• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cardus, Thomson and Gaukrodger

neville cardus

International Debutant
"I regarded him (or rather his name—which amounted to the same thing) with open derision. 'Gaukrodger!' I would murmur. And to this present time I have remained unshaken in the view that 'Gaukrodger' was a heathenish name for a cricketer; I am glad he never played for England." -- "The Essential Neville Cardus," p. 83

"...Gaukrodger of Worcestershire, whose odd name was a godsend for contemporary (and rather simple-minded) humorists." -- AA Thomson, "Cricket My Happiness," p. 106

Am I reading too much into this when I take it for evidence of the possibility that my favourite two cricket writers weren't chummy?

Last edited:

chasingthedon

International Regular
"I regarded him (or rather his name—which amounted to the same thing) with open derision. 'Gaukrodger!' I would murmur. And to this present time I have remained unshaken in the view that 'Gaukrodger' was a heathenish name for a cricketer; I am glad he never played for England." -- "The Essential Neville Cardus," p. 83

"...Gaukrodger of Worcestershire, whose odd name was a godsend for contemporary (and rather simple-minded) humorists." -- AA Thomson, "Cricket My Happiness," p. 106

Am I reading too much into this when I take it for evidence of the possibility that my favourite two cricket writers weren't chummy?
If we could find out how each felt about that Arlott favourite, Cunis, we might know for sure.