• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Dale Steyn the Greatest Match Winner of All Time?

indiaholic

International Captain
The case as presented here: A CRICKETING VIEW: The Greatest Match Winner Of All Time

Dale Steyn took his 350th Test wicket in his 69th Test at Kingsmead, Durban against India on December 30, 2013. His strike rate over 350 Tests is unmatched - 42 balls per wicket. Richard Hadlee, the other fast bowler who reached his 350th wicket in his 69th Test, at 50.8 balls per wicket. Dennis Lillee had 347 wickets after his 69th Test. Waqar Younis, whose strike rate almost matches Steyn's, had 315 wickets.

But it is in wins that Steyn sets himself apart from his foremost equals among fast bowlers. South Africa have won more than half the Tests Steyn has played in. Steyn has 247 wickets in those 37 wins. Richard Hadlee comes close in the 22 Tests that New Zealand won when he played.

Statistically, Steyn is the greatest match winner of all time in my view. He hasn't had a steady partner at the other end. Vernon Philander's arrival has certainly helped. Morne Morkel has shared 26 Test wins with Steyn, in which the former has 96 wickets. In wins, Steyn's wickets have come at 16 apiece. But it is his strike rate which sets him apart from his peers - a wicket every 5 overs. No other fast bowler has more five wicket hauls in wins. The three spinners Muralitharan, Warne and Kumble have more, but their wickets have taken longer to come. If we exclude the minnows (Bangladesh and Zimbabwe), then a large chunk of Murali's 5 wickets hauls in wins (41!) are eliminated. He has a humane 24 five wicket hauls in 33 wins. But Steyn's record is undiminished. He still has 225 wickets in 33 wins at the rate of one wicket every 31.2 balls.

Steyn.jpg

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Average in wins, centuries in wins, 5fers in wins are all stupid statistics. It may show that when the cricketer does well, the team wins, but it's equally possible that the cricketer is performing well when the team is on top and the going's good. A downhill skiier if you will.
It doesn't show he's a match winner imo

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Or for a bowler it could mean that when they are on for their team wins. They make/ contribute their team win.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Or for a bowler it could mean that when they are on for their team wins. They make/ contribute their team win.
It also includes all those times when you have 650 on the board and winning is almost a formality. I know someone's got to take the wickets and all, but I don't think it's a reliable statistic to draw a conclusion that he's a bigger match winner

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Steyn is up there with the all-time greats now. I fail to understand how people still argue with that. A bad series for him is such a rarity.

indiaholic

International Captain
Average in wins, centuries in wins, 5fers in wins are all stupid statistics. It may show that when the cricketer does well, the team wins, but it's equally possible that the cricketer is performing well when the team is on top and the going's good. A downhill skiier if you will.
It doesn't show he's a match winner imo
Agreed. A very deceptive number.

indiaholic

International Captain
Steyn is up there with the all-time greats now. I fail to understand how people still argue with that. A bad series for him is such a rarity.
Amongst the bowlers I have seen play I rate him higher than everybody except McGrath and maybe Ambrose.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah no one can argue it anymore. I think I will now put him in top 5 pace bowlers of all time.