• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your World XI of 2013

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah there are still a couple of Tests to play, but it's unlikely they'll change this too much. Pick your World XI based on performances over 2013.

1. Smith
2. Amla
3. Pujara
4. Taylor
5. Clarke
6. Bell
7. de Villiers
8. Ashwin
9. Broad
10. Steyn
11. Harris

Tough. Cheated slightly by picking Amla as an opener, but there were a lack of good openers to pick, and both Amla and Pujara gunned it at #3 so meh. Seemed to be a lot of good bowlers, but few good bats this year.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Yeah crazy how many of the leading run scorers not only average less than 50 but less than 40. I would go with an XI the same as yours so for the sake of difference here's my XI of those who played more than 10 or more tests.

1. D Warner
2. J Root/A Cook/P Fulton
3. K Williamson
4. R Taylor
5. M Clarke
6. I Bell
7. B Watling+
8. S Broad
9. G Swann
10. P Siddle
11. T Boult

vs.

Less than 10

1. G Smith
2. M Vijay
3. H Amla
4. C Pujara
5. S Chanderpaul
6. V Kohli
7. de Villiers+
8. R Ashwin
9. V Philander
10. D Steyn
11. R Harris

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Smith
Warner (might not have got the best record but played some great innings and is an undeniably quality player and there' noone else...)
Amla
Taylor
Clarke
Bell
Haddin (wanted to pick Watling or Devilliers but Haddin's had a great year)
Harris
Siddle
Steyn
Herath (think Ashwin is very far from the finished product as a bowler)

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Smith
Warner (might not have got the best record but played some great innings and is an undeniably quality player and there' noone else...)
Amla
Taylor
Clarke
Bell
Haddin (wanted to pick Watling or Devilliers but Haddin's had a great year)
Harris
Siddle
Steyn
Herath (think Ashwin is very far from the finished product as a bowler)
I like Herath as much as anyone but it's a bit hard to pick him given he's only played 3 tests this year, goes for any SL player really.

I also think Pujara is dreadfully unlucky to miss your team, he excelled in every series he played while Taylor struggled a few too many times IMO.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
forgot Pujara inexplicably. Chuck him in ahead of Taylor.

Had to select either Herath or Ajmal because I don't really rate anyone else. Nathan Lyon, Ojha or Swann would be my next picks.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
This might be one for Steven, of Ask Steven fame, but the Sri Lanka vs Pakistan Test match starts on December 31. Has a Test match ever taken place in two different years? The calendar year stats could look slightly unusual for players of these teams.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
This might be one for Steven, of Ask Steven fame, but the Sri Lanka vs Pakistan Test match starts on December 31. Has a Test match ever taken place in two different years? The calendar year stats could look slightly unusual for players of these teams.
When I was a young lad I thought loads of matches must have been played across two calendar years. Reason being that when they'd show players best scores on the TV and say 'V Australia 93-94' or whatever I assumed that meant it bridged that gap.

Not sure when I became wise to it :ph34r:

Garson007

State Vice-Captain
Warner
Smith
Amla
Pujara
Clarke
Bell
De Villiers
Ashwin
Philander
Harris
Steyn

Bit low on bowling stocks though.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Know some Australian matches during Bradman's time did this

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'm a little confused by the concept.

Are we picking a current World XI, or a team of the year? Because my teams would be very different really.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The calendar year stats could look slightly unusual for players of these teams.
Nah, cricket statisticians have always gone by the idea that whatever you do in a Test essentially happened on the first day of that Test; they use start dates. So everything that happens in that match will be going in the 2013 calender year stats.