• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in New Zealand 2013/14

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Surprising that Guptill averaged so highly in List A - I must be thinking of his first class record, where he was first selected to New Zealand with an average under 30 and hardly any centuries.

Still, horribly inconsistent and a mental head case, Australia would sack him in a heart beat, even if he was considered talented.
Haha geez you're like my ex girlfriend. First off, the 22 year old comparison is way off base, we aren't selecting 22-year-old Gup. Secondly, we are not Australia. Why make comparisons with a completely different system/talent pool? I can tell you Australia wouldn't be picking Daryl Mitchell, either. In fact, didn't the very same Daryl Mitchell come back from said country because he didn't see himself afforded the opportunities he'd have here? He's a decent player, no doubt, and will only get better as he faces a world-class bowler in Trent swinging it both ways in the nets on a semi-regular occasion. Then in a couple of years he might be in line to stand up to the Blocky international consistency test

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
Again, compare Guptill's domestic stats as a 22 yr old versus Mitchell then come back to me.

I have not looked at the averages (they are painful to extract so please provide) I know his FC average was poor, but in list A cricket Guptill was winning matches for Auckland as a 22 year old by scoring big, which is why he was first selected in the ODIs, and he proceeded to score a century on debut. In Guptills first year of ODI cricket he was included in the ICC team of the year-the last NZ batsman to be included in any ICC team iirc- so maybe he was ready for ODI’s.

Unfortunatly and I think most people here will agree with this he was not ready for test cricket, similar to Ross Taylor who was not ready for test cricket on the 07 RSA tour, as both these player did not have a method for scoring runs in the long format of the game

Guptill is not going to be dropped despite your whishes but I am curious in your opinion what sort of numbers does he need to put up this year in ODI cricket to deserve his spot at the world cup?

Edit: Grammar

Last edited:

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Comparing someone with a strike rate of a hundred every four innings versus someone with a hundred every 40.... yeah, that's sane.
I wasn't comparing Guptill with Bradman, but showing how ridiculous it is to be taking big scores off a player and then saying they have a crap average.

If you take away all centuries, and not outs:
Fleming averages 26.40 opening
Guptill averages 26.08 opening
Astle averages 25.27 opening

But once you start playing with statistics like that, they're basically meaningless.
Like saying human being only live to an average age of 55.* We die so ****ing young!!!!!!!

*once you taking out all the people who lived past 80.

Guptill may be going through a lean patch, but he still averages more than any other one day opener in NZ history not named Turner.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Like saying human being only live to an average age of 55.* We die so ****ing young!!!!!!!

*once you taking out all the people who lived past 80.
This is actually not a meaningless stat, IMO. But would be better and easier to just take the median or something similar.

Blocky

Banned
I still can't believe the defense people attempt to make on Guptill.

Statistically, he's completely incompetent and has been since the start of his career and anyone with an objective view on performance in sport would see that. If we take his performance over the last three seasons and remove the easy runs that he (and every other side) currently score against a toothless Zimbabwe team, even including two not out centuries against England, he averages a paltry 17.55, with an average strike rate per innings of 57.04.

That however gives you no picture of consistency, as it simply takes all results no matter how good or bad. If we look at his median inning stats, his median innings - i.e what he can be expected to score more often than not, is a terrible 7.5. His median strike rate, again, i.e what he can expected to hit those 7.5 at, is a horrible 51.25

Guptill will not be in the world cup squad, simply because we have a series against India in which he'll score SFA, a series against West Indies who he'll likely score once in all the limited overs stuff and a series against Sri Lanka - who he'll score SFA against. He doesn't have the usual escape clause and eventually, a run of single figure scores off 20 balls will be noticed if it hasn't already, by an increasingly statistically aware NZ Cricket team.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
If we take his performance over the last three seasons and remove the easy runs that he (and every other side) currently score against a toothless Zimbabwe team, even including two not out centuries against England, he averages a paltry 17.55, with an average strike rate per innings of 57.04.
Huh? My quick look at statsguru states that after you account for his efforts against Zimbabwe he's scored 999 runs at 34.44 over the last 3 years.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Statistically, he's completely incompetent and has been since the start of his career and anyone with an objective view on performance in sport would see that. If we take his performance over the last three seasons and remove the easy runs that he (and every other side) currently score against a toothless Zimbabwe team, even including two not out centuries against England, he averages a paltry 17.55, with an average strike rate per innings of 57.04.

Martin Guptill, Last 3 years, minus Zimbabwe

Yeah nah.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Look, Guptill's inconsistency is a legitimate area of concern, but given that it really isn't long since he crushed a couple of match-winning hundreds it's silly to say that he should be on the chopping block, especially given that the most likely replacement (Latham) has yet to really set the world alight.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Oh OK, so you mean since the beginning of the 2011/12 season, not since three years. In that case, Guptill's average still comes up as 33.50 when you take out his matches against Zimbabwe. It sounds to me like you're still leaving his efforts against England out of the analysis.

Blocky

Banned
Doctoring? They're easily checked.

The guy has a terrible rate of single figure scores and even worse, he's generally soaking up 15-20 balls to get that median of 7.5 .