• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who would you recruit for the IPL in the January auction?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Azharuddin, Jadeja, Saleem Malik in the staff. Sreesanth, Salman Butt and Asif in the team. :dry:

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Why did Punjab retain Vohra?
Maybe they had him on a really cheap deal from last season, and didn't want to risk paying him more through the auction process? Young Indian opener who has showed some IPL promise, could end up with a few teams after him (for squad depth if nothing else), and he'd be on the minimum U/19 contract as it stands. If you're not concerned about retaining anyone else, it isn't the worst of moves IMO.
Also been in good form in this year's Ranji, with a meaty strike rate.
Azharuddin, Jadeja, Saleem Malik in the staff. Sreesanth, Salman Butt and Asif in the team. :dry:
With A Raja or Shriprakash Jaiswal or Allen Stanford or <insert mega scam kingpin> as franchise owner, maybe.

Last edited:

YorksLanka

International Debutant
i would look for Dilshan , Gayle, Kohli, Morgan , Luke Wright , Dhoni , Dhawan , Bravo , Finch , Steyn , Faulkner , Steve smith , Murali...

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Mumbai have retained Rohit and Malinga, but the decision to stay with Pollard, Rayudu and Harbhajan is baffling. Bhajji has missed quite a few games this Ranji and is barely fit. Rayudu's strike rate is way too poor to be useful anywhere above number seven. Pollard's been average, great strike rate, poor conversion, and his bowling is simply unsafe on anything that's not sufficiently bouncy or seamer-friendly. They had to let go of Mitch because CA won't let him play much. They can grab Dwayne Smith, who's been more useful as a batsman alone, than Pollard.

With as many as three all-rounders likely, they may have to let go of Rishi Dhawan. They can keep Karthik; he's useful as a quick-scoring batsman and a decent wicketkeeper (a rare breed these days, at least in India, with plenty of opening batsmen passing off as them now), as well as Pragyan Ojha (much more productive than Bhajji, with the ball alone), and also get more out of Dhawal Kulkarni. They may want to bid for Corey Anderson. I hope not, as it isn't practical for them, and not ideal for the domestic base either. They can push for Pankaj Singh, for he'll make a good partner for Malinga. They'll have to fill their overseas slots with bargain players, since they won't have much to spend.

Sarun

U19 Debutant
SL and Eng players are limited by international commitments during the period so unless any does anything amazing soon or have high reputation (KP etc), much of them won't get any bidders.

Sarun

U19 Debutant
I hope players and franchises are bit smart (and/or realistic) about the former's value. Would prefer there are better analysis out there.

jonbrooks

International Debutant
I think Anderson's stock just went up even more after his MOM performance against India. Given some of the crazy auction prizes in the past I can't see how Anderson won't hit the $1 million mark.

brockley

International Captain
Ooh definitely million dollar,some dollars for Jessie Ryder.
At 36 sanga and Jaya would be lucky to get contracts,at least Gilchrist was retired from international cricket.
Surprised Punjab did not retain Shaun Marsh averages over 40 in IPL,maybe a club change for him.

jonbrooks

International Debutant
Yeah, Ryder should feature. Especially if he gets a few wickets bowling some spin against Indians this summer.

Does anyone know how much Richard Levi went for at the IPL auctions?

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Don't think Anderson will break a million.

The IPL auctions are weird. You just can't predict them. Remember last time when Maxwell went for over a million and Ryder only sold for 100K? Yeah.

Also factor in that there are at least 3 very good international all rounders probably up for auction now. Guys like Faulkner, Stokes, Watson etc are going to command big prices, along with slightly lower level guys like Matthews, Bravo etc.

I don't think any team has the purse to get into a bidding war over him.