• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hiss and a roar then fizzle out XI

jonbrooks

International Debutant
How about an XI made up of players who were brilliant in the beginning of their career and then fizzled (are fizzling) out. Some names come to mind:

Vinod Kambli
Jimmy Adams
Ajantha Mendis*
Doug Bracwell*

*still playing

EDIT - Let's set the requirement for 1 full year of cricket.

Last edited:

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Depends on how many Tests you're using as a qualifier, but Bob Massie a good shout - 16 wickets in his first game, and dropped by his state within a year and a half.

BeeGee

International Captain
Mathew Sinclair. Two double tons in his first two years as a test batsman then sfa.

PEWS to confirm.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ed Smith?

64 in his first test knock, followed by two ducks, a 7 & a 16 before disappearing back to the county championship.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
How many games of hissing and roaring do they need to qualify? Someone like Bracewell had that one awesome game at Hobart, is that enough? If so, add in Hirwani, Krezja, Sami, Sinclair, Blewett as potential options.

EDIT - I should refresh and see if more replies have been made before posting..

Last edited:

jonbrooks

International Debutant
How many games of hissing and roaring do they need to qualify? Someone like Bracewell had that one awesome game at Hobart, is that enough? If so, add in Hirwani, Krezja, Sami, Sinclair, Blewett as potential options.

EDIT - I should refresh and see if more replies have been made before posting..
Good question on how many games. I honestly don't know how to qualify this.

The type of players I'd be looking for are the ones who played well for a period of time and not just one or two tests. Jimmy Adams scored a whole bunch of runs, and was touted as heir apparent, but then fizzled out. Matthew Sinclair would be another who would fit this bill.

EDIT - Let's set the requirement to at least one full year of cricket.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Good question on how many games. I honestly don't know how to qualify this.

The type of players I'd be looking for are the ones who played well for a period of time and not just one or two tests. Jimmy Adams scored a whole bunch of runs, and was touted as heir apparent, but then fizzled out. Matthew Sinclair would be another who would fit this bill.

EDIT - Let's set the requirement to at least one full year of cricket.
Yeah that sounds fair - Add in Narenda Hirwani then for sure and take out Bracewell IMO.

Hirwani's first year match figures:

16/136
8/121
7/175
5/94

= 36/526 @ 14.61 - You would have thought he would finish up with more than 66 Test wickets.

jonbrooks

International Debutant
Yeah that sounds fair - Add in Narenda Hirwani then for sure and take out Bracewell IMO.

Hirwani's first year match figures:

16/136
8/121
7/175
5/94

= 36/526 @ 14.61 - You would have thought he would finish up with more than 66 Test wickets.
Yup, he takes the spinner spot.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Rodney Redmond. Scored a 100 and 50 in his only test match and then his form fell off so badly he never played another test. The ultimate roar and fizzle. :laugh:
Andy Guatameme did a similar thing as well.