• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Broad now better than Anderson?

Is Broad better than Anderson

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
James Anderson has to be the most skillful swing bowler that I've seen. Dale Steyn can swing it away Allan Donald and Shane Bond could predominantly swing it in but no one that i've watched had the mastery of doing it both with the sort of control that Anderson has. He won't be rated as highly as the likes of Donald and Steyn due to the relatively higher average though
Alderman made it talk in the UK.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Broad's better in general, Anderson better at making the most of helpful conditions

Suggesting that either of them are in the same vicinity as McGrath, Donald or Steyn, as bowlers in general, would be laughable though.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Since this thread was made, Anderson has 100 wickets in 22 tests, averaging 21.61.

Reads the forum I guess.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm quite surprised to read that some people here rate Broad higher than Anderson. Jimmy for me has always been unequivocally the better bowler. I really appreciate both players for their longevity though. IMO Broad & Anderson are England's greatest opening combination since Willis & Botham.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
so where do these two rank all time amongst english quicks?

deffo the best two since willis/botham imo. followed by gough, fraser and flintoff (when he bothered to pitch it up).

in terms of all time they probably sit below the following....

willis
botham
trueman
statham
bedser
barnes
snow

so top 10?

OverratedSanity

I hope Anderson and Broad keep tearing it up and end up with averages close to 25 so that all those runs Dravid and Sangakkara scored against them retroactively get even more praise.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Broad's better in general, Anderson better at making the most of helpful conditions

Suggesting that either of them are in the same vicinity as McGrath, Donald or Steyn, as bowlers in general, would be laughable though.
I would say it's the opposite. Anderson's your man for all conditions whereas Broad is who you want in helpful conditions as he's more likely to go on a roll and just destroy a batting lineup.

TheJediBrah

I would say it's the opposite. Anderson's your man for all conditions whereas Broad is who you want in helpful conditions as he's more likely to go on a roll and just destroy a batting lineup.
You may be right, I'm mostly just judging by most of the times I've seen Anderson in unhelpful conditions being completely useless

Howe_zat

Audio File
so where do these two rank all time amongst english quicks?

deffo the best two since willis/botham imo. followed by gough, fraser and flintoff (when he bothered to pitch it up).

in terms of all time they probably sit below the following....

willis
botham
trueman
statham
bedser
barnes
snow

so top 10?
I would just about have Anderson over Beefy on bowling alone, but depending on how far back you want to go there are a handful of others in this group, Lohmann, Larwood etc

The only two that I would put ahead of Anderson with a gap are Barnes and Trueman, but he might not make the top 10 depending on the wind. The figures are no real help here, Anderson has 300 wickets at 25 this decade, which is a similar enough record to what Statham, Bedser and Willis got overall as to make it up to whatever you're feeling