• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Broad now better than Anderson?

Is Broad better than Anderson

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

ImpatientLime

International Regular
anderson has put in some other worldly performances in the uae in 2016 and 2012 on horrible pitches.

but his performance in india in 2012 on bunsens that gave nothing to seamers where he picked up 12 wickets and the next best pacers had 4 were his pièce de résistance.

Howe_zat

Audio File
anderson has put in some other worldly performances in the uae in 2016 and 2012 on horrible pitches.

but his performance in india in 2012 on bunsens that gave nothing to seamers where he picked up 12 wickets and the next best pacers had 4 were his pièce de résistance.
Pace bowling in Asia, last 10 years Bowling records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

Steyn in a class of his own, Anderson second, no one else near. Must be all the overcast weather you get in dubai huh

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Heh, apart from Morkel, not a single non-SC bowler has anywhere close to even acceptable stats.

Broad's done very well in the UAE on both tours though IIRC

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Pace bowling in Asia, last 10 years Bowling records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

Steyn in a class of his own, Anderson second, no one else near. Must be all the overcast weather you get in dubai huh
Those figures are why I've been comparing Anderson to McGrath for a while. They're very similar to the sorts of results McGrath got in Asia during the latter part of his career - not the most destructive of bowlers (IIRC McGrath has no 5fors in India) but goes for **** all runs (Anderson's economy rate is significantly better than everyone else's on that list) and still takes his wickets pretty cheaply.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
just going off the top of my head the two places jimmy has never really looked that threatening have been south africa and new zealand.

Stapel

International Regular
Not true I watched both 2013-14 Ashes series

but yeah that's about it
Not enough then? Once upon a time, Jimmy was a very useful bowler when conditions suited him, but rather useless otherwise. Consequently, he picked up his first 100 wickets at 35 (or so). I can't say if there ever was a clear cut point in his career where het got it, but to me it's a rather simple fact he is the most improved bowler ever. He's proven to be a very very good bowler, no matter where & when.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Broad's done very well in the UAE on both tours though IIRC
True, but I get the sense Broad hasn't really shown what he can do in Asia, his figures from his debut series in SL are terrible but he just didn't take wickets in general at the start of his career, and his tour to India in 2012 was pretty poor because of injury/slow recovery. Has a lot more to prove this winter than Anderson.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
just going off the top of my head the two places jimmy has never really looked that threatening have been south africa and new zealand.
He bowled really well in 09/10.

It's a shame he got injured last time out, South Africa should be perfect for him.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
True, but I get the sense Broad hasn't really shown what he can do in Asia, his figures from his debut series in SL are terrible but he just didn't take wickets in general at the start of his career, and his tour to India in 2012 was pretty poor because of injury/slow recovery. Has a lot more to prove this winter than Anderson.
Bear in mind the figures in your table include 2 Tests in Bangladesh that Broad played and Anderson missed.

IIRC Broad wasn't the best in the Windies last year either.

Howe_zat

Audio File
He bowled really well in 09/10.

It's a shame he got injured last time out, South Africa should be perfect for him.
Don't really agree. Most of that series was Amla and Kallis steadily batting us out of the game, and the match England won it was Broad and Swann doing the damage.

flibbertyjibber

Is it wrong to say that Broad, when he's truly on is far, far better than Anderson can be?
No.

I would imagine the players in other sides fear Broad more than Anderson as when Broad gets on a roll he is like Ambrose and does it so often he is a real danger. The days of Anderson running through sides are becoming rarer despite his exploits this week.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
When Anderson wrecks ****, as oppose to just bowls well, it's usually because the ball is hooping around corners, which means other players are taking wickets as well and Anderson doesn't look quite so much as a standout. It's also why people say he relies on conditions, but that overlooks that Anderson can bowl well and take wickets without that happening, including in Australia in 2010 where he was patient, economical and relied on reverse.

Broad running through a side on one of his 'on' days seems to happen less because of suitable bowling conditions and more because the moons have aligned and Olympus deems it necessary. That makes him appear more dangerous more often and has the added benefit of it being all about him.

TheJediBrah

When Anderson wrecks ****, as oppose to just bowls well, it's usually because the ball is hooping around corners, which means other players are taking wickets as well and Anderson doesn't look quite so much as a standout. It's also why people say he relies on conditions, but that overlooks that Anderson can bowl well and take wickets without that happening, including in Australia in 2010 where he was patient, economical and relied on reverse.

Broad running through a side on one of his 'on' days seems to happen less because of suitable bowling conditions and more because the moons have aligned and Olympus deems it necessary. That makes him appear more dangerous more often and has the added benefit of it being all about him.
Intredasting

Daemon

tbf the UAE 2012 tour was pretty bowler friendly wasn't it? At least I recall thinking that when I saw Gul pick up 5-fers on two separate occassions. My memory's not very clear of that tour tbh, the only thing I recall 100% accurately is England failing to chase a really low total.