• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Where is Bishoo?

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Bishoo? well i remember the lad aged 23 for Guyana when he first burst through..he was dazzling batsmen and looked so confident. Then came the late call up to the last one day world cup as Marlon Samuels replacement and his good form continued...he was a breath of fresh air and a decent leggy is always good to watch. He won the ICC award as the "best emerging talent" and then his test debut quickly followed. He took a 4fer on debut against Pakistan and really did look the part. Also against India he took another 4fer. But the more he played the more he'd bowl four good balls followed by a longhop. It was frustrating but we kept patient. In late 2011 after he had a decent tour of Bangledash we toured India and that's when the first cracks started to appear...he just didn't have a good time at all and his confidence dipped.

When he burst onto the scene Shillingford had just been banned the first time and Benn was totally out of the picture..so he had a clear run of it...but at the exact same time Bishoo was struggling in India back in the caribbean a young pretender was starting to make noise...and with every game the young pretender bowled the excitement around him was building into a fever pitch...the young man would later be known to the wider public as Sunil Narine.

Narine was bamboozling everyone in sight to the extent that he was called up for the ODI's of that same india series and Bishoo was sent home...so right there he knew his position was vulnerable. Then came the Australia series in early 2012!!..first the ODI series took place and once again Bishoo missed out. Narine played and was an absolute revelation... very nearly winning us that series on his own..and so the calls for him to play the tests went into overdrive. But luckily for Bishoo our selectors are a bunch of idiots so they allowed Narine to go to the IPL instead of playing the tests...Bishoo had another chance.

During the Australia tests he was getting it to turn and had spells where he looked dangerous but again the longhops kept coming and this time they were more regular..he was dropped after the first test and Shillingford came back from his ban and took a 10fer....Bishoo's time in the sun was over.

Since then he's played some A-team games and didn't impress...and played in the last four day competition and wasn't amoungst the top wicket takers like he had been in previous seasons....BUT...in the last few weeks there's been some interesting news coming out of Guyana...in their domestic three day competition Bishoo performed for his club and took a whole bunch of wickets..apparently he's put on a bit of muscle and is looking back to his old self again...he took about 20 wickets in three games or something...really good figures.

With Shilly out of the picture and question marks over Permaul's position Bishoo..who just turned 28...has a chance to get back into the WI picture if he has a good season with Guyana when our four day competition starts in a few months time. It's all up to him. He's not gonna be number one again because that's Narine but if we play two spinners he will be right in the picture if he can find his form.

Last edited:

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
I would love to see him back at top form. The NZ commentators hype over Sodhi (who is half the bowler Bishoo is IMHO) made me immediately think of him. I love watching proper leg spinners who can really turn their leggies and he is one of those. I've heard he's been working on his batting too. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how he does in our domestic cricket this year.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
To be serious though, that's a cracking post WW. It's good to have some guys on here who keep up to speed with WI cricket, domestic as well as international. Cheers for the info on him.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
To be serious though, that's a cracking post WW. It's good to have some guys on here who keep up to speed with WI cricket, domestic as well as international. Cheers for the info on him.
Yeah cheers...i'll try to write more stuff during the first class season aswell...but right now it's been tough hanging around this place after the embarrassments my team has provided of late!! :D .

Last edited:

Burgey

It's not easy, but no one can criticise you for not sticking solid mate. Doesn't help when idiots like me pop up and slag them off either, but I think I get a bit disappointed because I remember the halcyon days and how good they were to watch as well. Hopefully they'll get on the improve soon

Athlai

Not Terrible
What is the fascination with Permaul? I'd have though Nikita Miller would still be a better option than him.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
What is the fascination with Permaul? I'd have though Nikita Miller would still be a better option than him.
He is seen as the annointed one by our selectors (who as you all know from both mine and WWs ramblings, are worse than useless). They see him as having leadership qualities and so made him A team captain just before his promotion to the senior team.

I think Miller is a far superior bowler. The man averages 16 runs per wicket in FC cricket! They both took wickets in A team cricket but Miller's record blows everyone else out of the water. I would love to see him and Bishoo fighting it out for the 2nd spinning spot in our next domestic season. We have a lot of spin bowling talent, I just wish we had such depth with our seamers.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
He is seen as the annointed one by our selectors (who as you all know from both mine and WWs ramblings, are worse than useless). They see him as having leadership qualities and so made him A team captain just before his promotion to the senior team.

I think Miller is a far superior bowler. The man averages 16 runs per wicket in FC cricket! They both took wickets in A team cricket but Miller's record blows everyone else out of the water. I would love to see him and Bishoo fighting it out for the 2nd spinning spot in our next domestic season. We have a lot of spin bowling talent, I just wish we had such depth with our seamers.
I don't mind the kid to be honest...he's been consistent for Guyana for the last three or so years and has found himself in the top four or five wicket takers each season. He's had a tough start his test career having only played away from home thus far but the interesting thing is he's not gone wicketless in any of his test innings yet...which is a good habit to have. He's openly admitted that he wants to add more variety to his bowling and is said to be working on his doosra in the nets...we'll see if the hard work pays off in the next four day season.

As for Miller...his record speaks for itself but many judge him on what he done in the one dayers for WI and it wasn't very impressive...if he has another impressive season though he might get a look in. The beef between him and Samuels though isn't helping his case..

One spinner who has been treated appallingly is Kavesh Kantasingh..one could argue he's been better than Miller in two of the last three years but somehow he's been overlooked for the A-team...just pathetic.

Burgey

Didn't Miller have some disciplinary issues a few years ago? Or am I thinking of Benn?

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Excellent posting WW, nothing really to add. Bishoo just bowls too much bad ball between the good ones, Permaul for me lakc penetration and don't understand why Miller has been overlooked in favor of Permaul to be honest. He bowled pretty decently in his A team appearences as well.

One thing to remember though is that the wickets in the Caribbean of late have been very spin friendly, especially for FC cricket and that combined with the fact that most of the doemstic batsmen look lost at sea against spin also helps to inflate some of the averages of the domestic spinners.