• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa 2013/14

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
de Villiers is definitely someone who could be considered a contender for one of the greatest batsman of all time if future generations take more account of all formats for judging past greats than we do. Been averaging around fifty in both formats for a while now.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can confirm Stellenbosch, Camps Bay and the V and A Waterfront are the awesome. It's a top town

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
de Villiers is definitely someone who could be considered a contender for one of the greatest batsman of all time if future generations take more account of all formats for judging past greats than we do. Been averaging around fifty in both formats for a while now.
I think it's entirely fair to take three formats into account during an era where players have taken three formats very seriously, much as we take non-Test First Class cricket into account for players such as Grace given its importance at the time. However, I still think it'd be a massive, massive stretch to say de Villiers's mastery of all three formats comes anywhere close to sort of the overall era dominance as what Bradman managed.

You're right that it's possible people will try to argue that, however. I do not look forward to that argument when I'm posting here at 50 odd.

Stapel

International Regular
The over rate is slow, but the run rate isn't! Even if the Saffers slow down to 4 runs an over from here, provided they complete todays overs, they will trail with les than 100 runs. Could be a very intersting game, if these two hang on a while.

Commentators clearly watching a different sport, swear one of them just said "He was batting so well, Alviro Peterson"
Yesterday, when Amla took a catch (think it was Haddin), he fumbled the ball, before taking it between his shirt and his armpit. The commentator of service spoke about a well-judged and steady catch, or words of that sort. Things like this happen all the time, and not just with cricket. It makes you wonder what you actually miss, when you 'watch' audio only.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I think it's entirely fair to take three formats into account during an era where players have taken three formats very seriously, much as we take non-Test First Class cricket into account for players such as Grace given its importance at the time. However, I still think it'd be a massive, massive stretch to say de Villiers's mastery of all three formats comes anywhere close to sort of the overall era dominance as what Bradman managed.

You're right that it's possible people will try to argue that, however. I do not look forward to that argument when I'm posting here at 50 odd.
Contender is probably the wrong word, as they'll probably always be a really, really clear number one. I more mean that he could be viewed in the top tier of elite batsman, along with the likes of Tendulkar, Viv, Hobbs etc.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This might be the day Harris gets the reward for how well he's bowled since July last year. Deserves a bag full.