• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in New Zealand 2013/14

smash84

The Tiger King
wow.....can't believe this....India were like 180 odd for six when I stopped following the match........amazing

Mike5181

International Captain
McClenaghan out for the next one?

Mills (or Neesham) to come in.
Mills in for McClenaghan, yeah. Mitch can go sit in a corner somewhere. The only good thing he did tonight was rightfully have a go at the umpire for that **** decision.

vandem

International 12th Man
.... Complaining about bad decisions would probably be whining, but that too I guess. Shoulda won this really.
Wrong decisions get made. But there is DRS in international cricket. To correct the obviously wrong decisions.

Except.

When

India

"Play".

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Just watching highlights of Guptill's boundaries - looked really impressive. WAG. Those pull shots are such a contrast to the early part of his career when he couldn't play it for **** too.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, Bennett bowled so well with the older ball tonight. Should be Southee, Mills and Bennett at the Tron.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Fairly hilarious that we can fully justify dropping the guy who could quite easily be the 2nd fastest ever to 50 ODI wickets.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I just get to watch the Jadeja MOTM interview now! Is this **** supposed to be live or has BCCI's gotten a court order to **** Sony like Cricinfo?

vandem

International 12th Man
Those "Wides" ....
NZ bowlers had to learn. IIRC about 4 wides were called when batsmen moved across their stumps and ball passed just outside their legs. You can't predict an occasional umpire mistake, but once you see their leg side wide interpretations it's up to you if you want to keep bowling across their pads and risking wides.

jonbrooks

International Debutant
Great game. Nz as always did it's best to lose. When Dhoni got it complacency set in and we paid the price. Eden park is a very hard ground to defend though.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Can't crib about much in such a tight game but the one thing that was decidedly dumb was Shami trying to hit everything out of the park.

Skyliner

International 12th Man
This is my first post. I was at the game tonight, and New Zealand were batted into an unbelievably good position by a superb partnership from Guptill and Williamson. Kane did the right thing; with so many wickets in hand he tried to up the ante, but unfortunately lost his wicket in the process. NZ made the right call and send in Anderson, which didn't come off this time. Then a bunch of headless chooks took the field. The skipper did his boundary or out stuff; didn't even look to get a couple of singles away and have a sighter. Then there was harum scarum running and mindless cricket until the close; Taylors running always worries me, tailenders looked to play all sorts of scoop type shots instead of normal cricket shots, and Ronchi shone briefly amongst the chaos before he too imploded. We somehow made 314 after looking like making 275, after earlier looking like making 350 odd.

Then to the Indian innings: Southee and Mitch got things off to an awful start, and India had all the early momentum, before principally Hamish Bennet and secondly Corey Anderson bowled with superb control to the Indian top order to wrest back control of the match for NZ. And Indian lost all momentum in their innings against such tight disciplined bowling. Kolhi's wicket was a body blow to India, and when Dhoni was out Indian supporters were seen to be leaving the stadium in droves. Through this period NMac bowled some cheap overs against conservative Indian batting as they couldn't afford to lose any more wickets....
....and then Mitch and Anderson (in one over at the start of the rot) started bowling complete garbage short balls, long hops and wides to lower order players, which Southee then continued. Against lower order players, the superb bowling became a bag of lichorice all-sorts, it was just weird. Because Bennett had bowled superbly from one end, McCullum puzzling switched him to the other, where he was notably less successful. Amongst the dross, Southee bowled one yorker, which the batsman pedictably couldn't do anything with, before maddeningly switching back to the garbage short balls, long hops and wides. As BMac was talking to the bowler before and after every delivery I can only presume he was saying "keep bowling the short stuff" and "yes, keep bowling the short stuff" : even though it wasn't working they kept bowling the rubbish, and they kept getting punished.

It was dumb, dumb, dumb cricket. It was terrible, terrible, terrible cricket. It was frustrating, infuriating and maddening to watch & to shout yourself hoarse calling for yorkers and tight bowling only to see the same failing plan get stuck with. NZ should never have drawn that game. They were in such a strong position that they just threw away. BMac just kept going with Mitch even though he was having a nightmare and had dropped his bundle. I would have backed Jesse to get through a couple of tight overs at some stage, but we had to stick to our dumb rigid 'plan'. AAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Last edited: