• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa 2013/14

adub

International Captain
I think the rationale for leaving Hughes out is that he's best as an opener.

The new ball suits his game, and it's where he's had his most success at Test cricket and where he bats for SA

Him baking in the Shield oven for the next two years until Rogers goes, may be no bad thing

Plus, his next go is likely to be his last, so the selectors want to be sure that he's Test-ready again
I would love to share your faith that the selectors think this rationally.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd go with:

Rogers
Warner
Watson
Doolan
Clarke
Smith
Haddin
Johnson
Harris
Siddle
Lyon

Hughes
North
Faulkner
Pattinson
Bird

Say what you want about North and Hughes from a technical standpoint, but they're making runs. Marsh or Ferguson may have prettier techniques and look like they could handle Tests, but they haven't put the big runs on the board. IMO if you make valuable hundreds in the Shield, you should get selected. Not if you're getting to 35 every innings and finding yet another soft way to get out.
Ferguson has a pretty technique and looks like he can handle tests? News to me

benchmark00

There's one up for grabs here. Rattinson and Bird and Doolan are going. Just a matter who that final batting spot is.

howardj

International Coach
Only Faulkner to not leave on 29 January for Sth Africa

That means huge opportuinities for fringe Aus players to push their T20 WC credentials against England in the upcoming series here in Australia

Briony

International Debutant
Think Marsh is a protected species. Doolan probably deserves his spot. Bird seemed confident he would go.

adub

International Captain
Bye bye Bailers, we barely knew you...

Bird and Patto is fine although a shame neither will get any red ball bowling in before the series. Patto especially looks a little rusty. Hopefully Billy can work his magic on him if he's required.

Doolan as expected.

Smarsh pfft.

howardj

International Coach
man **** the test squad, horseface and muirhead are in the t20i squad.
CA have ballsed it up on their website

It's the squad for the games against England

[/B]George Bailey (c), Aaron Finch (vc), Dan Christian, Nathan Coulter-Nile, Ben Cutting, James Faulkner, Josh Hazelwood, Moises Henriques, Glenn Maxwell, James Murihead, Chris Lynn, Mitchell Starc, Matthew Wade, Cameron White.

benchmark00

CA have ballsed it up on their website

It's the squad for the games against England

[/B]George Bailey (c), Aaron Finch (vc), Dan Christian, Nathan Coulter-Nile, Ben Cutting, James Faulkner, Josh Hazelwood, Moises Henriques, Glenn Maxwell, James Murihead, Chris Lynn, Mitchell Starc, Matthew Wade, Cameron White.
That's a pretty ordinary team. I guess their hands were tied wth the scheduling but fmd.