• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa 2013/14

adub

International Captain
Invers with some classic trolling...

“This was a difficult decision, but on this occasion we felt Alex and Shaun have games that are well suited to facing South Africa in South Africa,” Inverarity said.

“We consider that both are strong players of pace bowling which is important given the strength of South Africa’s attack.
Marsh being so great against pace that in the 5 innings the **** hasn't been hiding down at 3rd drop for WA (yes only 5 innings in the top 4) the useless prick has managed the grand total of 64 runs at 12.8.

Invers can always be counted on to deliver the comedy gold.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I might swoop and buy low, after SMarsh fails
You'd want to get in now because Doolander won't give Marsh a look in and peel off multiple tons!

benchmark00's fact of the day:

Alex Doolan has batted once against South Africa and made 161 not out.

adub

International Captain
Brydon Coverdale ‏@brydoncoverdale 31 mins
Marsh since Test axing in Jan 2012: 675 first-class runs at 25. Hughes since Test axing in Jul 2013: 671 first-class runs at 61 #SAvAus

TimAngas

State Vice-Captain
I can't honestly belive the Marsh selection. What's his role in the side, to slot in where? Number 3? I don't care if he looks almost perfect or not I just want the batsmen killing it in the shield to be in the side. If you can't score big and convert in the Shield then as far as I'm concerned you can't do it in Test matches.

To people saying Philip Hughes has looked bad this summer... When has he looked good when the opposition haven't bowled 3 ft. outside off stump? That's the thing about Hughes, he can look absolute **** at the crease, super flakey, being worked over eveywhere, and at the same time be flaying an attack to bits. Don't judge a batsman on how he looks pick him on whether or not they can score runs big. A mighty rate of churning out tonnes at 0.6 per year should rule Marsh out of selection bar some mighty form, of which he hasn't shown.

EDIT: It's frankly offensive to the Shield as a competition to suggest that Philip Hughes' runs this year don't cut it and that two ODI fifties should. If ODI form is so important then Philip Hughes was left to rot in the Big Bash while protected species Marsh was the only one given an opportunity.

Last edited:

Briony

International Debutant
I recall the commentators saying that that pitch was torpid. Steyn allegedly bowled within himself during the first innings but unleashed a withering burst in the brief second innings and Davis was found wanting again but Hughes stood up to the onslaught well.

TimAngas

State Vice-Captain
If the shield is so important. Why not Cameron White? Why not Peter Forrest? Why not Cameron Bancroft? Why not Peter Hanscomb?

Johan Botha even has more runs that Marsh in the shield this season.

howardj

International Coach
I can understand selectors picking guys on a hunch without great FC stats e.g. Michael Clarke back in 2004. They like their technique or they like something they've seen. To an extent, Doolan fits this mould.

It's fine to pick Marsh on a similar hunch, but for the fact he's been exposed at this level before and, since then, has gone back to FC and produced the same middling average that he did prior to being picked

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I can understand selectors picking guys on a hunch without great FC stats e.g. Michael Clarke back in 2004. They like their technique or they like something they've seen. To an extent, Doolan fits this mould.

It's fine to pick Marsh on a similar hunch, but for the fact he's been exposed at this level before and, since then, has gone back to FC and produced the same middling average that he did prior to being picked
Yep, Marsh' selection is almost impossible to justify

If they were going to take a punt on a left hander on no other basis than talent, might as well have picked Maddinson