• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Test NZ XI vs India

jonbrooks

International Debutant
My test team for NZ vs India in the new year:

Latham
Rutherford
Williamson
Taylor
Ryder
Anderson
Watling
Southee
Sodhi
Wagner
Boult

No McCullum.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Fulton
McCullum
Williamson
Taylor
Ryder
Anderson
Watling
Vettori
Southee
Wagner/Bennett
Boult

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Papps
Latham
Guptill
Broom
Ryder
Brownlie
D de Boorder+
Milne
Patel
McClenaghan
Henry

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Ultimate Experience team:

Latham (MVP)
McCullum (C)
Williamson (7)
Taylor
Ryder (6)
Anderson (4)
Watling
Vettori (5)
Southee (1)
Bennett (3)
Boult (2)

220px-The_Ultimate_Experience.jpg

Last edited:

Days of Grace

International Captain
Ultimate Experience team:

Latham (MVP)
McCullum (C)
Williamson (7)
Taylor
Ryder (6)
Anderson (4)
Watling
Vettori (5)
Southee (1)
Bennett (3)
Boult (2)

View attachment 21047

This.

Love it that either Anderson and Bennett can cover each other's overs if and when one of them breaks down mid-match.

Literally no excuse for any of the quicks feeling jaded either with bowling options coming out of our arses.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
This.

Love it that either Anderson and Bennett can cover each other's overs if and when one of them breaks down mid-match.

Literally no excuse for any of the quicks feeling jaded either with bowling options coming out of our arses.
Yeah, and unlike the Franklin/Todd Astle team modifications, it doesn't compromise the batting because the best batsmen are still in the team. It can't really be said that Brownlie is a better bat than Anderson at 6 anymore.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
How
Guptill
Williamson
Taylor (c)
Ryder
Young
Watling (wk)
Southee
Wheeler
Milne
Boult

:ph34r:

More seriously, leave the squad selection as late as possible and let the openers and reserve seamer options scrap it out in domestix.

McCullum is a frustrating problem. He's the 4th best middle order batsman but I think Anderson is too valuable to drop. IMO we would have found it much harder to bowl Bangladesh and the West Indies out without him chipping in, and his overs give the seamers a break and cover for meltdowns which hurt four man attacks.

As for him opening, the numbers tell the story. After his initial success in the 2010/2011 season he then went on to provide...

season 2011/12 4 24.42 0 1
season 2012 2 21.75 0 0
season 2012/13 4 25.25 0 2

You can't be getting those returns from your skipper. His strike rates were pretty low too, whereas in his purple patch he struck them at 65. Maybe if he opens, just tell him to imitate Sehwag, Gayle, Warner et al?

I don't know what to do about Ryder/McCullum/Anderson tbh

Prensel

U19 Cricketer
Fulton
Rutherford
Williamson
Taylor
Ryder
Mccullum
Watling
Anderson
Vettori
Soutee
Wagner
Bout

**** the rules

Flametree

International 12th Man
NZ is in the nice position of actually having some options in key positions rather than casting around for anyone to fill a problem gap....

McCullum
Rutherford - but if any of Fulton, Guptill, Latham, Papps, Redmond or Flynn are scoring big runs, I'd take them.
Williamson
Taylor
Ryder
Anderson
Watling *
Vettori
Southee
Boult
A.N Other seamer - Wagner is in pole spot but by no means certain.

If Ryder stays in his current form and frame of mind, then he has to play. Anderson is undroppable, so if McCullum wants to play, then he has to open.

I think Wagner bowled just enough good stuff to avoid being "dropped" for poor performance (he almost had Chanderpaul three times in five balls). But if there's someone burning up the Plunket Shield then it's also true that Wagner didn't do enough to avoid being "replaced" by someone who looks like they'll do better. If that distinction makes sense...

In the month prior to the Indian test series, will there be any first class cricket going on? I'm guessing the NZ side will be playing some short-form stuff, but hopefully a few of the contenders for the opening spot and that third seamer's position will have some first class matches to show some form. Ah for a good old fashioned North vs South match...

Last edited:

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Two rounds of PS before the first test v India with a third starting a day after the first test starts

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
North vs South match...
By coincidence I have been thinking of a north vs South match minus the black caps.

North

1 Guptil (akl)
2 Flynn (nd)
3 Cachopa (cd)
4 Carter (nd)
5 Young (cd)
6 CDG (akl)
7 KVW (cd)
8 Bracewell (cd)
9 J Patel (wgn)
10 McKay/Gillespie (wgn)
11 Wheeler (cd)

South
1 Latham (cby)
2 Broom (otg)
3 Brownlie (cby)
4 Ryder (otg)
5 Bracewell (otg)
6 NcCullum (otg)
7 Neesham (otg)
8 DeBoorder (otg)
9 Astle (otg)
10 Henry (cby)
11 Bennet (cby)

South despite only having two teams would walk this, North light on middle order batting.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I'd almost be tempted to give Bennett a go in a couple of ODI's to see how he's looking against intl quality batsmen. If he's booming in at 138-145 kmh and bowling with good accuracy and troubling top order players then play him ahead of Wags. I probably would advocate Wagner's reselection in most circumstances, but I'm a little nervous about playing three left armers against Ashwin... though I suppose with Ryder back in the top 6 there'd no longer be such a right hander bias in the side anymore, so maybe it wouldn't matter.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
if Ryder's back in the top 6 than in some way or other it's either at the expense of Anderson or Rutherford so the right hander bias still exists.