• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who should be the next West Indies Test match captain?

Who should be the next West Indies Test Captain

• Dwayne Bravo

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Darren Bravo

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Kirk Edwards

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kieron Pollard

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Denesh Ramdin

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Ramnaresh Sarwan

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
So even the most ardent Darren Sammy supporters now realise the end is nigh. Richard Pybus and Otis Gibson are going to meet in early January to discuss immediate changes to the Test match side. This will definitely include a change in captaincy. We have a huge leadership crisis, so the options are all pretty poor tbh, but I thought it would be interesting to see who would win in a poll here.Here are the candidates that are being spoken about in West Indian cricket circles:

Denesh Ramdin - He would be the bookies favourite. Has a secure place in the side after excellent form over the last 18 months and has been spoken about as a future West Indies Captain ever since his Under 19 days where he was an excellent leader. He is very tactically astute, especially when it comes to setting fields for spinners as that is bread and butter in T & T. He does have one major con though in that he has moments of clear immaturity (Talk nah, claiming a catch at the ICCCT) which would be unbecoming of a captain.

Kirk Edwards - Captained West Indies A and Barbados very successfully. He appears tactically astute and is a definite leader within any dressing room he is a part of. However, he hasn't secured his place in the side yet and the press don't tend to like him as he gives them short shrift most of the time.

Dwayne Bravo - The current ODI captain and a reasonable test match cricketer in the past. He's a very aggressive captain and is well respected by his team-mates. However, he hasn't been in the Test side for a couple of years now so it would be a tough ask.

Darren Bravo - We could go down the South Africa route and give our brightest young batsman the role with the idea being it will be his for a decade or more if all went well. However, he has no captaincy experience at all.

Ramnaresh Sarwan - If he scores mountains of runs during our domestic season, he might do a Carl Hooper and make a triumphant return as captain. Sounds unlikely, but if he was still in the test side he would be the outstanding candidate by quite some distance.

Kieron Pollard - Please don;t laugh too loudly, but this has been mooted by a few journalists including Fazeer Mohammed. This would be as out of the box as it gets. He's a leader within the dressing room for the shorter formats, is an imposing figure and has so far proven tactically astute in his captaincy performances. However, he hasn't played FC cricket for ages, let alone Tests. He's planning to play the entire domestic season so it will be interesting to see what happens if he scores lots of runs.

karan316

State Vice-Captain
I've voted for Pollard, some people might just laugh at it, but tbh, I've found him a lot better than some of the guys whom the WI have picked for their test squads recently, and he is a really good trier, gives it a 100 percent all the time, and can just influence others to put that extra effort.

Last edited:

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
I've voted for Pollard, some people might just laugh at it, but tbh, I've found him a lot better than some of the guys whom the WI have picked for their test squads recently, and he is a really good trier, gives it a 100 percent all the time, and can just influence others to put that extra effort.
I want to see Pollard in the test line-up eventually as he's better than most people think in the longer formats and could really destroy tiring attacks. I'm just not sure how often someone has made their test debut and been captain in the same match.

BeeGee

International Captain
Ramdin may be the favourite, but it's a big ask to captain a side and keep. I'm not saying he can't do it, but it's a huge workload.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
I would love it to be Kirk but he has just not done enough to cement his place in the team to this point. So for now Ramdin by default with Kirk as his deputy.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
ne body but Sammy. He really needs to go and serves no purpose in the team
Its funny how this is a popular opinion after a series where Sammy had the 4th highest batting average and second best bowling average for his team. His catching was top class too. I don't think Sammy is great, but as a third seamer with a Dwayne Bravo as 4th seamer, he is decent and is being treated unfairly due to the inability of the other quick bowlers being selected.

Ideally I would like to see this team: 1) Gayle 2) Brathwaite 3) Bravo 4) Samuels 5) Chanderpaul 6) Bravo 7) Ramdin 8) Sammy (c) 9) Narine 10+11 two quicks, hopefully Roach and Holder.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Gayle/ Powell, Brathwaite, Edwards, Bravo, Chanderpaul, Samuels, Ramdin, Roach, Rampaul, Narine, Cummins.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I want to see Pollard in the test line-up eventually as he's better than most people think in the longer formats and could really destroy tiring attacks. I'm just not sure how often someone has made their test debut and been captain in the same match.
Not often, but it's not totally unprecedented.
1st Test: India v New Zealand at Bangalore, Oct 18-20, 1995 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

That was a short-lived and unsuccessful tenure, but at least it filled the gap until Fleming was (almost) ready to take over. If Pollard did get the nod, hopefully he'd have a better time of it.

JontyPanesar

U19 Vice-Captain
Anybody but Sammy would improve this side just via Sammy's absence.

Is the whole bookie thing the reason why Marlon wouldn't be considered? I realize he had a tough series here, but he still looks like he'll be able to stay in the side for some time.

If not Marlon, I'd go for Darren Bravo. West Indies doesn't need an aggressive captain or a defensive captain. It just needs a captain who can hold his place in the side and thus not hurt the team cause so drastically.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Anybody but Sammy would improve this side just via Sammy's absence.

Is the whole bookie thing the reason why Marlon wouldn't be considered? I realize he had a tough series here, but he still looks like he'll be able to stay in the side for some time.

If not Marlon, I'd go for Darren Bravo. West Indies doesn't need an aggressive captain or a defensive captain. It just needs a captain who can hold his place in the side and thus not hurt the team cause so drastically.
Just don't get the impression that Marlon is always giving his all out there either at the crease or in the field. Ram dun is sadly the only logical choice right now.