• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in New Zealand 2013/14

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
This is my first post. I was at the game tonight, and New Zealand were batted into an unbelievably good position by a superb partnership from Guptill and Williamson. Kane did the right thing; with so many wickets in hand he tried to up the ante, but unfortunately lost his wicket in the process. NZ made the right call and send in Anderson, which didn't come off this time. Then a bunch of headless chooks took the field. The skipper did his boundary or out stuff; didn't even look to get a couple of singles away and have a sighter. Then there was harum scarum running and mindless cricket until the close; Taylors running always worries me, tailenders looked to play all sorts of scoop type shots instead of normal cricket shots, and Ronchi shone briefly amongst the chaos before he too imploded. We somehow made 314 after looking like making 275, after earlier looking like making 350 odd.

Then to the Indian innings: Southee and Mitch got things off to an awful start, and India had all the early momentum, before principally Hamish Bennet and secondly Corey Anderson bowled with superb control to the Indian top order. Kolhi's wicket was a body blow to India, and when Dhoni was out Indian supporters were seen to be leaving the stadium in droves. Through this period NMac bowled some cheap overs against conservative Indian batting as they couldn't afford to lose any more wickets....
....and then Mitch and Anderson started bowling complete garbage short balls, long hops and wides to lower order players, which Southee then continued. Because Bennett had bowled superbly from one end, McCullum puzzling switched him to the other. Southee bowled one yorker, which the batsman pedictably couldn't do anything with, before switching back to the garbage short balls, long hops and wides. As BMac was talking to the bowler before and after every delivery I can only presume he was saying "keep bowling the short stuff" and even though it wasn't working they kept bowling the rubbish, and they kept getting punished.

It was dumb, dumb, dumb cricket. It was terrible, terrible, terrible cricket. It was frustrating, infuriating and maddening to watch & to shout yourself hoarse calling for yorkers and tight bowling only to see the same failing plan get stuck with. NZ should never have drawn that game. They were in such a strong position that they just threw away. AAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
Welcome to the forum mate, keep posting like this and you will a welcome addition to the NZ (i presume?) bunch :)

Shri

Mr. Glass
Just when we all learnt how to tell Athlai and Phlegm apart another similar poster walks in.:p

Welcome Skyliner.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Brilliant first post. :)

I was at the game too. Stunning, brilliant contest, and I'm sure I'll remember it as such in the long term. But right now it hurts. A lot. So, so agonising.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
well done to india on improvements from the first two matches and bad luck to NZ for not winning this game but i do think you will win the series...

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
This is my first post. I was at the game tonight, and New Zealand were batted into an unbelievably good position by a superb partnership from Guptill and Williamson. Kane did the right thing; with so many wickets in hand he tried to up the ante, but unfortunately lost his wicket in the process. NZ made the right call and send in Anderson, which didn't come off this time. Then a bunch of headless chooks took the field. The skipper did his boundary or out stuff; didn't even look to get a couple of singles away and have a sighter. Then there was harum scarum running and mindless cricket until the close; Taylors running always worries me, tailenders looked to play all sorts of scoop type shots instead of normal cricket shots, and Ronchi shone briefly amongst the chaos before he too imploded. We somehow made 314 after looking like making 275, after earlier looking like making 350 odd.

Then to the Indian innings: Southee and Mitch got things off to an awful start, and India had all the early momentum, before principally Hamish Bennet and secondly Corey Anderson bowled with superb control to the Indian top order to wrest back control of the match for NZ. And Indian lost all momentum in their innings against such tight disciplined bowling. Kolhi's wicket was a body blow to India, and when Dhoni was out Indian supporters were seen to be leaving the stadium in droves. Through this period NMac bowled some cheap overs against conservative Indian batting as they couldn't afford to lose any more wickets....
....and then Mitch and Anderson (in one over at the start of the rot) started bowling complete garbage short balls, long hops and wides to lower order players, which Southee then continued. Against lower order players, the superb bowling became a bag of lichorice all-sorts, it was just weird. Because Bennett had bowled superbly from one end, McCullum puzzling switched him to the other, where he was notably less successful. Amongst the dross, Southee bowled one yorker, which the batsman pedictably couldn't do anything with, before maddeningly switching back to the garbage short balls, long hops and wides. As BMac was talking to the bowler before and after every delivery I can only presume he was saying "keep bowling the short stuff" and "yes, keep bowling the short stuff" : even though it wasn't working they kept bowling the rubbish, and they kept getting punished.

It was dumb, dumb, dumb cricket. It was terrible, terrible, terrible cricket. It was frustrating, infuriating and maddening to watch & to shout yourself hoarse calling for yorkers and tight bowling only to see the same failing plan get stuck with. NZ should never have drawn that game. They were in such a strong position that they just threw away. BMac just kept going with Mitch even though he was having a nightmare and had dropped his bundle. I would have backed Jesse to get through a couple of tight overs at some stage, but we had to stick to our dumb rigid 'plan'. AAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
Welcome to the forum Skyliner - if you want you can introduce yourself in the "welcome to cricket chat" thread and tell us a bit about yourself.

Jassy

Banned
Great game of cricket. One of the best I've seen in a long time. Give me such matches over a Pak-SL test series anyday. Guess Jadeja got a bit lucky, but Kohli was sawn off. India should take it 2-2:

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Great game of cricket. One of the best I've seen in a long time. Give me such matches over a Pak-SL test series anyday. Guess Jadeja got a bit lucky, but Kohli was sawn off. India should take it 2-2:
bit of a silly comparison, the ODI's between SL & Pak where just as exciting in four of the five games..compare like for like..

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha it was thrilling, but there were parts where some really poor cricket was at display from both sides. Wouldn't call it great but it depends how you define it I guess.

BeeGee

International Captain
Just an observation:

Anderson to Jadeja, FOUR, back of a length and just clubbed away by Jadeja to the deep midwicket boundary. Just what India needed. Anderson now under pressure for the remainder of the over

Anderson to Jadeja, FOUR, back of a length as Jadeja improvises a flick that he is able to maneuver to the vacant fine leg region for four

Anderson to Jadeja, SIX, Jadeja has just transcended a level as he simply hammers this short of a length ball right over the midwicket boundary for a six. The Indian contingent in the crowd go berserk. Now they need just 2 off 1.

Anderson to Jadeja, 1 run, and Jadeja succeeds in getting the tying run as he works this fuller one away towards mid-off, with silly mid-off cutting it off, but unable to stop the single. They don't bother to go back for the second as they know they are still in the series
The way to be successful bowling at the death is common knowledge. So why do so many bowlers struggle with it?

BeeGee

International Captain
Result wise, the one good thing for NZ to come from the tie is that India now cannot win this series.

And we're now above the WI in the rankings, at the dizzying height of seventh.

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Not sure if this has already been posted but Martin Crowe writes that Ryder shouldn't be rushed back into tests yet.

Jesse is best, at present, playing the short forms of the game only. To express himself at the top of the order, with a license to enjoy and enthral, is the best single purpose and uncomplicated role you could give him. He should stay focused in this mode right through to the World Cup, only 12 months away. This will be a significant stage for him to explore within, express himself, and explode in front of the world. Over the next year, at the top of the order, let Jesse flow, I say, let him flow.

...After a stint raising his game in the shorter forms, he will be ready to regain his Test place. It could be that Brendon McCullum may then be ready to just focus on the short forms himself, given his ageing and sore body. A rest from the demands of more travel and long days in the field during Tests may be a smart move. Jesse would easily step into that No. 5 slot with aplomb. By then Kane Williamson will be ready to be Test captain, and McCullum could extend his run to the end, wheeling in fast food feats to further his "brand". It could work as easily as that after the World Cup.
There's something to be said for a graduated approach to Ryder's return to the side imo. Returning to tests would be a large increase in the mental demands and pressure upon him, would represent full immersion back into the NZ setup, which he hasn't always responded well to that in the past - perhaps helps to be able to maintain a focus outside that team environment. However if Jesse and those who know him best think that he is ready to return now then the NZ selectors should include him.

Flem274*

123/5
squadz

BLACKCAPS Test squad for ANZ Test Series v India
Brendon McCullum (c) - Otago Volts
Corey Anderson - Northern Knights
Trent Boult - Northern Knights
Doug Bracewell - Central Stags
Peter Fulton - Canterbury Wizards
Hamish Rutherford - Otago Volts
Jesse Ryder - Otago Volts*
Ish Sodhi - Northern Knights
Tim Southee - Northern Knights
Ross Taylor - Central Stags
Neil Wagner - Otago Volts
BJ Watling - Northern Knights
Kane Williamson - Northern Knights

*Jesse Ryder will travel with the squad as cover for Ross Taylor, whose second child is due during the Test series.

Edgar says it’s a settled squad, but feels there are plenty of players knocking on the door.

“We’ve been really pleased with how this group of players has performed and they’ve been rewarded with consistent selection.

“There’s a lot of talented players in the wings, with the likes of Hamish Bennett, Jimmy Neesham, Tom Latham, Martin Guptill and Jesse Ryder all pushing hard to be involved. That brings out the best in players, and poses some hard questions for Mike and I.
unzud eleven also announced, and its more of a fringe FC eleven plus two test openers

Peter Fulton (c) – Canterbury Wizards
Roald Badenhorst – Central Stags
Jono Boult – Northern Knights
Anton Devcich – Northern Knights
Tipene Friday – Auckland Aces
Jono Hickey – Northern Knights
Shawn Hicks – NZ Under-19s
Iain McPeake – Northern Knights
Hamish Rutherford – Otago Volts
Tim Seifert (w) – NZ Under-19s
Ill Tugaga – Wellington Firebirds
Henry Walsh – Wellington Firebirds

Edgar believes the match is a great opportunity for all the New Zealand XI players.

“We’ve gone with a predominantly youthful side because we feel the experience will help their development.
“It’s not often you get to face India, so it’s a great chance for the players to test themselves against one of the world's leading sides.

“For Peter and Hamish, it will be a good chance to have a look at the Indian attack before the first Test,“ said Edgar.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Well that is a very conservative side with Fulton, Rutherford and Bracewell retained.

Ryder included specifically as cover for Taylor is hopefully a good way to ease him back in.

Flem274*

123/5
Fast bowling pecking order appears to be Southee, Boult, Wagner, Bracewell, Bennett. No love for Wheeler or Henry. IMO the latter two would be my like for like injury cover for Boult and Southee respectively. I know Wheeler is a bit bouncier and Henry isn't quite a Southee either but if one of the ND duo ever went down those two would be best for restoring balance to the attack.

Latham and Guptill appear to be the next cabs off the rank to open the batting which I think is fair. Redmond has been sent back into obscurity after doing his job for one test and who is that Wellington bloke again?

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, that's poor. I can only guess that Blocky was onto something and they're concerned about his ability to bowl long spells and maintain effectiveness.