• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who would you recruit for the IPL in the January auction?

ganeshran

International Debutant
Indian top players are more valuable because they compete for 7 spots in the team while overseas players have only 4 spots.

KKR have this problem where Shakib Al Hassan has to sit out while Rajat Bhatia gets every game

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Indian top players are more valuable because they compete for 7 spots in the team while overseas players have only 4 spots.

KKR have this problem where Shakib Al Hassan has to sit out while Rajat Bhatia gets every game
Also Jacques Kallis. He's been promoted as their frontline all-rounder even when his T20 bowling is poor, his batting lacks the strike rate and he's not even a top T20/T20I player. Surely Shakib could play in place of him.

Best possible KKR XI:
  • Uthappa
  • Gambhir
  • Lynn
  • Shakib (SLA)
  • Manish Pandey
  • Debabrata (WK?)
  • SA Yadav
  • Vinay Kumar (RM)
  • Narine (OB)
  • Morne (RF)
  • Umesh Yadav (RFM)
Still looks like a fruit salad team.

That four overseas players are not enough is not an excuse to field a weak team or play poor cricket. Teams from other leagues manage with only two overseas players, or even one. Yet, we've seen several teams compete neck and neck with IPL franchises, and a few have even got the better of them.

Last edited:

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
In other news, ex-employees of now-defunct Kingfisher Airlines, owned by RCB Boss Vijay Mallya, have written an open letter to Yuvraj Singh to not play for Mallya in the IPL. I support that. It's not funny when you're not paid for several months, but the boss can pay multiple times the amount to a cricketer who's in and out of active cricket.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
That's a good point but I don't know if guilt tripping a cricket player, however overvalued he might be, for Mallya's brazenness is the done thing. It just doesn't sit right. Appeal to the entire RCB team, IMO. They're obviously not going to write out a cheque to the airline employees, but at least it publicises the issue and shames Mallya. Shouldn't put it all on the one person who's had a stroke of luck.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Hypothetical question:

Kohli is currently 25 years and 102 days old. There's a young Sachin Tendulkar of the exact same age around, i.e, he's at the stage of his career where he's played his famous twin desert storm innings against Australia 3 months ago.

Who's the hotter property at the IPL?

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Hypothetical question:

Kohli is currently 25 years and 102 days old. There's a young Sachin Tendulkar of the exact same age around, i.e, he's at the stage of his career where he's played his famous twin desert storm innings against Australia 3 months ago.

Who's the hotter property at the IPL?
Tendulkar.

picked at 16, had more legend surrounding him.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
That's a good point but I don't know if guilt tripping a cricket player, however overvalued he might be, for Mallya's brazenness is the done thing. It just doesn't sit right. Appeal to the entire RCB team, IMO. They're obviously not going to write out a cheque to the airline employees, but at least it publicises the issue and shames Mallya. Shouldn't put it all on the one person who's had a stroke of luck.
Fair point, but I feel Yuvraj is much closer to the Indian cricket fans than other players who have been bought, and unlike Gayle and Kohli, who have been retained, he's been bought only in this auction. Indeed, they should appeal to the entire RCB team, and maybe they have, but the appeal to Yuvraj was the most publicised one. I do feel at least the West Indians, who have had problems of non-payment with their board, should support them. None of these players will go bankrupt if they turn down this braggart's money.

The investment that goes in education to prepare you for a career here is not small money. To spend so much, and be paid nothing for months, is not funny at all. That braggart has no business sense, and only enjoys posing before cameras, with glasses of alcohol and models/celebrities. Instead of running his airline properly, all he did is try to ground every competing airline in India, and when his airline went sick, he looted Government banks, who had no business funding loss-making airlines with public money. Then he begged for a bailout. I do hope the players understand this.

Yuvraj has been paid a hefty amount. That's more than one fifth the total squad cost. If he withdrew from the team or the event, the impact will be profound. While most IPL players, even at the bottom end, get paid a lot of crazy big money, payment is still very unequal.and a few others may need the money, but I don't believe any cricketer who has nothing to do with Kingfisher should get money that KFA employees deserve to be paid.