Cricket Player Manager
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Beamer
  • 1 Post By Shri

Thread: Whats wrong with Best and Edwards?

Whats wrong with Best and Edwards?

Both of them are very passionate about their game, give 100 percent all the time, have a very high fitness level, can bowl 140+, good bouncers, adequate swing. Then why haven't these guys done that well?
    Need better guidance/mentoring?
    Is this your homework Larry?

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    I didn't like Burgey's answer so I am replying in this thread. Mods please don't merge the threads.

I believe that Best is a good bowler but did not get that much swing on the NZ tour nor did he get pronounced seam movement.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Like all West Indian quicks their real problem is that the grim reaper took Maco too soon, if he was still around to coach them the West Indies wouldn't be looking in the direction of spinners with questionable actions to bowl teams out

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    As much as I agree, that doesn'tg explain why Robers and Holding don't mentor the youngsters like they mentored Maco or like how Maco mentored Ambrose and Walsh.

I believe Ambrose is now working at our performance center but that took way too long to happen IMHO.
    Last edited by kyear2; 28-12-2013 at 08:18 AM.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Cameron+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    From what I've read I get the impression that only Marshall of the great West Indies pacemen had it in him to coach well, or indeed the inclination to do so

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    And of course we know the impact he had on Ambrose and co and especially in South Africa.

Tino Best is passionate and gives 100% all the time, I agree. He is also one of the Worlds quickest bowlers, no doubt about it. However, he has never learned to swing the ball other than slightly into the right handers with the new ball. Otherwise it is gun barrel straight. His length is almost always too short. He has only improved slightly in all his years playing Tests and ODIs. He has also spent time with Yorkshire in county cricket and had a lot of time with Wayne Daniel. At the end of the day, the individual has to want to improve and be willing to change certain things if he needs to and Tino clearly isn't willing to do that.

Fidel Edwards has been a decent bowler considering the lack of support he had for much of his career. He was a bit hot and cold, either taking 5 wicket hauls or getting spanked, there wasn't much middle ground. At one point he was absolutely fearsome, regularly clocking between 150 and 155kph and even made it up to 157kph at one point. He does swing the ball too. However, he has lost a lot of pace over the last 18 months after another back injury and is no longer the same bowler. With his style of bowling, the pace was very important and without it he just isn't effective. He would have still been better than Best, Gabriel and Sammy, obviously, but we should be aiming higher than that!

As for the greats coaching our youngsters, I believe some of them are still having an impact. Obviously losing Maco was a huge blow and we have been robbed of so much knowledge and skill, but I know Curtly has been working very closely with Jason Holder over the last year and we have seen some very real improvements and elements of his relentless line and length have started to appear in Jason's game.
    Last edited by Beamer; 28-12-2013 at 08:07 AM.
    karan316 and OverratedSanity like this.

Quote Originally Posted by karan316 View Post
    Both of them are very passionate about their game, give 100 percent all the time, have a very high fitness level, can bowl 140+, good bouncers, adequate swing. Then why haven't these guys done that well?
    Need better guidance/mentoring?
    Too short IMO. Both between 5 feet 4 inches to 8 inches..

Quote Originally Posted by indiaholic View Post
    Too short IMO. Both between 5 feet 4 inches to 8 inches..
    The same can be said about agarkar, but that didn't stop him from becoming a legend.

They are just not very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Beamer View Post
    Tino Best is passionate and gives 100% all the time, I agree. He is also one of the Worlds quickest bowlers, no doubt about it. However, he has never learned to swing the ball other than slightly into the right handers with the new ball. Otherwise it is gun barrel straight. His length is almost always too short. He has only improved slightly in all his years playing Tests and ODIs. He has also spent time with Yorkshire in county cricket and had a lot of time with Wayne Daniel. At the end of the day, the individual has to want to improve and be willing to change certain things if he needs to and Tino clearly isn't willing to do that.

Fidel Edwards has been a decent bowler considering the lack of support he had for much of his career. He was a bit hot and cold, either taking 5 wicket hauls or getting spanked, there wasn't much middle ground. At one point he was absolutely fearsome, regularly clocking between 150 and 155kph and even made it up to 157kph at one point. He does swing the ball too. However, he has lost a lot of pace over the last 18 months after another back injury and is no longer the same bowler. With his style of bowling, the pace was very important and without it he just isn't effective. He would have still been better than Best, Gabriel and Sammy, obviously, but we should be aiming higher than that!

As for the greats coaching our youngsters, I believe some of them are still having an impact. Obviously losing Maco was a huge blow and we have been robbed of so much knowledge and skill, but I know Curtly has been working very closely with Jason Holder over the last year and we have seen some very real improvements and elements of his relentless line and length have started to appear in Jason's game.
    Tino does overuse the shorter deliveries. It becomes pretty predictable, I think he just needs to create a better angle like Roach does and bowl a normal line and length rather than looking to go short every now and then.

And haven't seen much of Edwards lately, m sure he might be bowling at least 140k+. His action allows him to generate a good amount of reverse swing, hoping for him to make a comeback to the test side soon.

Thread Information