I demand a Herath sub-forum
    Nate and Unomaas like this.
    There are two colours in my head

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Murali played on after Warne FFS.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Very good player. Did much better than I expected him to do in India, which brought him up in my estimation.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Breakout Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Murali played on after Warne FFS.
    I wouldn't say he was a post-Warne player though. Was more of a contemporary. Anyway, getting off topic. Swann was class

U19 Cricketer
    Quote Originally Posted by Furball View Post
    You're aware that Saqlain's career finished before Warne's, aren't you?
    I am sorry, I took post-Warne to mean something else. Still, I'm sure Ajmal and Harbhajan will have something to say about that. If post Warne means careers that finished after his then there's some bloke who picked up 800 test wickets....

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Jassy View Post
    I am sorry, I took post-Warne to mean something else. Still, I'm sure Ajmal and Harbhajan will have something to say about that. If post Warne means careers that finished after his then there's some bloke who picked up 800 test wickets....
    ATG World XI
    1. J.B Hobbs 2. H. Sutcliffe 3. D.G Bradman 4. W.R Hammond 5. G.S Sobers 6. M.J Procter 7. A.C Gilchrist 8. M.D Marshall 9. S.K Warne 10. M. Muralitharan 11. G.D McGrath

U19 Cricketer
    I dunno if he is necessarily better but it certainly is no laughing matter. There is a case. 400+ wickets at an average similar to Swann's, had an epic series against the greatest side to step foot on the planet whilst Swann came nowhere close to doing that against far weaker Aussie sides(outbowled by Hauritz and Lyon!). Not a watertight case in Harbhajan's favour but whoever thinks it's clear-cut is deluded.
    Rangana Herath : World's best spinner.
    Pakistan last series win : January 2012
    Pakistan last overseas series win : January 2011

Quote Originally Posted by NZTailender View Post
    I should be president of this itbt

edit: if this were a society and not just a thread.

GSAS now established ftr.
    Set one up many years ago man

I dunno if he is necessarily better but it certainly is no laughing matter. There is a case. 400+ wickets at an average similar to Swann's, had an epic series against the greatest side to step foot on the planet whilst Swann came nowhere close to doing that against far weaker Aussie sides(outbowled by Hauritz and Lyon!). Not a watertight case in Harbhajan's favour but whoever thinks it's clear-cut is deluded.
    Sorry but I think that the only thing SIngh has on Swann is total number of wickets, otherwise Swann is clearly a superior spinner to Harbhajan. Singh is nothing outside of India whereas Swann was effective in most places (particularly in India)
    Cause Slifer said so.........!!!!

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Are you aware of what post-Warne means?

It means receiving a warning from mods for making a rude post on CW. Particularly if you call Sledger a dickhead
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcuss View Post
    Set one up many years ago man
    Worst bloke
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, T Latham, N Broom, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, M Henry, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

Weak effort Joni.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    One aspect of his career where Swann might look back on with a bit of regret is his batting. I don't think he really did himself justice, should never have been batting below Broad.

International Debutant Salamuddin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slifer View Post
    Sorry but I think that the only thing SIngh has on Swann is total number of wickets, otherwise Swann is clearly a superior spinner to Harbhajan. Singh is nothing outside of India whereas Swann was effective in most places (particularly in India)
    To say harbhajan was nothing outside India is a bit silly. He played key roles in India's series wins in the West Indies in 2006, New Zealand in 2009 and their series draw in South Africa in 2010.
    Obviously he was a better at home but that,s only to be expected given the nature of Indian wickets relative to those of other countries.

Harbhajan was probably the better bowler against the better batting lineups. Swan for all his lofty status doesn't average under 30 against any of Australia, South Africa or India. Even his strong last series against India came against an Indian side sans laxman and Dravid and where Sehwag and tendulkar were clearly on he wane. Harby averaged under 30 against Australia and South Africa and there's no doubt he faced far better Aussie batting lineups than swann did.

Harbhajan also played 40 tests more than swann - that is a pretty significant difference that also needs to be factored in if you're looking at overall stats. Swans career trajectory certainly suggests his numbers would have worsened had he played more tests.

I don't think swann is that much superior to harbhajan if at all - certainly think you can mount a case for harbhajan being the better bowler. Truth is Harbhajan is actually seriously underrated as a test match bowler - 400 test wickets for a finger spinner in the covered wickets era is no joke.
    Last edited by Salamuddin; 01-01-2014 at 03:41 PM.
    Zinedine Zidane is the greatest footballer ever !

Richard Dickinson - you little beauty !!!!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information