• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in New Zealand 2013/14

Prensel

U19 Cricketer
So we have to go in with something like

Wagner
Bracewell
Southee
Boult

or

Sodhi
Wagner
Southee
Bout

Looks pretty stupid either way. Sodhi was hardly getting any bowling vs West Indies and was getting smashed. Imagine vs India. As for Bracewell, what consistency has he had..

Athlai

Not Terrible
Fast bowling pecking order appears to be Southee, Boult, Wagner, Bracewell, Bennett. No love for Wheeler or Henry. IMO the latter two would be my like for like injury cover for Boult and Southee respectively. I know Wheeler is a bit bouncier and Henry isn't quite a Southee either but if one of the ND duo ever went down those two would be best for restoring balance to the attack.

Latham and Guptill appear to be the next cabs off the rank to open the batting which I think is fair. Redmond has been sent back into obscurity after doing his job for one test and who is that Wellington bloke again?
Bennett being the next pace bowler and Guptill the next opener makes me very happy.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Sooooo many wides last night. Idiots getting carried away with the bouncer thing. Not enough overs from Nathan McCullum.

Overall very disappointing.

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
Was trying not to get these selections get in the way of having a good time, but they are just to damn ridiculous, whats even with picking a squad for a home series?

I certainly hope theres a round of FC cricket occurring during the warm up game, because its such a waste of an opportunity for our up and comers, Latham being the only NZ captain to win a game of red ball cricket against England etc etc.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Doug bracewell really?
I think Hesson looked at Bennett last night and saw a guy whose fitness wasn't going to allow him to bowl much more than 10 overs a day. It's very disappointing though, because I'd take almost any domestic bowler over this current version of Bracewell.

lol at Guptill being considered for test selection.

Flem274*

123/5
I reckon the unzud eleven is an attempt to give fringe FC players, under 19s and devcich a look at a really good team without giving india decent opposition.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I reckon the unzud eleven is an attempt to give fringe FC players, under 19s and devcich a look at a really good team without giving india decent opposition.
pretty much, it's exactly like what England and India do. Don't let the opposition break a sweat in their warmup.

Flem274*

123/5
lol at Guptill being considered for test selection.
Successful Openers This Season
Michael Papps: 6 matches, 709 @ 88.62
Martin Guptill: 4 matches, 613 @ 102.16
Tom Latham: 4 matches, 565 @ 80.71
Daniel Flynn: 6 matches, 496 @ 41.33
Jeet Raval: 6 matches, 430 @ 47.77
Aaron Redmond: 5 matches, 396 @ 44.00

Guptill has his flaws but not many can keep up with him and Latham. Give him a chance to show he conforms to the Peter Fulton Rule (effectiveness + guts > technique). We don't have many who fit the Turner Equation (Technique + guts + effectiveness = success).

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
How long before people like Henry and Wheeler are considered?
They're clearly being left to develop in FC (the Boult route) rather than thrown in early (the Southee route). By my quick addition Boult had 77 FC wickets at 26.4 when he made his test debut so both Henry and Wheeler are nearing that mark - in Henry's case at a significantly better average.

Prensel

U19 Cricketer
Was trying not to get these selections get in the way of having a good time, but they are just to damn ridiculous, whats even with picking a squad for a home series?

I certainly hope theres a round of FC cricket occurring during the warm up game, because its such a waste of an opportunity for our up and comers, Latham being the only NZ captain to win a game of red ball cricket against England etc etc.
The next round of FC is Jan 30 - Feb 2.

Flem274*

123/5
They're clearly being left to develop in FC (the Boult route) rather than thrown in early (the Southee route). By my quick addition Boult had 77 FC wickets at 26.4 when he made his test debut so both Henry and Wheeler are nearing that mark - in Henry's case at a significantly better average.
It's an interesting one. The Boult route was painful while he was out of the team and Franklin was rolling over his floaty mediums, but once he was in he had instant success. Southee deserved his initial selection but it was evident he wasn't ready until 2012 and it was painful to watch. You could argue those four years were the making of him since he's a little ahead of Boult but you could also go the other way and say his early selection pains held him back. It will be interesting to hear his opinion on it when he writes his book in a decade.

I think while we have two world class opening bowlers we can allow Henry, Wheeler and Milne to polish up in the Shield provided blokes who should be ready now like Wagner and Bennett can show they are test class. Gillespie falling off the wagon into what looks like terminal decline is a pain in the arse because at his best he is easily the third best bowler in the country.