• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Graeme Swann Appreciation Thread

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Graeme Swann

Completing the XI and my spin bowling attack is Graeme Swann. In an era of mystery spinners/baseball pitchers, it’s refreshing to see that the best exponent of the art of spin bowling is an orthodox offie. Like the latter-career Warne, Swann’s box of tricks is fairly limited; there’s the off-break, the big turning off-break and the “lol, you thought that was turning, guess what, you’re lbw” straight ball. The latter has proven particularly effective to left handers of all nationalities. Swann’s hold over Australia’s left handers is approaching Warne over England levels, and he averages something stupid like 5 against Pakistan’s left handers. Ok, right-handers get a slightly easier ride against Swann, but he’s not perfect. If he was, he’d be...Shane Warne.

What makes Swann great is that he’s great value on and off the field. On it, he’s a demon off-spinner (as already discussed), a nuisance batsman (although I will always maintain he’s underachieved as a batsman, although I’m perhaps judging him by his ICC 2005 career) and a good slipper. He’s a brilliant all-round cricketer to have in your side. Not only that, but he’s great in the dressing room and in the media, as his Ashes Diaries from 2010/11 will attest to. And in the media he’s about the only bloke in the game currently who successfully manages to not be a slick, well drilled in PR, cliché-spouting clone, without going too far the other way and coming off as a complete ****. That takes talent.

Why else does Swann get in this team? Well, the highest compliment I can pay him is that he’s probably the closest thing cricket has to a replacement for Shane Warne. No-one will ever replace Warne as a cricketer, but there’s a lot of similarities between the two in what they bring to a side (bowling, batting and slip catching) and just as every Warne delivery was an event, Swann is one of the few cricketers who carries that “oooh, better keep watching, something’s going to happen” aura around him – at least he does when there’s a leftie at the crease. Like I said, nobody’s perfect. Maybe he’s the poor man’s Warne...but I’ll quite happily take that.
Stand by every word I said. Greatest post-Warne spinner, and will be a huge miss for England.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Agreed.

By far the best England spinner I've seen. Made me realise what we'd been missing out on

I bet you'd have to go back to Laker to find a better one for us.

Jassy

Banned
Greatest post-Warne spinner is pushing it. Even if we don't count Kumble, surely Saqlain, Harbhajan, Ajmal are there or thereabouts. Great bloke Swanny, nothing against him. Just not the best post-Warne spinner.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Ajmal is the best since Warne. Swann was marginally worse but still pretty ****ing great.
Greatest post-Warne spinner is pushing it. Even if we don't count Kumble, surely Saqlain, Harbhajan, Ajmal are there or thereabouts. Great bloke Swanny, nothing against him. Just not the best post-Warne spinner.
Herath people, Herath

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Imagine what Underwood could do if they gave LBWs like they do nowadays.

Almost totally different bowling conditions for spinners nowadays, hard to judge.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
You're aware that Saqlain's career finished before Warne's, aren't you?

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Yes big respect to Swanny!!...really was a joy watching him in full stride...and to do it with "no frills" so to speak just personifies how good the man was. He beat you mentally a lot of the time..and that's what made him so dangerous.

If our own Narine goes on to have a similar career to Swanny i'd be delighted.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Ajmal is the best since Warne. Swann was marginally worse but still pretty ****ing great.
This. Except I'd be reluctant to use the word "great" to describe Swann. Has some pretty big connotations that I'm not sure Swann quite meets. My word of choice would be "excellent".

Shri

Mr. Glass
This. Except I'd be reluctant to use the word "great" to describe Swann. Has some pretty big connotations that I'm not sure Swann quite meets. My word of choice would be "excellent".
Depends on the words that accompanies the word "great". I was just casually calling him great, not seriously saying that he was one of the greats.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I should be president of this itbt

edit: if this were a society and not just a thread.

GSAS now established ftr.

Last edited:

Jassy

Banned
You're aware that Saqlain's career finished before Warne's, aren't you?
I am sorry, I took post-Warne to mean something else. Still, I'm sure Ajmal and Harbhajan will have something to say about that. If post Warne means careers that finished after his then there's some bloke who picked up 800 test wickets....