Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Graeme Swann Appreciation Thread

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar

Graeme Swann Appreciation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Furball View Post
    Graeme Swann

Completing the XI and my spin bowling attack is Graeme Swann. In an era of mystery spinners/baseball pitchers, it’s refreshing to see that the best exponent of the art of spin bowling is an orthodox offie. Like the latter-career Warne, Swann’s box of tricks is fairly limited; there’s the off-break, the big turning off-break and the “lol, you thought that was turning, guess what, you’re lbw” straight ball. The latter has proven particularly effective to left handers of all nationalities. Swann’s hold over Australia’s left handers is approaching Warne over England levels, and he averages something stupid like 5 against Pakistan’s left handers. Ok, right-handers get a slightly easier ride against Swann, but he’s not perfect. If he was, he’d be...Shane Warne.

What makes Swann great is that he’s great value on and off the field. On it, he’s a demon off-spinner (as already discussed), a nuisance batsman (although I will always maintain he’s underachieved as a batsman, although I’m perhaps judging him by his ICC 2005 career) and a good slipper. He’s a brilliant all-round cricketer to have in your side. Not only that, but he’s great in the dressing room and in the media, as his Ashes Diaries from 2010/11 will attest to. And in the media he’s about the only bloke in the game currently who successfully manages to not be a slick, well drilled in PR, cliché-spouting clone, without going too far the other way and coming off as a complete ****. That takes talent.

Why else does Swann get in this team? Well, the highest compliment I can pay him is that he’s probably the closest thing cricket has to a replacement for Shane Warne. No-one will ever replace Warne as a cricketer, but there’s a lot of similarities between the two in what they bring to a side (bowling, batting and slip catching) and just as every Warne delivery was an event, Swann is one of the few cricketers who carries that “oooh, better keep watching, something’s going to happen” aura around him – at least he does when there’s a leftie at the crease. Like I said, nobody’s perfect. Maybe he’s the poor man’s Warne...but I’ll quite happily take that.
    Stand by every word I said. Greatest post-Warne spinner, and will be a huge miss for England.

Agreed.

By far the best England spinner I've seen. Made me realise what we'd been missing out on

I bet you'd have to go back to Laker to find a better one for us.
    World XI Since 1990 -

1. Gooch 2. Dravid 3. Ponting 4. Tendulkar 5. Lara 6. Kallis 7. Gilchrist 8. Akram 9. Warne 10. Ambrose 11. McGrath

Quote Originally Posted by Furball View Post
    Stand by every word I said. Greatest post-Warne spinner, and will be a huge miss for England.
    Ajmal is the best since Warne. Swann was marginally worse but still pretty ****ing great.

U19 Cricketer
    Greatest post-Warne spinner is pushing it. Even if we don't count Kumble, surely Saqlain, Harbhajan, Ajmal are there or thereabouts. Great bloke Swanny, nothing against him. Just not the best post-Warne spinner.

Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromLancs View Post
    Agreed.

By far the best England spinner I've seen. Made me realise what we'd been missing out on

I bet you'd have to go back to Laker to find a better one for us.
    Underwood??
    ankitj likes this.
    Cause Slifer said so.........!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shri View Post
    Ajmal is the best since Warne. Swann was marginally worse but still pretty ****ing great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jassy View Post
    Greatest post-Warne spinner is pushing it. Even if we don't count Kumble, surely Saqlain, Harbhajan, Ajmal are there or thereabouts. Great bloke Swanny, nothing against him. Just not the best post-Warne spinner.
    Herath people, Herath
    There are two colours in my head

Quote Originally Posted by Slifer View Post
    Underwood??
    Yeah. Imagine what Swann could do on drenched wickets

Imagine what Underwood could do if they gave LBWs like they do nowadays.

Almost totally different bowling conditions for spinners nowadays, hard to judge.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jassy View Post
    You're aware that Saqlain's career finished before Warne's, aren't you?

International Debutant WindieWeathers's Avatar
    Yes big respect to Swanny!!...really was a joy watching him in full stride...and to do it with "no frills" so to speak just personifies how good the man was. He beat you mentally a lot of the time..and that's what made him so dangerous.

If our own Narine goes on to have a similar career to Swanny i'd be delighted.
    One Day cups- Champions trophy winners-T20 cup-29 test series without defeat record- and some think we're a "minnow".

Love Swanny. Will miss him. So good to have an attacking finger spinner in this era.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximas View Post
    Herath people, Herath
    Your love for Herath is one of the most underrated things on this forum
    Maximas likes this.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Breakout Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shri View Post
    This. Except I'd be reluctant to use the word "great" to describe Swann. Has some pretty big connotations that I'm not sure Swann quite meets. My word of choice would be "excellent".

Quote Originally Posted by steds View Post
    This. Except I'd be reluctant to use the word "great" to describe Swann. Has some pretty big connotations that I'm not sure Swann quite meets. My word of choice would be "excellent".
    Depends on the words that accompanies the word "great". I was just casually calling him great, not seriously saying that he was one of the greats.

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    I should be president of this itbt

edit: if this were a society and not just a thread.

GSAS now established ftr.
    Last edited by NZTailender; 26-12-2013 at 10:03 PM.
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, T Latham, N Broom, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, M Henry, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

International Regular OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximas View Post
    Herath people, Herath
    I demand a Herath appreciation thread
    Proud member of the Indian STFU: Sane Tendulkar Fanboy Union.
    Our motto: Sachin WAG, Don>>>Sachin

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information