Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Cullinan has a go at Kallis

Tournaments Won: 1

Cullinan has a go at Kallis

Cullinan slams 'Kallis show' | Sport24

Coming from the all-knowledgeable in terms of stamping authority on the bowler...coughWARNEcough.

Seriously, the part where he says
    "One thing that was shared by a few bowlers that played against South Africa, is that they never felt that Kallis could hurt them, they felt they could bowl at him, that there were always more dangerous players around him."
    was so, so hilarious. I assume Cullinan was referring to himself, given he was one of the top batsmen that batted alongside Kallis.

Always respected him, as he always seemed quite knowledgeable and astute. But now he's a knob.
    @CowsCorner - 202 followers and counting!

Disclaimer: I am a biased South African. Anything I say is likely to have something in it that ultimately favours the Proteas.

Has a point.

International Regular OverratedSanity's Avatar
    I didn't like that he said his place among the true greats is in doubt... It really isn't at all.

However, I do think this statement:

"One thing that was shared by a few bowlers that played against South Africa, is that they never felt that Kallis could hurt them, they felt they could bowl at him, that there were always more dangerous players around him."
    is fair. It's his opinion. Fair enough.
    indiaholic likes this.
    Proud member of the Indian STFU: Sane Tendulkar Fanboy Union.
    Our motto: Sachin WAG, Don>>>Sachin

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    What I hate about ex players coming out and criticising retiring players is not that they have an opinion on it, it's that they make the comments at the time where everyone should be celebrating them. I understand that it's how the media works and if he made the comments in a month or so they'd be swept under the carpet because they're not as relevant, but it's just insensitive opportunistic cockery by Cullinan. It's **** that greats of the games have what should be a wonderful and reflective time of their lives marred by pot shots taken by people who have a platform.
    akilana, bagapath, Jono and 6 others like this.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Cut him some slack - the bloke's on his uppers

International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar
    If this came from someone I considered Kallis' equal or better, I'd find it interesting but still annoying. Coming from Cullinan it's a ****ing joke, and as an Australian supporter, coming from Cullinan, it's about the funniest ****ing thing ever.
    uvelocity and Shri like this.
    I shiver, thinking how easy it is to be totally wrong about people - to see one tiny part of them and confuse it for the whole, to see the cause and think its the effect or vice versa.

State Captain
    Bitter, bitter man.

Interesting to note Cullinan's strike rate in Tests is almost identical to Kallis'.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    would love to know who these few bowlers are
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Eds
    Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    If this came from someone I considered Kallis' equal or better, I'd find it interesting but still annoying. Coming from Cullinan it's a ****ing joke, and as an Australian supporter, coming from Cullinan, it's about the funniest ****ing thing ever.
    Not sure that a player having superior ability makes his opinion more valid. I think Bradman is testament to that not being the case.
    Last edited by Eds; 29-12-2013 at 02:09 PM.
    "If that Swann lad is the future of spin bowling in this country, then we're ****ed." - Nasser Hussain, 1997.

International Debutant salman85's Avatar
    Wasn't Cullinan drooling over Kallis a little while back?

Makes this even more surprising.

International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eds View Post
    Not sure that a player having superior ability makes his opinion more valid. I think Bradman is testament to that not being the case.
    Players of lesser ability can have opinions, but seriously, Cullinan'd wanna shut his mouth on this one. Because he sounds like a complete tosser.

International Vice-Captain Riggins's Avatar
    this is quality.
    The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

International Vice-Captain MW1304's Avatar
    Nah sorry, how good a player he was has **** all to do with anything.
    centurymaker likes this.

Have no issue with what he said, even if I disagree with some of it. My issue is when he said it, and the circumstances/discussion when it came up. I was watching Match Point on cricinfo at the time and found it surprising he said what he said.

Completely agree with Benchy that the timing is poor. I think he could have stopped when he said this:

"Sadly the match has degenerated into a Kallis show," Cullinan said.

"He was a great cricketer let us give him that, but take a step back from that, there is a Test match on the go and there is a series to win and I don't get the impression South Africa are interested in that."

This was sort of a fair opinion, or at least one not unreasonable. There were times where they weren't taking the initiative when they should have. Kallis wasn't doing it, neither were some of their other batsmen. That's a fair opinion. What was not exactly relevant as part of the discussion was where Kallis ranks in the greats, and why he isn't as good as Tendulkar or Lara or Ponting or Viv etc. Save that for after his retirement.
    Last edited by Jono; 29-12-2013 at 07:13 PM.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Players of lesser ability can have opinions, but seriously, Cullinan'd wanna shut his mouth on this one. Because he sounds like a complete tosser.
    I don't think that was in any doubt before he said this.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information