• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sledging or an excuse to get personal?

Spark

Global Moderator
Yep. For the record, I'd have none of it outlawed, as even when Philander did that ****ty send-off I think its part of the game and if ****heads wanna be ****heads then fine.

However, I remember Shoaib or someone getting fined for pointing Hayden back to the pavilion after he got him out. Is there a rule that bowlers can't send-off batsmen?
I remember Lee being pinged for pointing to the pavilion too. Definitely seems to a clear no-no.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yep. For the record, I'd have none of it outlawed, as even when Philander did that ****ty send-off I think its part of the game and if ****heads wanna be ****heads then fine.

However, I remember Shoaib or someone getting fined for pointing Hayden back to the pavilion after he got him out. Is there a rule that bowlers can't send-off batsmen?
Yeah definitely wouldn't outlaw it... Watching them be ****s is fun, too. It's when stuff like race gets into it that it's a problem.

About the pointing o the pavilion thing, it seems rather inconsistent to me. Have seen bowlers getting fined but then Steyn didn't when he did it to Younis, nor did Kohli when he sent off de kock

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I actually wouldn't mind sledging at all if it was in the vein of what Steyn said to Rohit. But we all know that the majority is just middle school insults..

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Sledging is great and I am totally fine with it.
What annoys me are those cry babies who will sledge freely and then when at the receiving end, go crying to mommy and complain to the teacher *cough McGrath cough*
However there are certain things that are unacceptable though and players should be severely reprimanded for them. What Dhawan and Raina did with Watson was unacceptable. They should have been banned.

Last edited:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Decent article by Ed Smith on the topic of sledging here

I don't necessarily agree with him but a good piece for the apposed all the same.

Mark68

School Boy/Girl Cricketer

I don't necessarily agree with him but a good piece for the apposed all the same.
Ed Smith is very good. Not quite as erudite as Brearley, but perfectly capable of becoming our version of Gideon Haigh.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member

I thought his basic argument was spot on - that winning leads to sledging, and not vice versa, as he quite correctly alluded to viz the 1989 series. And the stuff I've read that the Aus performances in this series compared to in India is somehow due to rediscovering their inner mongrel is obviously complete bollox.

His comparison with tennis was interesting, albeit incomplete. The change in behaviour from Connors & McEnroe preceded Federer by quite a while, as anyone who watched Edberg and Sampras will know full well. Whether that was genuinely a change in culture or due to a change in the rules is questionable though. I vaguely remember McEnroe eventually being disqualified quite late on in his career - possibly in Australia, ironically enough - and his look of utter bemusement when an umpire had actually had the balls to apply the rules.

Johnson's interview that was broadcast this morning was rather less edifying, of course. Usual line from his ilk - what he did was fine but KP's time-wasting was soooo unfair.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I detest sledging and hate that it's part of the game. So many people become assholes on the cricketfield in my grade, it was embarrassing

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
I loved sledging. Sledging means getting personal. Screaming out utter filth is not sledging. It needs to be more subtle. In last SL-ENG series Mathews kept reminding Joe Root about the punch he received, and then started discussing finer details of the punch among SL players in front of Root till Root lost focus. The sledge-gate went on four three hours. We don't sledge people easily, but Mathews, Mahela and Kumar are a deadly combo to have for sledging. Not a single four letter word uttered at Root other than his name, even Root used it frequently.

I have sledged people, and I have got very personal as well. But no filth used at all.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
If you don't like sledging and choose not to partake in it yourself that's a position I respect.

Saying it shouldn't happen at all is outright delusional.