• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cullinan has a go at Kallis

MrPrez

International Debutant
Cullinan slams 'Kallis show' | Sport24

Coming from the all-knowledgeable in terms of stamping authority on the bowler...coughWARNEcough.

Seriously, the part where he says
"One thing that was shared by a few bowlers that played against South Africa, is that they never felt that Kallis could hurt them, they felt they could bowl at him, that there were always more dangerous players around him."
was so, so hilarious. I assume Cullinan was referring to himself, given he was one of the top batsmen that batted alongside Kallis.

Always respected him, as he always seemed quite knowledgeable and astute. But now he's a knob.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I didn't like that he said his place among the true greats is in doubt... It really isn't at all.

However, I do think this statement:

"One thing that was shared by a few bowlers that played against South Africa, is that they never felt that Kallis could hurt them, they felt they could bowl at him, that there were always more dangerous players around him."
is fair. It's his opinion. Fair enough.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What I hate about ex players coming out and criticising retiring players is not that they have an opinion on it, it's that they make the comments at the time where everyone should be celebrating them. I understand that it's how the media works and if he made the comments in a month or so they'd be swept under the carpet because they're not as relevant, but it's just insensitive opportunistic ****ery by Cullinan. It's **** that greats of the games have what should be a wonderful and reflective time of their lives marred by pot shots taken by people who have a platform.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
If this came from someone I considered Kallis' equal or better, I'd find it interesting but still annoying. Coming from Cullinan it's a ****ing joke, and as an Australian supporter, coming from Cullinan, it's about the funniest ****ing thing ever.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Bitter, bitter man.

Interesting to note Cullinan's strike rate in Tests is almost identical to Kallis'.

Eds

International Debutant
If this came from someone I considered Kallis' equal or better, I'd find it interesting but still annoying. Coming from Cullinan it's a ****ing joke, and as an Australian supporter, coming from Cullinan, it's about the funniest ****ing thing ever.
Not sure that a player having superior ability makes his opinion more valid. I think Bradman is testament to that not being the case.

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Not sure that a player having superior ability makes his opinion more valid. I think Bradman is testament to that not being the case.
Players of lesser ability can have opinions, but seriously, Cullinan'd wanna shut his mouth on this one. Because he sounds like a complete tosser.

Riggins

International Captain
this is quality.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Have no issue with what he said, even if I disagree with some of it. My issue is when he said it, and the circumstances/discussion when it came up. I was watching Match Point on cricinfo at the time and found it surprising he said what he said.

Completely agree with Benchy that the timing is poor. I think he could have stopped when he said this:

"Sadly the match has degenerated into a Kallis show," Cullinan said.

"He was a great cricketer let us give him that, but take a step back from that, there is a Test match on the go and there is a series to win and I don't get the impression South Africa are interested in that."

This was sort of a fair opinion, or at least one not unreasonable. There were times where they weren't taking the initiative when they should have. Kallis wasn't doing it, neither were some of their other batsmen. That's a fair opinion. What was not exactly relevant as part of the discussion was where Kallis ranks in the greats, and why he isn't as good as Tendulkar or Lara or Ponting or Viv etc. Save that for after his retirement.

Last edited:

MrPrez

International Debutant
Yup I posted about this elsewhere and actually agreed that the first bit is slightly understandable, if incredibly inappropriate. But the part where he slates Kallis' credentials absolutely floored me. Just makes him look like he's holding a grudge against Kallis for being the star of SA's 00's show, when Cullinan had been backed to be a huge thing for us.

KungFu_Kallis

International 12th Man
I grew up in Cape Town and Cullinan used to be in the papers even in his 20's for disciplinary problems and squabbles with team mates at Western Province. Has an ego almost KP like. He finally packed up and moved to Transvaal.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Again, I think what Cullinan said was (a) inappropriate, and (b) incorrect. However regarding "you have to be a very good cricketer to have an opinion of a great cricketer" schtick, I strongly disagree with that view. But even if that view is correct - Cullinan was a ****ing good cricketer and gun batsman ffs. Sure he sucked against Australia, but this isn't bloody Mark Ramprakash or something questioning Kallis' legacy (even though I think he, like anyone else, has the right to), Cullinan was a good cricketer.

Does he hold a candle to Kallis? No. Does he need to to state his view? No. But IF you do need to be a good cricketer to qualify commenting, Cullinan meets that criteria.

Last edited: