• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jim Laker - Better than Swann?

salman85

International Debutant
With Swann's retirement and a ton of people calling him the best spinner England produced,the only name that came up as an alternative to Swann as England's best ever spinner was Underwood.

In all that, how come Laker never got mentioned? He is surely a very strong contender for the tag of England's best.Had a phenomenal Test and First Class record.Maybe even a better contender than Swann?

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Easily better than Swann imo. Laker's the second greatest offie ever after Murali

And are people really calling him England's greatest spinners? I love Swann, but that's over rating him a bit

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Swann was a better bowler than Illy and Laker, imo, was better than either of them. It's a difficult comparison though as unlike Swann Laker was rarely a lock in the England side, so he didn't always get to play on wickets that wouldn't help him, and in addition he usually played alongside a top class left arm spinner (Lock or Wardle) as well

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
England's greatest spinners - Verity and Underwood. Then Rhodes, Laker, Wardle, Swann. Don't know much about the very early guys like Peel, Blythe, Briggs. Not counting Barnes here though we probably should,

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah Laker was comfortably ahead of Swann.

I don't think I've actually heard anyone say Swann's the best spinner England have produced; closest I've heard is stuff like "best English spinner since covered wickets", "best English spinner I've seen in my lifetime", "best English spinner since Underwood" etc. I'd be interested to see some sort of source that straight up claims him to be the best ever.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah all I've seen is best since Underwood. Laker comfortably ahead, and wouldn't disagree with him being second greatest offie of all time.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So difficult to know, basically a different game back then with uncovered pitches but no DRS.

Would be great to swap them for a year at peak and see how they did in each others conditions.