Cricket Player Manager
Page 4 of 481 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 7208
Like Tree567Likes

Thread: ***Official*** Australia in South Africa 2013/14

  1. #46
    State Vice-Captain kykweer.proteas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    south africa
    Posts
    1,163
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Duminy batting below Philander?
    They are fooling no one by batting duminy at six.

  2. #47
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    33,585
    Quote Originally Posted by inbox24 View Post
    Brad Hodge was probably not as good as Michael Hussey but he should have played around the same number of test matches given that they were able to be in and around the fringes of the our great team in that 05/06 period. Would have been a solid number 4 and a good replacement for Damien Martyn, or more likely Andrew Symonds after he left.



    There's a difference between form and class. Yes Hussey is probably out of form at the moment but Ponting, Tendulkar... all batsmen are and have been out of form at some point. But you back them to come good eventually and that's where the selectors have no idea is that they can't differentiate form and class. Guys like Doolan are "in form" (if you can call average 40 'in form') but long term they are bad bets because their state average shows that they will only revert to averaging 35 batting in the middle order.
    So you're willing to throw him against the best pace attack in the world, against the moving, bouncing ball which anyone who has actually watched him in FC cricket can tell you he is not good at playing when anyone decent turns up, and gambling on him suddenly finding form?

    Christ, I'd rather Andrew Hilditch.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +


    forever 63*

  3. #48
    International Regular dermo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,150
    Quote Originally Posted by inbox24 View Post
    David Hussey is better than any international batsman England have produced in the last 10 years. He averages (correction averages 50) at state level and 40s at one day domestic level. He has been a victim of a lack of foresight and lottery selections from the selectors who have not given him a chance at test level and not an extended run in ODIs.

    At the same time even North was given a decent chance to prove himself even though he averages only 40 in at first class level and exhibited absolutely no confidence or technique when he played. Yes, you can't just pick players based on numbers but if these numbers mean absolutely zero then why even keep scores, just let them go out there and swing the bat and if they look good enter them into the random number generator and do a lottery pick. We had one of the best first class systems in the world arguably and that served us so well through the 90s and early 00s and could produced 2 or 3 World XIs and squandered all of that talent, work, time and investment with the wrong guy picking players. A bunch of "part time selectors" getting paid 40 grand a year to pick players worth ten times more than that. Ridiculous

    If the Australian selectors were actually competent they could have remained number 1 in the world for the past 6-7 years with a batting lineup containing:

    Ponting, Clarke, Hodge, Katich, Hussey, Hussey, Watson (batting lower down), Jaques (who was cut short by injury), Hughes (who still has a lot of potential for the future although needs to work on his play against spin), Rogers

    Instead they cocked it up trying to find the next superstar picking players based "feeling". These are players with proven records who all would have played 100 tests if they played for other countries. The saddest part of all of this is that this is not even 20/20 hindsight, this was all known about 4-5 years ago when they could have changed things and righted wrongs, but they kept banging their head against a brick wall with dumb selections and picking players based solely on age.
    agree completely, look no further than australia's recent poor results in test cricket and david hussey's outstanding start to the first class season for proof
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Dean Jones was my favourite player.

  4. #49
    International Debutant inbox24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2,108
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    So you're willing to throw him against the best pace attack in the world, against the moving, bouncing ball which anyone who has actually watched him in FC cricket can tell you he is not good at playing when anyone decent turns up, and gambling on him suddenly finding form?

    Christ, I'd rather Andrew Hilditch.
    Yes, because he will do better than some bloke who averages 15 less runs than him at state level and looked all at sea against a pretty mediocre English bowling attack in mostly flattish and non swinging conditions. If you're saying that Hussey should not play tests then fine, give me the name of another player (besides Phil Hughes) who should take the place of Bailey in South Africa? All your options will average less than Hussey, and none will have done better than him at international cricket despite his short international career so far. They're only picking Doolan because of some isolated big scores and the fact that he spoke played with Ponting a couple of times in shield cricket. If that's the case then it's quite sad because guys like Ponting actually had to score runs to make the team.
    Inappropriate signature.
    --Moderators


  5. #50
    International Debutant inbox24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2,108
    Quote Originally Posted by dermo View Post
    agree completely, look no further than australia's recent poor results in test cricket and david hussey's outstanding start to the first class season for proof
    Um, you have to look beyond just the results, but look at WHY Australia has won this series. It certainly hasn't been due to the batting prowess of Bailey. Mostly it has been the other batsmen rescuing us and the bowlers blowing them away. When the time comes for Haddin to have a few low scores, you really need your number 6 to stand up and there's no way Bailey will get you a century on a seaming wicket against Steyn, Morkel, Philander and Abbott.

  6. #51
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    33,585
    Quote Originally Posted by inbox24 View Post
    Yes, because he will do better than some bloke who averages 15 less runs than him at state level and looked all at sea against a pretty mediocre English bowling attack in mostly flattish and non swinging conditions. If you're saying that Hussey should not play tests then fine, give me the name of another player (besides Phil Hughes) who should take the place of Bailey in South Africa? All your options will average less than Hussey, and none will have done better than him at international cricket despite his short international career so far. They're only picking Doolan because of some isolated big scores and the fact that he spoke played with Ponting a couple of times in shield cricket. If that's the case then it's quite sad because guys like Ponting actually had to score runs to make the team.
    Cricket is not played on a computer or a spreadsheet. I have confidence that the names I've picked will score more runs that David Hussey in South Africa. A lot of confidence.

    That doesn't mean they'll do particularly well. But it does mean that I think Dussey would be rank awful against Steyn and Philander.

  7. #52
    International Regular dermo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,150
    Quote Originally Posted by inbox24 View Post
    Um, you have to look beyond just the results, but look at WHY Australia has won this series. It certainly hasn't been due to the batting prowess of Bailey. Mostly it has been the other batsmen rescuing us and the bowlers blowing them away. When the time comes for Haddin to have a few low scores, you really need your number 6 to stand up and there's no way Bailey will get you a century on a seaming wicket against Steyn, Morkel, Philander and Abbott.
    im not saying bailey will but david hussey sure won't

    if he is the batting giant that you say he is would you please explain why he was dropped from the victorian team?

  8. #53
    International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Not really needed on CW
    Posts
    13,082
    Quote Originally Posted by kykweer.proteas View Post
    They are fooling no one by batting duminy at six.
    In that lineup he'd be 7..

  9. #54
    International Debutant inbox24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2,108
    Quote Originally Posted by dermo View Post
    im not saying bailey will but david hussey sure won't

    if he is the batting giant that you say he is would you please explain why he was dropped from the victorian team?
    Obviously I can't be for sure, but they are try to blood Maxwell for state cricket. If you look at the lineup they feel they've already got enough batsmen (Rogers, Maxwell, White, Wade, Handscomb, Quiney, Finch, Christian) to move long term with and feel that Hussey is just taking up a spot and won't be playing for Australia anytime soon whereas in their minds these other guys still have a chance to play for their country. Effectively they've given up on him because they know that the national selectors have given up on him.
    Last edited by inbox24; 05-01-2014 at 05:58 AM.

  10. #55
    International Captain Ruckus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Yes
    Posts
    7,117
    Irrespective of his weaknesses, with a record like that, Dussey has to have some pretty valuable general qualities as a batsmen - e.g. he can score runs consistently, has an ability to convert runs into big scores etc. The problem is if he has some fairly glaring weaknesses in his game not exploited at domestic level, he would require a lengthy period of readjustment in his game similar to what most young players who are introduced to test cricket go through. And at 36+ years old, there's not enough time for it to pay off in the longer term. I mostly agree in sentiment to what inbox said about more players needing to be picked based off class rather than merely form, but someone like Dussey should have probably been trialled in test cricket much earlier. Now isn't the time.

  11. #56
    U19 12th Man Rasimione's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Pretoria
    Posts
    236
    Peterson
    Smith
    Amla
    Du Plessis
    De Villiers
    Duminy
    Mclaren
    Philander
    Peterson
    Steyn
    Morkel.

    That team for mine will be the likely one unless Abbott replaces Robbie P.

  12. #57
    International Debutant theegyptian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,101
    Play one of Duminy and Peterson and then bring in the best batsman and best bowler for the two spaces vacated. Playing Duminy and Peterson is stupid imo now you no longer have Kallis.

    Peterson, Smith, Amla, Faf, AB, X. Duminy, Philander, x, Steyn, Morkel.

  13. #58
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    All Glory To The Nev
    Posts
    33,970
    it would be crazy to remove the gloves from AB.
    BeeGee likes this.
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

    With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

  14. #59
    School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    84
    Lets not beat around the bush...since coming back from injury, JP's batting has been crap. He's pushing and prodding at balls that should be left and every time we've sent him in to bat at 3/4 in ODI's....he has failed miserably! But you can't deny that JP brings some history to the Aus/SA clash given his debut in Aus in 2008/2009. The scars of that 166 innings will not have left the aus cricketing public and having him come in at 7 would be daunting.

    Elgar's batting stocks have recently increased especially with his double hundred against Aus-A (even though it was a road). He has also score runs this summer in the Sunfoil series (scored a hundred). His part time leg breaks are more than handy especially with JK having retired.

    In terms of balancing the team, JP and Elgar as a package bring alot to the table. They will also be the 2 batsmen under the most pressure to perform. There are 2 guys namely Quentin de Cock and Stiaan van Zyl knocking very loudly for a batting spot in the Saffa team.

    Alot of people saying that we should play Robbie P but Centurion doesn't spin...in fact, its a spinners graveyard. The last time I saw someone spin it at Centurion was Shane Warne and that man can spin a ball on anything. I personally think the series is gonna be won at Centurion. St Georges will most probably fizzle out to a draw (unless someone bowls really well) and you don't want to chase the series at Newlands because SA has a bad record against Aus at Newlands.

    That's why I've been saying lets all have a good ole fast bowling fire fight at Centurion! I would back our bowlers against the Aus batters and I would back our batters to score more runs (marginally) than the Aussie batters. In fact, I would say that all of us (Saffa and Aussie) want to see timber flying with Steyn and his crazy eyes bulling the Aus batters and MJ and his mo bowling rockets and skittling out Saffa batters like 10 pin bowling!
    NickDB likes this.

  15. #60
    State Vice-Captain
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,209
    Peterson
    Smith
    Du Plessis
    Amla
    De Villiers
    Elgar
    Duminy
    Philander
    Abbott
    Steyn
    Morkel

Page 4 of 481 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. ***Official*** India in South Africa 2013/14
    By Cabinet96 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 5551
    Last Post: 08-01-2014, 12:51 PM
  2. ***Official*** Australia in South Africa
    By pup11 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 5685
    Last Post: 20-04-2009, 05:42 AM
  3. ***Official South Africa in Australia***
    By Pratters in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-12-2008, 03:12 PM
  4. *Official* South Africa in Australia
    By w3lshrugby in forum World Cricket
    Replies: 99
    Last Post: 19-05-2007, 11:07 PM
  5. ***Official Australia in South Africa***
    By howardj in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 3263
    Last Post: 08-04-2006, 12:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •