• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Graeme Swann Appreciation Thread

ImpatientLime

International Regular
Why does the fact that he was physically struggling to compete because of his elbow get glossed over by the detractors?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Not a great surprise to see him go straight into media work, joining TMS for the West Indies tour. Could very much go either way, think he could be very good if he wanted to be, or he could just be ridiculously anoying.
Can see him being a more annoying (or at least annoying for different reasons) version of Mark Nicholas. Has plenty of strong knowledge and interesting points to make, but this is sadly offset by the fact that as an individual he can be pretty insufferable.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Why does the fact that he was physically struggling to compete because of his elbow get glossed over by the detractors?
Hey I'm not glossing over it at all. I totally get that due to his physical struggles he was more than likely not going to play in Melbourne and Sydney.......but I don't get or accept that the timing of his retirement was good from a team POV.

He should have stayed with the team to the end.......playing or not. Anything else is just piss weak IMO.

As has been pointed out numerous times in this thread, look at what Matt Prior did after being dropped. He stayed and worked with Bairstow and to do everything he possibly could to help out. Prior stood tall in the face of adversity, Swann packed his bags and ****ed off home and left others to deal with the mess.

But hell what would I know.......clearly I'm in the "idot" camp according to Furball.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
As has been pointed out numerous times in this thread, look at what Matt Prior did after being dropped. He stayed and worked with Bairstow and to do everything he possibly could to help out. Prior stood tall in the face of adversity, Swann packed his bags and ****ed off home and left others to deal with the mess.

But hell what would I know.......clearly I'm in the "idot" camp according to Furball.
Prior is trying to regain his place in the side, Swann isn't. A pretty important difference if you're comparing their behaviour.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Prior is trying to regain his place in the side, Swann isn't. A pretty important difference if you're comparing their behaviour.
So once you are done with a team then it is OK if your attitude is just "**** em"??

The circus that surrounded Swanns retirement was a disaster for an already destroyed England side.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can see him being a more annoying (or at least annoying for different reasons) version of Mark Nicholas. Has plenty of strong knowledge and interesting points to make, but this is sadly offset by the fact that as an individual he can be pretty insufferable.
I know not everyone is a fan but I quite like him actually but can very easily see him becoming anoying, more in a Bumble wau than a Nicholas one though. Got hopes he could be good though.

paulted

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I think maybe he's going to try to go down the Tufnell route-"Hey I'm wacky and a bit of a lad", but media wise he'll have to be careful about what he perceives as humorous. The comment he made about rape was crass and insensitive. He's about to join the TMS team which I think has taken a drop in quality, particularly with some of the latest influx. Charlie Dagnall is particularly banal.

Spark

Global Moderator
Did anyone hear him commentate last night? Heard on twitter that he was surprisingly good.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Heard some of it and he seemed reasonable.

One nigh that he did mention was that when he told Flower he was returning, Flower's reaction was that he had to go home. Swann said he'd have liked nothing more than to stay with the squad and help the younger spinners for the final 2 Tests but wasn't allowed to.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year

One nigh that he did mention was that when he told Flower he was returning, Flower's reaction was that he had to go home. Swann said he'd have liked nothing more than to stay with the squad and help the younger spinners for the final 2 Tests but wasn't allowed to.
If that is true, then I need to re-evaluate my opinion......has Swann said that on record??

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
It was in the break between innings on TMS yesterday. Haven't a clue if it can be found online to listen too again.

stumpski

International Captain

Yeah, he mentioned that again on the Q & A session on TMS just now. Kind of answers the detractors who said he should have stuck it out. Even after announcing his retirement he should have been allowed to stay on the tour if that was what he wanted.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, he mentioned that again on the Q & A session on TMS just now. Kind of answers the detractors who said he should have stuck it out. Even after announcing his retirement he should have been allowed to stay on the tour if that was what he wanted.
I've been one of them, and this revelation has certainly made me reconsider my opinion..........really poor from Flower if true.