• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sledging or an excuse to get personal?

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Could be a breath of air into Luke Vivien's career as a potential enforcer.

Symonds could get a recall as well.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Sports evolve and the same thing applies to Cricket.It's not a gentlemen's game anymore.
When was it ever?? One thing that has always puzzled me and tbh has just never sat right is this fallacy that cricket is the "gentlemen's game" It's a hard edged competitive sport for all walks of life.......I love cricket above all other sports for all manner of reasons, but I don't think it is more honourable or played by a better standard of person than any other.

salman85

International Debutant
I think the 'gentlemen sport' part comes from the fact that the beginnings of the sport were somewhat elitist,or were they not?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Except instead of getting a broken arm they'll be getting a concussion
Well don't run your mouth if you can't back it up. If you said half the **** they say on the field, in the NFL, you be short a couple of kneecaps very quickly. It's a nice deterrent not to pretend to be a tough guy.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Disagree. Words with no punches are pointless. Just as punches with no words are twattish

MyLord

School Boy/Girl Captain
For me cricket is a spectator sport. A contest of skill with ball and bat between teams.

If sledging is a legitimate and acceptable tool for competing with the opponent, then by all means share it with the spectators. Put the stump mike on at full volume in the telecast feed/ground sound system. It would have the added benefit of attenuating the verbal diarrhea of commentators that currently blight telecasts.

J. Kallis
165 Matches, runs 13174@55, wickets 292@32, 199 catches and 3690 career sledges with 142 efffectives*.

*addressed batsman out next ball due to distraction or bowler bowls a long hop next ball

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
For me cricket is a spectator sport. A contest of skill with ball and bat between teams.

If sledging is a legitimate and acceptable tool for competing with the opponent, then by all means share it with the spectators. Put the stump mike on at full volume in the telecast feed/ground sound system. It would have the added benefit of attenuating the verbal diarrhea of commentators that currently blight telecasts.

J. Kallis
165 Matches, runs 13174@55, wickets 292@32, 199 catches and 3690 career sledges with 142 efffectives*.

*addressed batsman out next ball due to distraction or bowler bowls a long hop next ball

Haha, that would be awesome except many parents probably wouldn't be too happy with their kids watching the cricket anymore. Maybe if it was a digital TV toggle option (Stump mic on/off)? Being able to choose what audio streams you get would be so gun, I know it's already been suggested for commentary.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
2 brilliant pieces of sledging that always come to mind are Sangakkara reminding Pollock that he was carrying the expectations of South Africa on his shoulders when he came out to bat, and Flintoff telling Tino Best to "mind the windows" when he was batting.

Calling someone a **** isn't sledging, that's just being a ****. Sledging is supposed to be intelligent and a way of getting under your opponent's skin.