• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa 2013/14

Shri

Mr. Glass
To guys who have watched 70s/80s cricket. Were West Indian quicks actually more brutal than the MJ we are seeing now?

Jassy

Banned
It's pissing down now, hopefully rain won't have much of a say in this test. Great stuff from us, need to get AB out soon. It's been a wonderful innings from him with his side in deep trouble. A lead of 150 plus and we *should* be able to shut them out.

Slifer

International Captain
To guys who have watched 70s/80s cricket. Were West Indian quicks actually more brutal than the MJ we are seeing now?
Bro u dont even have to go back to the 80s. Curtly Ambrose was as brutal (when the mood took him) as any among WI fast bowlers. But to answer ur question, they were and even more so, with no bouncer restrictions in those days and especially after what they received from Lillee and co in 75-76.

U19 12th Man
Been crazy, and doing it at his age too is remarkable. How long can he keep it up is the question?
Brett Lee still hitting 150kph at 37 years of age with a history of damage to the body that Mitch doesn't have. Admittedly only T20, but impressive.

I reckon there's a huge fallacy in sport about where a player is/can be at when moving further into their 30s. All the science suggests you should remain around your physical peak in these areas WELL into your 30s. I think many athletes are mentally and physically conditioned to slow down as they move into later years with adjusted programs and extended recovery, as opposed to actual decline occurring. You get a lot of guys retiring when they're playing to an excellent standard, but they're the oldest person in their side, or perhaps in their league/sport. Commentators start talking about their age. A form slump comes and it's terminal because the guy is 35, despite having worse slumps at other stages in his career. Environmental bias imo. Ageism.

I hope Mitch plays like this for another 5 years. Realistically, given the lay of the land in sport right now, I think another couple of seasons will be the reality.

Last edited:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I hope Mitch plays like this for another 5 years. Realistically, given the lay of the land in sport right now, I think another couple of seasons will be the reality.
I think he is as fit an athlete as we've ever seen in cricket, if he wants another 5 years there is no reason his body won't be up to it.

What's going to be interesting is if Mitch does go for say another 2 or 3 years and maintains this ridiculous form, how his career will be rated at the end of it? Could potentially end up with close to 400 test wickets and an average well under 25, whilst that might not get him into ATG status this (hypothetical) 3 or 4 years would be as good as anything we've ever seen.