third seamer the world has seen for a long time (Peter Siddle), a spinner who's taking wickets, and a miserly all rounder who gets movement with the old ball.
Add in a bit of legspin from Smith and he hasn't needed to go searching this series.
Largely conventional fields with the odd short ball trap doesn't seem like pulling a rabbit out of the hat to me. After that all you're doing is deciding how long to leave the slips in (which he hasn't needed to do since there've barely been any partnerships of note).
I completely disagree.

Australia in the field were generally excellent, whether it was Clarke pulling Pattinson off after an over and giving the ball to Watson to get the ball coming back into Cook, or just generally excellent field placement to deny singles and keep the pressure on batsmen (I lost count of the number of times England's batsmen played good, well timed shots straight to a fielder), Clarke in the field was excellent, which showed in England's innings scores.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I completely disagree.

Australia in the field were generally excellent, whether it was Clarke pulling Pattinson off after an over and giving the ball to Watson to get the ball coming back into Cook, or just generally excellent field placement to deny singles and keep the pressure on batsmen (I lost count of the number of times England's batsmen played good, well timed shots straight to a fielder), Clarke in the field was excellent, which showed in England's innings scores.
England hadn't scored any runs in the 5 previous tests against NZ though. Their batting at that stage was just no longer that good.

Jassy

Banned
Hitting a well timed shot to the fielder could also indicate an inability to consistently find the gaps though.

Slifer

International Captain
Beating an England team already stuggling for success isn't very impressive imo. Commendable, but I'm with those who rather wait and see how he does particularly in RSA and 'other' away series. As mentioned b4 it was not too long ago that Oz were mauled in India and beaten in Eng (admittedly the series was closer th 3-0)

L Trumper

State Regular
For everyone waiting to see the RSA tour, AUS already toured SA under Clarke before and drew 1-1. He was ****ing brilliant then. They bounced back from 47 a.o. too.

social

Reckon Taylor was overrated myself as there were plenty of times when his "tactics" involved putting Warne on at one end and simply letting him bowl and bowl and bowl.

Fortunately, Warne was arguably the greatest spinner ever so more often than not it eventually paid dividends but there were times when it didn't and the match was crying out for a change

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
For everyone waiting to see the RSA tour, AUS already toured SA under Clarke before and drew 1-1. He was ****ing brilliant then. They bounced back from 47 a.o. too.
Indeed.

Its as if people think Clarke only became captain in 2013 or something :dry:

morgieb

Indeed.

Its as if people think Clarke only became captain in 2013 or something :dry:
From memory Punter and Huss did **** all that series too, so it's not like the team was that much better than it is now.

Top_Cat

Reckon Taylor was overrated myself as there were plenty of times when his "tactics" involved putting Warne on at one end and simply letting him bowl and bowl and bowl.

Fortunately, Warne was arguably the greatest spinner ever so more often than not it eventually paid dividends but there were times when it didn't and the match was crying out for a change
Yeah, agree with this. There was also the Aussie tendency to lose dead rubbers, Tubbs not so good at putting the boot to the throat in those situations.

Slifer

International Captain
So let's see, Tubby who wrestled back world cricket supremacy from WI and maintaining it vs superior oppostion is overrated but Clarke who wins one series vs an English team who shouldve lost to NZ isn't? Wow!!!

Slifer

International Captain
If u could read, you'd see that some1 did say Taylor was overrated, there fore u can go choke yourself !!!