Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Graeme Swann Appreciation Thread

Why does the fact that he was physically struggling to compete because of his elbow get glossed over by the detractors?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ImpatientLime View Post
    Why does the fact that he was physically struggling to compete because of his elbow get glossed over by the detractors?
    Because they're idiots.

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    Not a great surprise to see him go straight into media work, joining TMS for the West Indies tour. Could very much go either way, think he could be very good if he wanted to be, or he could just be ridiculously anoying.
    Can see him being a more annoying (or at least annoying for different reasons) version of Mark Nicholas. Has plenty of strong knowledge and interesting points to make, but this is sadly offset by the fact that as an individual he can be pretty insufferable.

Quote Originally Posted by ImpatientLime View Post
    Hey I'm not glossing over it at all. I totally get that due to his physical struggles he was more than likely not going to play in Melbourne and Sydney.......but I don't get or accept that the timing of his retirement was good from a team POV.

He should have stayed with the team to the end.......playing or not. Anything else is just piss weak IMO.

As has been pointed out numerous times in this thread, look at what Matt Prior did after being dropped. He stayed and worked with Bairstow and to do everything he possibly could to help out. Prior stood tall in the face of adversity, Swann packed his bags and ****ed off home and left others to deal with the mess.

But hell what would I know.......clearly I'm in the "idot" camp according to Furball.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adders View Post
    As has been pointed out numerous times in this thread, look at what Matt Prior did after being dropped. He stayed and worked with Bairstow and to do everything he possibly could to help out. Prior stood tall in the face of adversity, Swann packed his bags and ****ed off home and left others to deal with the mess.

But hell what would I know.......clearly I'm in the "idot" camp according to Furball.
    Prior is trying to regain his place in the side, Swann isn't. A pretty important difference if you're comparing their behaviour.

Quote Originally Posted by Furball View Post
    Prior is trying to regain his place in the side, Swann isn't. A pretty important difference if you're comparing their behaviour.
    So once you are done with a team then it is OK if your attitude is just "**** em"??

The circus that surrounded Swanns retirement was a disaster for an already destroyed England side.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Can see him being a more annoying (or at least annoying for different reasons) version of Mark Nicholas. Has plenty of strong knowledge and interesting points to make, but this is sadly offset by the fact that as an individual he can be pretty insufferable.
    I know not everyone is a fan but I quite like him actually but can very easily see him becoming anoying, more in a Bumble wau than a Nicholas one though. Got hopes he could be good though.
    Jono likes this.

I think maybe he's going to try to go down the Tufnell route-"Hey I'm wacky and a bit of a lad", but media wise he'll have to be careful about what he perceives as humorous. The comment he made about rape was crass and insensitive. He's about to join the TMS team which I think has taken a drop in quality, particularly with some of the latest influx. Charlie Dagnall is particularly banal.

Did anyone hear him commentate last night? Heard on twitter that he was surprisingly good.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Heard some of it and he seemed reasonable.

One nigh that he did mention was that when he told Flower he was returning, Flower's reaction was that he had to go home. Swann said he'd have liked nothing more than to stay with the squad and help the younger spinners for the final 2 Tests but wasn't allowed to.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post

One nigh that he did mention was that when he told Flower he was returning, Flower's reaction was that he had to go home. Swann said he'd have liked nothing more than to stay with the squad and help the younger spinners for the final 2 Tests but wasn't allowed to.
    If that is true, then I need to re-evaluate my opinion......has Swann said that on record??

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    It was in the break between innings on TMS yesterday. Haven't a clue if it can be found online to listen too again.

Cricket Web Staff Member stumpski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post

Yeah, he mentioned that again on the Q & A session on TMS just now. Kind of answers the detractors who said he should have stuck it out. Even after announcing his retirement he should have been allowed to stay on the tour if that was what he wanted.

Eds
    Quote Originally Posted by paulted View Post
    I think maybe he's going to try to go down the Tufnell route-"Hey I'm wacky and a bit of a lad".
    Or perhaps, god forbid, that's his actual personality and not an act?
    "If that Swann lad is the future of spin bowling in this country, then we're ****ed." - Nasser Hussain, 1997.

Quote Originally Posted by stumpski View Post
    Yeah, he mentioned that again on the Q & A session on TMS just now. Kind of answers the detractors who said he should have stuck it out. Even after announcing his retirement he should have been allowed to stay on the tour if that was what he wanted.
    I've been one of them, and this revelation has certainly made me reconsider my opinion..........really poor from Flower if true.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information