Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Who would you recruit for the IPL in the January auction?

International Vice-Captain
    Ok Nufan,still hard to sign a player over age of 35,unless IPL form or domestic form screams pick me.
    IPL 7: Mumbai Indians retain Rohit, Malinga, Pollard, Harbhajan and Rayudu
    Mumbai name 5,no johnson.

Last edited by brockley; 10-01-2014 at 07:40 AM.

Dehli keeping no one,not even Pieterson.

Bet Cssk will get one of MJ, KP or Warner.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Source: Espncricinfo
    Link: Retention List

Chennai Super Kings
    Players retained: MS Dhoni, Suresh Raina, Ravindra Jadeja, R Ashwin, Dwayne Bravo
    Auction purse remaining: Rs 210 million
    Right-to-match cards available: 1 (not eligible for a capped India player)

Delhi Daredevils
    Players retained: None
    Auction purse remaining: Rs 600 million
    Right-to-match cards available: 3

Kings XI Punjab
    Players retained: David Miller, Manan Vohra
    Auction purse remaining: Rs 435 million
    Right-to-match cards available: 2

Kolkata Knight Riders
    Players retained: Gautam Gambhir, Sunil Narine
    Auction purse remaining: Rs 380 million

Mumbai Indians
    Players retained: Rohit Sharma, Lasith Malinga, Kieron Pollard, Harbhajan Singh, Ambati Rayudu
    Auction purse remaining: Rs 210 million
    Right-to-match cards available: 1

Rajasthan Royals
    Players retained: Shane Watson, James Faulkner, Ajinkya Rahane, Sanju Samson, Stuart Binny
    Auction purse remaining: Rs 225 million

Royal Challengers Bangalore
    Players retained: Virat Kohli, Chris Gayle, AB de Villiers
    Auction purse remaining: Rs 305 million

Sunrisers Hyderabad
    Players retained: Shikhar Dhawan, Dale Steyn
    Auction purse remaining: Rs 380 million

I'd like to have some teams investing in Indian pace/seam bowlers, and picking them in pairs. Like Delhi Daredevils choosing Umesh and Aaron (DD squad members and occasionally playing fro India, or Kolkata opting for Aaron and Shami (East Zone), or Bangalore opting for Umesh, Pankaj Singh and Ishwar Pandey (Central Zone), or Punjab bringing together Sandeep, Sid Kaul and Rishi Dhawan (North Zone, leading wicket-takers).

Kedar Jadhav has to be in the frontline for at least one team. Mumbai Indians, from the home of the formidable Mumbai Ranji team that was defeated by his team Maharashtra, should snatch him. In other news, he's also leading the runs tally. Very good OD/T20 figures, and surely an upgrade over the scratchy Rayudu.

Kolkata KR never gave Anureet Singh enough chances, often promoting their overseas professionals and a few India stars. Now, though, he's on the verge of being the leading wicket-taker this Ranji, and should figure in one team regularly.

Delhi retain nobody. Some, like Sehwag, Irfan, James Hopes and maybe David Warner, had to go. Not surprisingly, ever since the Sehwag-Gambhir partnership was broken to accommodate Warner, things have gone downhill for them, but Gambhir's stuck in Kolkata and Sehwag, well, is not getting runs. What would IPL Delhi 2014 look like? They may want to get back Morne, Warner and Mahela, but won't chase Pietersen, but I do hope they also look at Ranji performers.

I'd also prefer to see plenty of players who have played together get picked together, so that better teams can be formed. I'd like players from one state, one zone, A teams or overseas league teams put together, and not merely salad mix teams like KKR and Pune, which, unsurprisingly, have struggled, bar KKR's lone IPL win.
    "Talent is nothing without opportunity"
    "You're not remembered for aiming at the target, but hitting it"

Twenty20 used to be boring.

Sponsored...by...nothing!!!

International Vice-Captain Contra's Avatar
    I remember when Richard Levi hit the fastest 100 or something in a T20 just before the IPL auctions in NZ, then he got bought for big bucks only to fizzle out soon after. Same thing will probably happen to this Corey dude, I saw that innings but as awesome an achievement it is there was nothing fancy about his batting, not to mention the ridiculously small ground. Didn't McCullum once hit 80 odd against Bangers a few years back on that same ground?

Quote Originally Posted by Contra View Post
    I remember when Richard Levi hit the fastest 100 or something in a T20 just before the IPL auctions in NZ, then he got bought for big bucks only to fizzle out soon after. Same thing will probably happen to this Corey dude, I saw that innings but as awesome an achievement it is there was nothing fancy about his batting, not to mention the ridiculously small ground.
    it's not a particularly small ground. Not the MCG, no, but bigger than plenty of other grounds around the world. Most of the sixes were 90M+ anyway.

International Debutant ohnoitsyou's Avatar
    I remember when Richard Levi hit the fastest 100 or something in a T20 just before the IPL auctions in NZ, then he got bought for big bucks only to fizzle out soon after. Same thing will probably happen to this Corey dude, I saw that innings but as awesome an achievement it is there was nothing fancy about his batting, not to mention the ridiculously small ground. Didn't McCullum once hit 80 odd against Bangers a few years back on that same ground?
    Richard Levi's innings had like 4-5 top edges which would have been caught on any other ground. Most of Anderson's mi****s still went a long long way.

The funny thing about Anderson is that T20's is the format he has performed the worst in. I know his big innings was in a match that was similar to a T20 match..

State Captain
    Corey Anderson is 100 times the batsman Richard Levi is, he has a Test hundred and can bowl. Nothing fancy about a 36-ball hundred? I'd have to disagree. Queenstown is not a 'ridiculously small ground' - it's not big but neither are a lot of the IPL venues. Yes, Brendon did score 80 odd - you may also recall him making 156 off 73 balls around the same time in the IPL.

The odd thing about that comparison is that Brendon McCullum is probably the best t20 batsman in the world.

Yeah but it was ridiculously fast from McCullum that one, 80* in the sixth over -
    3rd ODI: New Zealand v Bangladesh at Queenstown, Dec 31, 2007 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo
    Quote Originally Posted by The Feral Abacus View Post
    Another exaggerated personality stereotype conspiracy brought to you by Kippax.
    NZ RAIN RADAR . TAB CRICKET OPTIONS . KIPPAX CRICKET . DOOR TO THE VAULT

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    If Neesham can give the Champions League sides a fright then Anderson can be a good IPL player imo. Corey is a couple of years ahead of Neesham development wise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

International Vice-Captain Contra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNZ View Post
    Corey Anderson is 100 times the batsman Richard Levi is, he has a Test hundred and can bowl. Nothing fancy about a 36-ball hundred? I'd have to disagree. Queenstown is not a 'ridiculously small ground' - it's not big but neither are a lot of the IPL venues. Yes, Brendon did score 80 odd - you may also recall him making 156 off 73 balls around the same time in the IPL.
    I didn't say there is nothing fancy about a 36 ball hundred, I said it's an awesome achievement, I just don't think his batting is any more special than tons of innings we've seen in recent times in ODI/T20 cricket. Of course this was in an ODI (albeit in a shortened game) so he might have a greater chance at making an impact for NZ than Levi did for SA. My point was more that the IPL owners buy players usually based on 1 or 2 good innings, they're probably going "wow this dude broke the world record" and they will pick him based on that expecting him to perform similarly in the IPL, which I think is unlikely to happen, and it's the same thing that happened to Levi.

Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information