• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Future England spinners

lockton2skipper

U19 Debutant
with graham swann now retired who is likely to emerge from county cricket and replace him, obviously monte is now number one but who else is in the reckoning, kerrigan failed miserably in his test debut and has a horrible action, then there is tredders borthwick and samit patel, not going to keep test batsman awake at night.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
I'm getting sick of this talk about Kerrigan. He had one really, really, really, really bad day. But that's all it was (up to this point). If you judged everybody in the world on the worst day of their professional lives, everyone would be ****ing useless at their jobs.
Secondly, what's horrible about his action? Doesn't use his front arm much, but I can't see much wrong with it other than that.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Never ceases to surprise me how intelligent and knowledgable people seem to lose sight of the fact that there is a reason why Kegga was handed his Test debut last summer, and that it wasn't because he is a **** bowler - I wonder what those folk reckoned to Shane Warne after his stats were 4-386 after four Tests?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I initially reading the title of the thread as "Fecking England Spinners", with the "fecking" spelled with a "u", which pretty much seems to sum it up.

I really can't see Kerrigan ever getting another go, a bad day at the office it may've been but it was a "turning up wankered, throwing up in the wastepaper bin, making a pass at one's boss's teenage daughter and then soiling oneself" sort of one. Plus he doesn' bat.

Borthwick is apparently well thought of, but I suspect that's more because of his batting. I think the turnaround in England's fortunes in India when Sammy was replaced with Monty shows the virtue of picking a slow bowler on his slow bowling rather than his package (ooer, missus, etc).

lockton2skipper

U19 Debutant
lack of front arm, not enough fluency through his action, not side on enough and a performance to rival ian salisbury at his worst.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Never ceases to surprise me how intelligent and knowledgable people seem to lose sight of the fact that there is a reason why Kegga was handed his Test debut last summer, and that it wasn't because he is a **** bowler - I wonder what those folk reckoned to Shane Warne after his stats were 4-386 after four Tests?
Yeah I agree with this. I know he bowled poorly, but it was eight overs only and just the one batsman, Watson who punished him. I hope he gets another game. One thing I just noticed, looking at his record, he took 7/145 and reached his highest score 62* in the first class match immediately following the Test, the kid has character.

91Jmay

International Coach
Monty should be competent for a couple more years, take wickets at around 33-35s which isn't to terrible. Borthwick, Briggs and Ravi Patel the youngsters none of which are particularly amazing but again one of them should be able to take wickets at mid 30s and if its Borthwick you are also getting a very good lower order batsmen to boot.

91Jmay

International Coach
Jack Leach? Not seen anything of him but nothing about his F.C record screams Test player to be honest.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I really can't see Kerrigan ever getting another go, a bad day at the office it may've been but it was a "turning up wankered, throwing up in the wastepaper bin, making a pass at one's boss's teenage daughter and then soiling oneself" sort of one. Plus he doesn' bat.
I think this is pretty much spot on. Happened with Bryce McGain, who although wasn't all that good to start off with, wasn't that bad either. It's not like these guys forget how to play, it's just that the spectacle of their failure sticks in the mind for so long.

It wasn't that Kerrigan was getting smashed, he was bowling long hop after full toss ball after ball, and as a finger spinner it's just unforgivable.

I think eventually some other 'non wow factor' left arm orthodox will come into the English team and bowl the usual over the wicket stuff and keep it tight and get the odd wicket while the pace bowlers are allowed to do the job and chime in with the odd 40-50 with the bat like a lot of teams are building their attacks around. It's a blight on the sport but that's the age we live in.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Jack Leach? Not seen anything of him but nothing about his F.C record screams Test player to be honest.
It's more me throwing in a random Somerset player TBH. TBF when he played against Warwickshire he did look quite good, actually tossed it up and tried to beat batsmen inflight and spin, which seems unusual nowadays.

His record not helped by 0-151 on debut against CardiffMCCU of all people.

91Jmay

International Coach
Quite old to have not played much cricket as well. If we do pick a average spinner, as mentioned above he has to be able to bat which gives Borthwick a real chance at 8 as he has a very good technique to be fair. Don't think he'd make it as a batsmen but as an 8 he'd be great.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
It's more me throwing in a random Somerset player TBH. TBF when he played against Warwickshire he did look quite good, actually tossed it up and tried to beat batsmen inflight and spin, which seems unusual nowadays.

His record not helped by 0-151 on debut against CardiffMCCU of all people.
He was playing for Cardiff MCCU, bowling against a rampaging Nick Compton and James Hildreth. If you want a random Somerset spinner, then surely it would be Dockrell.

mullarkey

School Boy/Girl Captain
Simon Kerrigan will come back, he is too good to disappear without trace. His debut came much too early and his nerves where in bits.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
He was playing for Cardiff MCCU, bowling against a rampaging Nick Compton and James Hildreth. If you want a random Somerset spinner, then surely it would be Dockrell.
Not entirely sure you have a complete grasp of randomness (randominity? Cheesecake?)