• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in New Zealand 2013/14

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Haha, I think this might be a stalemate because I don't see many of the Indian posters daring to believe, and I can understand that. When India went to SA though I was expecting a bloodbath because with the greatest respect to the previous generation, if you put them in certain situations they tended to fall to pieces. Especially blokes not called Dravid and Tendulkar (though they had their moments). They were excellent players but there were chinks in the armour. When I watched how well Vijay, Pujara and Kohli left the ball (I didn't get to watch much of Sharma or Rahane sadly because I had to come home to stone age internet halfway through the first test) and applied themselves I was surprised and impressed. This lot are definitely more aware of how to succeed overseas than their forebears, and it's more impressive when you consider history tells us the first tour to South Africa or a similarly nasty country can be messy for young Indian batsmen.

When you couple that with the bowling attack which is just genuinely good and much better than the 2009 side with the exception of Ishant then India are well placed to be better overseas than perhaps they have ever been.
I think you're selling that Indian team short. From 2007-2010 that Indian team beat England in England 1-0, lost 2-1 to Australia in Australia including losing that infamous Sydney test, beat NZ 1-0 and then drew South Africa in South Africa 1-1. Laxman, Tendulkar and Dravid were all guns overseas, and each of them saved India overseas in all four of those countries.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Sorry, should have clarified: When I talk about the previous generation I meant 2000-2010, which includes Ganguly etc. There were tours where their techniques went missing.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah, there are definitely promising signs from this current side, especially given the ages of the batsmen. There's plenty to get excited about and there' no doubt about that.

But the side that toured New Zealand in 2009 was India's greatest ever Test side and had accomplished far, far more. It was a seriously good side, especially if you're primarily talking about the overseas techniques of the batsmen (as you are). You want to talk about showing fight in South Africa; they won a Test there and drew the series.

Prensel

U19 Cricketer
Obviously what people want and what we will get will most likely be different. What do people think the actual test squad for NZ will be?

Energetic

U19 Cricketer
New Zealand should win the test series. Definitely cannot see them losing on their grounds. ODIs will be tough.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Well test squads for the home side are always a little artificial, as they can really call up anyone they like. But I think the 13 man squad for the first test will almost certainly be (injury permitting)

Rutherford, Fulton, Williamson, Taylor, McCullum, Ryder, Anderson, Watling, Sodhi, Boult, Southee, Wagner, Bennett

The only uncertainty is around who the 4th seamer will be. Could easily see Bracewell clinging on to the role ahead of Bennett.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
New ball bully. I'll remember this one. This was a criticism of many Indian seam/swing bowlers, who lost it completely when the shine went off. The latest example is Bhuvneshwar Kumar, who's competitive and can scalp an early wicket when it's fresh and new, but either can't leave a dent or gets manhandled by batting sides when the ball is old.

Ideally, New Zealand need to prepare flat pitches to have an advantage against the Indians. That bowling attack is completely incapable on a pitch that doesn't seam or turn breaking news. Post a score over 500, and they will crumble in at least the second innings, if not the first. Their batting lineup is imperfect, but not incompetent on seaming wickets, on which they can hope to bowl the Kiwis out for more or less the same score they manage.

I do hope Ishwar Pandey is a much-improved bowler from the green-top great (and should I say new-ball bully) from the bowler who bossed over the Ranji Trophy, only for Chris Gayle to boss over him in one IPL game, which ended his stay in the IPL save one consolation game. He's been in good form for India A in South Africa, which is a step up, albeit against a comparable opposition to his team, and although he's not as fast as Umesh Yadav or Varun Aaron, he's fitter and has form on his side, and can add a little extra pace to be competitive.

A rotation of places between Binny, Jadders, Bucky and Ashwin for the number seven and eight spots is likely- but except Ashwin, none are likely to get a bagful of wickets, which is what we'd want, as India fans. For that, they may depend a little too much on Shami-Pandey-Aaron (if fit). The selection of Varun Aaron, who's been chipping away in Ranji against the top tier teams, is a good one, and I hope he plays all three games, alongside Pandey and Shami.

What more does Pankaj Singh have to do to play for India? Fudge his age? He's been doing more than chip wickets- he's grabbing bagfuls, and was getting close to the wickets tally leader in Ranji, only for his challenge to end as his team missed the knockouts.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
I am genuinely excited with the way the Indian team is shaping up, Bhuvi should be a straight swap for Ishant, the ball swings a lot more in NZ and his bowling will be better utilized. Bhuvi is a better bat as well which must be considered after the recent tail collapses in SA. Backing Zak to hit top form on this tour, and hopefully Shammi makes a better contribution. Pujara looks like a total run machine and Kohli should play at least one solid knock in the series, Rahane should bat @ 5 instead of Rohit IMO, in fact dropping rohit in order to play 2 spinners + 3 seamers might not be the worst idea to balance out the bowling workload which was a problem in the SA series, but it's unlikely that will happen.

Howsie

International Captain
Obviously what people want and what we will get will most likely be different. What do people think the actual test squad for NZ will be?
I just can't wait to see how they fit Ryder into the playing XI tbh.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I must say that the strategy of picking Anderson and playing Sodhi in Bangladesh has been a huge net positive in terms of outcome. As much as we all like to play the best team possible at all times, and as much as we don't like taking punts, it's given us a major potential strength in a facet of the game that's been inexistant in NZ cricket for nearly a decade.

Both Anderson and Ryder simply must play in this series. Whether that means Anderson plays as the 4th bowler or McCullum is forced to open, I don't care. But there's no way either of them can't be selected.

Prensel

U19 Cricketer
Well test squads for the home side are always a little artificial, as they can really call up anyone they like. But I think the 13 man squad for the first test will almost certainly be (injury permitting)

Rutherford, Fulton, Williamson, Taylor, McCullum, Ryder, Anderson, Watling, Sodhi, Boult, Southee, Wagner, Bennett

The only uncertainty is around who the 4th seamer will be. Could easily see Bracewell clinging on to the role ahead of Bennett.
I like the squad. But Is Vettori not going to be available? Bracewell should probably not be in the squad, hasn't been good in the PS games. Hope to see some of the bowlers including Bennett do good in the PS game before the 1st Test, to try to get the last spot in the squad.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
There's a lot of rumours swirling around that Vettori is going to announce his retirement from test cricket soon, and just focus on limited overs cricket until the 2015 World Cup.

Prensel

U19 Cricketer
There's a lot of rumours swirling around that Vettori is going to announce his retirement from test cricket soon, and just focus on limited overs cricket until the 2015 World Cup.
Boo. Sodhi isn't exactly ready and its not like we have much else.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
You'll remember I told you this a long time ago, friends. Hope you made money on it

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
He'll replace Sodhi as spinner imo
I said this a while ago, but I think he'll just replace Rutherford (or possibly Fulton) as opener. I don't think it's the best option for the side (in fact I think it's only about the fourth best option) but with him opening in one day cricket and both the openers struggling so much more than the rest of the middle order, I think it's the most likely way in for him.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Having him replace Sodhi would probably be pretty high on my list actually. Not actually as a spinner of course, but with Anderson and Williamson (both currently better bowlers than Sodhi IMO) taking on a little more responsibility with the ball and Ryder chipping in a bit too. McCullum opening is by far the best option but realistically unlikely.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Baz's hand may get forced (into opening) the ball is in Jesse's court for the last ODI. BTW this is completely unrelated but when I was looking up the records yesterday there is an argument to be made that baz is the best T20 batsman in the world. You immediately think of Gayle but Baz has the international credentials.